Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

do you think i can run ass is for 17.5 stock class without all of the upgrades you have done? and is the TE worth getting over the original?

also, if i decide the TE, can i get that and run without optional parts?

Originally Posted by orcadigital
The S411 in my opinion is competitive with the rest of the top tier touring cars. Parts availability varies, but I have had no issues between my LHS and Serpent America down in FL. They have been very helpful to me (I had a mismachined part on my LE which they took care of) and the team drivers on this forum have been very helpful.

There are 3 S411 versions. The original, the LE (limited edition, 300 made, number chassis, tool set, and orange aluminum bits), and the newest TE which has updated shocks, steering rack, and some other small update bits as I recall. The LE is sold out, but you see them for sale used often enough that if you want one, you can get one.

The upgrades I have for mine include springs, sway bars, hinge pin blocks (Tamiya style for different toe settings), DJC (double joint cardan, comparable to Xray ECS) axles, hard plastics (arms, c-hubs, etc available in regular, medium, and hard), v2 steering and the flex top deck. Non Serpent, I run an Xray servo saver, Xray hard front bumper (i hit things), and the Exotek steering bar (helps for me with steering slop) and exotek front bumper plate (safety bit to protect the chassis in a front hard impact). As you can see, most everything is either tuning related or durability, and nothing really is necessary.

My understanding is the 411 is awesome on asphalt, and pretty darn good on carpet. As we get more drivers putting in laps on carpet, I know I have been finding more setups and more advice that has helped me get my car dialed in.

Sorry for the wordy summary, but it's free.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
Just wanted to give you guys on the thread a heads up. I have two S411's for sale, haven't posted them yet. Both have most V2/TE options, tons of spares, mint condition. Priced right, PM me if you're interested before they go on buy/sell.

Jim C.
Details and pics now on the buy/sell thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ferrerid=27752

Last edited by pcar951; 06-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
do you think i can run ass is for 17.5 stock class without all of the upgrades you have done? and is the TE worth getting over the original?

Absolutely you can. TE will have some of those upgrades, but I don't think any are necessary. I think you will want to get a spring set of some kind for tuning (HPI and AE both have inexpensive sets that works very well in the $15-$20 range). You will need a servo saver (car comes with a horn), and you can get a Kimbrough for ~$5 or go fancy with an Xray one at ~$12. Tires, body, electronics, you are good to go.

The big difference I have noticed from offroad to onroad is the degree of setup. Onroad has a lot of possible adjustments, and the drivabilty window seems much smaller (meaning you car needs to be more dialed in just to get around the track). Offroad (to my limited experience) seems to be about 80% tires, 20% tuning. The onroad classes I seem to run always have a spec tire, so it is always 100% tuning. If you get a spring set, you can do enough adjustment with the rest of the car to have the car more then driveable almost everywhere.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been running an original kit for 3-4 months now and it is plenty fast in 17.5.... I just bought a lot of parts from a friend so I'll have the v2 upgrades to play with.

Like orca said, having another spring set is a great tuning aid. I have a mild spring fetish and it's probably the setup part I change the most.

HPI and XRAY springs work great..... on asphalt XRAY 3.0/2.6 is money, and on carpet I ran HPI pink (15.2)/XRAY teal (15.0).

I had an awesome 17.5 setup written down somewhere.... when I find it I'll type it up. I've been doing extreme setup changes on asphalt just to try stuff out so I don't remember the original off the top of my head.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you get the TE, you will have all the option parts on the car from the start, or at least the ones that work the best for most situations. The only good/bad deal with the TE is (good) you get the new style shocks, (bad) you get the new style shocks. I say this because the old style shocks are so easy to build and change, BUT, the new ones seem to be pretty nice as well. (I haven't had the chance to do a back to back tests with them yet, to follow soon.)

The only thing I would consider getting is a hard bumper for the car, (I hit too, boy do I hit), but from what I've seen no other kit comes with a hard bumper either. I like the added protection that it gives, although the bumper is not what covers the corners that I have peeled off of the car so far.

If you're looking for build tips, do a search under my name on here, for one, as I have tried to document anything of note that I've found for the car on here, ALSO Cwoods, Tim Potter, Martin Crisp are other good searches here......or you could start from the beginning of this thread as there is tons of valuable info on here.

For setups, go to the Serpent website as well as Petit RC, they both have many setups for carpet and asphalt.

OR just get on here and ask, there is lots of great guys willing to help you out.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

what's the deal on the tires? are the pre-trimmed? how is the wear and cost?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Depends, what surface do you plan to race on?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Depends, what surface do you plan to race on?
parking lot (asphalt)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

parking lot (asphalt)
I'd recommend Solaris mediums (or hard if there's lotsa bite), and I use LG2 compound with tire warmers.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd also check with whichever group you plan on running with, they may have a spec tire, compound or both, that you may have to run with. They probably will also have a good idea what combo works for the surface they are on. Once that's established you can always tune the car to what you end up with.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

A few questions.

1) what are all of the v2 upgrades?
2) are these ball diffs? I'm assuming yes
3) is there a certain weight lipo I need to use. I have nano tech 5600 packs.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default 411 TE SPECS

A few questions.

1) what are all of the v2 upgrades?
2) are these ball diffs? I'm assuming yes
3) is there a certain weight lipo I need to use. I have nano tech 5600 packs.

All the information you may seek is located at

http://www.serpent.com/product/400012

Cheers

Ren
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

thanks!

which esc are you guys using for 17.5 spec?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

thanks!

which esc are you guys using for 17.5 spec?
Pick your poison... without boost, you can choose whatever your budget allows. I like LRP but Hobbywing would be a good choice if trying to save a few bux. It's really up to you.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Pick your poison... without boost, you can choose whatever your budget allows. I like LRP but Hobbywing would be a good choice if trying to save a few bux. It's really up to you.
ok, just making sure there is no strong advantage from one vs another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.