Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good luck go all of the TOP runners heading to the Reedy Race today...
+1 Good luck ya'll and to the local NW guys heading down.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Weird, I had a wtf moment today when looking at a parts order, broke my car the other night so need some new parts, but a friend bought a TC6 the other day, so just because I was curious, went looking at TC6 parts at the same time...

The wtf came when I realized TOP parts don't quite seem all that cheap in comparison to the TC6, a lot of key bits have a fairly large difference in price, so the TOP may still have a sweet kit price, but I'm not so sure I'd recommend it to new players looking for a cheap kit anymore...
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Fast // Cheap // Durable

Pick two.

There may be car/parts that are cheaper than TOP; there are definitely cars/parts more expensive than TOP. While the TC6 is proving to be a competitive car, I don't feel that the Photon or parts are overpriced and the performance of the car speaks for itself. When you look at the other competition, it is hard to find another brand that provides the performance of the Photon at a better price. It's nice to see that Associated is back in the game.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Who's running aluminum pivot balls?

Is the only advantage weight? How much weight is saved when you replace them throughout the car?

What's the difference between the 1.75mm camber plate and the regular aluminum camber plate?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk

Is the only advantage weight? How much weight is saved when you replace them throughout the car?

What's the difference between the 1.75mm camber plate and the regular aluminum camber plate?
The aluminum ball studs have a 2.5mm hex instead of 3mm like the kit steel ones have. Makes it a little easier to get a wrench in because the cup doesn't have to be perfectly straight. I'm not sure how much weight is saved.

I haven't used the aluminum camber plates, but I have used the 1.25mm cf plates. The innermost hole is almost right on top of the bulkhead. I believe the aluminum ones are similar. One set has holes like the kit plates and the other set has the inner most hole lined up above the bulkhead for long camber links. I don't know what the advantage of aluminum over woven carbon is though. The alloy weighs more. Could someone enlighten me on this?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

It looks like the aluminum ones are easier to work on because you don't have to removed the whole plate. That's what I was going for.

So the 1.75mm means the wholes are that much close to the inside allowing longer links?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

no, the 1.75mm plates have basically the same holes as the 2 innermost holes on the kit camber plates.

this is the set that allows for slightly longer links
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nk-Plate-Set-2

here are the cf ones that I have for long links
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Link-Plate-2
Old 05-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Didn't even know those carbon ones existed, thanks!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Didn't even know those carbon ones existed, thanks!
me to
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Fast // Cheap // Durable

Pick two.

There may be car/parts that are cheaper than TOP; there are definitely cars/parts more expensive than TOP. While the TC6 is proving to be a competitive car, I don't feel that the Photon or parts are overpriced and the performance of the car speaks for itself. When you look at the other competition, it is hard to find another brand that provides the performance of the Photon at a better price. It's nice to see that Associated is back in the game.
+1 could not agree more on both points (top & associated being back)
Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
Weird, I had a wtf moment today when looking at a parts order, broke my car the other night so need some new parts, but a friend bought a TC6 the other day, so just because I was curious, went looking at TC6 parts at the same time...

The wtf came when I realized TOP parts don't quite seem all that cheap in comparison to the TC6, a lot of key bits have a fairly large difference in price, so the TOP may still have a sweet kit price, but I'm not so sure I'd recommend it to new players looking for a cheap kit anymore...
If you're comparing the plastic suspension bits, it's because they're from the old TC5 and the TC5 parts were absolutely dirt cheap. So basically what you were doing were comparing already cheap TOP parts to the rock bottom of cheapness TC5 parts.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

I'm actually not all that sure myself, after looking around more I think we are being stitched up just a little on parts pricing, relative to the original kit cost at least for sure...

Fast // Cheap // Durable - Pick any two?, kind of falls apart if you want to base that off the Photon original kit price.

It's not something I noticed when I bought my Photon, all I saw was the really cheap kit price compared to Xray/Tamiya/Shu etc, then loved how it was built and went, but a few things made me go hmm over time.

One of those hmm moments was like the alloy battery mounts, ok I love mine (and they are cool), but then all the other brands came up with their own simple versions recently, all work quite well, except ours cost $20 per mount (TOP should at least make a cheaper plastic/carbon version).

More recent moment was looking at the chassis prices, a year back when the lipo chassis was new (and TOP was near the only brand around with a lipo dedicated chassis), $90+ looked ok, a fair bit later and it's never come down in price, a TC6 chassis is $60, hell a Tamiya 417 chassis is $70.

Only other car in the $90 chassis range is Xray (and Yoko, though I just checked an $83 for the BD5 lipo), and everyone seems to complain Xray gear is expensive, which brings me to the 'big' hmm, I seriously went looking today, and dudes we are paying Xray/Yoko prices for our Top parts, seriously, our kit is bottom 3 to buy, parts though are top 3 in cost?.

Don't get all that in the wrong way either, it's just my rainy day bored observation while net shopping, I like so much about the car, just I can't honestly recommend it as something cheap anymore, and if it comes time for something new (or a chassis change), maybe I'll look at something else.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
I'm actually not all that sure myself, after looking around more I think we are being stitched up just a little on parts pricing, relative to the original kit cost at least for sure...

Fast // Cheap // Durable - Pick any two?, kind of falls apart if you want to base that off the Photon original kit price.

It's not something I noticed when I bought my Photon, all I saw was the really cheap kit price compared to Xray/Tamiya/Shu etc, then loved how it was built and went, but a few things made me go hmm over time.

One of those hmm moments was like the alloy battery mounts, ok I love mine (and they are cool), but then all the other brands came up with their own simple versions recently, all work quite well, except ours cost $20 per mount (TOP should at least make a cheaper plastic/carbon version).

More recent moment was looking at the chassis prices, a year back when the lipo chassis was new (and TOP was near the only brand around with a lipo dedicated chassis), $90+ looked ok, a fair bit later and it's never come down in price, a TC6 chassis is $60, hell a Tamiya 417 chassis is $70.

Only other car in the $90 chassis range is Xray (and Yoko, though I just checked an $83 for the BD5 lipo), and everyone seems to complain Xray gear is expensive, which brings me to the 'big' hmm, I seriously went looking today, and dudes we are paying Xray/Yoko prices for our Top parts, seriously, our kit is bottom 3 to buy, parts though are top 3 in cost?.

Don't get all that in the wrong way either, it's just my rainy day bored observation while net shopping, I like so much about the car, just I can't honestly recommend it as something cheap anymore, and if it comes time for something new (or a chassis change), maybe I'll look at something else.
Photon may be inexpensive, but cheap it is not.
I see your point on parts price kinda. Yeah you can get a tamiya417 chassis for $70 + $25 shipping from overseas. And then wait a month to get it. Trust me, I know. So where have you saved? couple bucks on shipping? Xray parts are way more expensive. You buy an arm from xray and you get 1 per pack. Top gives you front and rear per pack.

Either way, both cars are great performers with fair parts pricing.

BTW TOP does/did have a different(cheaper) battery mount. Came with original kit.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I don't have exact measurements of these items - but I ended up swapping out the following parts to save 18g:

4x top aluminum 30mm tie-rods
8x top aluminum pivot balls (26 included w/in the pack... i didn't use them all yet)
8x top aluminum arm mounts

the arm mounts seem to make a bigger weight difference -- but they are a static weight, while the tie-rods and pivot balls are a sprung weight.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Default standard feature or optional?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.