Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm
Can anybody give me an unbiased opinion on the pros and cons of these two
Gt class cars??? Which one would you buy and why. Is one clearly better than the other one???

On engine department. Anyone knows power figures on the Kyosho GXR 28SG and the OFNA Force .28 ??

Thanks
AFM
Check out this site. They have the dyno results for a bunch of .21 and .28 engines.

http://hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419

Lee Muse
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Alfonso,

Tested both, got OFNA. Man its a Jammin made for onroad, its a tank, and the parts are bulletproof, the 2 speed box it takes all kind of engines up to .28 RB or .21 C6 RB without any claim.

Powerwise, the .28 from OFNA its a lot more engine than the Kyosho one.

Try to contact XTREME Hobbies in Lima-Peru, they will be importing GT's for Peru market, and maybe in a couple months i will be there with you guys showing the class !! (i have a visit planed as CEN Racing offroad buggy driver and will travel with my GT too).

Call me if you need anything my friend !! +56 9 93385848,

cya !

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Thanks Pato

I will compile your opinion as well as others, if they come,....

es un ejercicio que estoy haciendo para demostrarles a unos cabeza dura algo

I'm in constant touch with Adelmo and Ivonne at Xtreme...we are talking about the possibility of a consultory service for them....that is how they got TM....can't say any more...they told me they were in touch with you....

cuando hables con ellos solo diles quien fue to sen sei...jajajajaja...no en serio..

Bye
AFM
Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by afm
Gt class cars??? Which one would you buy and why. Is one clearly better than the other one???

Thanks
AFM
This is the "GT" car that set the TQ at the "Great Lakes Challenge" just last weekend.

Joe Retherford + Kyosho IGT2, LRP .28, JP2 Pipe, Ipanema Black Hawk Transmission and Ipanema Slicks = the Win too!

Last edited by Jspeed; 08-11-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Add the GLC GT Class race winner's name.. Joe Retherford
Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm

On engine department. Anyone knows power figures on the Kyosho GXR 28SG and the OFNA Force .28 ??

Thanks
AFM
After owning both cars ( igt1 igt2 and OFNA DM1 SPEC ) The DM1 is the car to get. No tran problem or diff problem and no 150.00 tran upgrade. It has more set up options and a beter price. The gxr 28 is junk, the Force 28 is the better motor. Go with the DM1 for the best GT race car, or go with the igt 1or 2 for bashing.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm
Thanks Pato

I will compile your opinion as well as others, if they come,....

es un ejercicio que estoy haciendo para demostrarles a unos cabeza dura algo

I'm in constant touch with Adelmo and Ivonne at Xtreme...we are talking about the possibility of a consultory service for them....that is how they got TM....can't say any more...they told me they were in touch with you....

cuando hables con ellos solo diles quien fue to sen sei...jajajajaja...no en serio..

Bye
AFM

Tranquilo amigo, te envie 2 PM's, dales un vistazo ...

Good luck on your research !

cya !
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Opinion on the two GT car models

I have raced both the IGT1 and the DM1 Spec. I would recommend the DM1 Spec first because of its durability and chassis setup capability.
I installed the Evolva transmission mod, plus Kyosho 3 shoe clutch to my IGT1 and the drivetrain has been reliable.

Once you address unreliable components on any car, the performance at the track is dependent on the chassis setup, and gearing. You can only put down so much power in the turns with these cars.
The racers that have an optimal chassis setup for instance the IGT2 car that TQ'd in the GLC (referenced a few posts back), will perform well at most tracks. The on power performance of that car in the infield is very good, very balanced.
The question becomes, how much effort meaning setup/test time, addressing parts failure etc do you have to expend? To focus on chassis setup for your driving style, you do not want to get sidetracked with part failures.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Both cars have their attributes and faults. I have not owned the OFNA car, so I have no opinion on its reliability. I currently own both the IGT and IGT2. Outside of the 2nd gear issue and engine reliability issue of the original IGT, it has been a great car for me. I have a sound set-up on my IGT1 (which I race regularly) and before the Ipanema tranny upgrade, the only change I made was replacing the GXR 28 with a Sportwerks 26ps and header, using the stock pipe. In my area, the OFNAs and IGT2 with engines more powerful than mine can't touch my IGT1, even with its faults. If you don't set the car up properly and learn how to drive it, it doesn't matter which one you get, you will not have much success, period.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
The racers that have an optimal chassis setup for instance the IGT2 car that TQ'd in the GLC (referenced a few posts back), will perform well at most tracks. The on power performance of that car in the infield is very good, very balanced.
The question becomes, how much effort meaning setup/test time, addressing parts failure etc do you have to expend? To focus on chassis setup for your driving style, you do not want to get sidetracked with part failures.
The key to being fast in the infield is "balance" like you said. Weight distribution affects "balance", something to look at in both designs

Failure of plastic parts, suspension & sway-bar holders, shock absorbers and throttle linkages are something most will just have to learn about on their own over the long run during racing impacts.

The ability to choose from several bodies allows for many different "aero-handling" traits. This help cars a lot more than some would like to admit in hi-speed track performance.

Good luck
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
afm
Tech Master

Thanks to all you guys for your inputs.

It is clear to me, as most of you agree, that each car has it's isssues, that once addressed, and each at different price, both are capable cars.

At the end, like every motorsport, the best tuning and set up will point you to podium.....but then, "it is the shooter and not the bullet" which will make you a winner....

Down here we are trying to put in practice our rules, which allow any shaft driven 1/8th car, buggy based platform (no belts) to race together, but the Kyosho boys (only car so far), are afraid of an enormous disadvantage over the DM1 Spec, or any other car as a matter of fact.
We believe there is no such advantage, considering we run only rubber tires, limited option engines, limited fuel, strict weight and dimensions tech.

AFM
Old 08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ADAN
After owning both cars ( igt1 igt2 and OFNA DM1 SPEC ) The DM1 is the car to get. No tran problem or diff problem and no 150.00 tran upgrade. It has more set up options and a beter price. The gxr 28 is junk, the Force 28 is the better motor. Go with the DM1 for the best GT race car, or go with the igt 1or 2 for bashing.
The IGT looks better!

Last edited by rpespo; 08-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

YES IT DOES!!!

There's a new Aston Martin DBR9 for the GT2
Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah I readily admit I bought the IGT because of the realistic looks. And I also admit it does have some issues. I had alot of problems with the stock motor. It would run great one day, and not start the next. Very frustrating. Never had a problem with the 2-speed though.

One thing is for sure, the DM-1 cannot come close to the realistic look of the IGT.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Rookie

I might as well throw my .02cents in.

The only real problem with the GT2 is the transmission...(get the Impanema and be done with this problem)

As for the OFNA it has the Horizontal shocks which add alot of play to the suspension. (front) this is why I was against the OFNA, it simply was to sloppy on a brand new car.

I simply felt the GT2 with an upgraded transmission was the easier choice.

In Cincinnati a fellow racer has an OFNA and a GT2....he plays with the OFNA and races the GT2!

The GT2 has worked very well for me from day 1....It responds to chassis changes and is always easy to drive. Durability has been very good (other than transmission) it is a very good car.

Joe Retherford
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Wacko, we missed you Sunday!

Are you going to wheel some 1/12th scale this fall? I am... bring it!

James
Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

dm-1 owners i went on ebay and found a jammin x2 truggy chasis and put dm-1 parts on it and now i can use all he gt2 bodies with no tranny problems and the car runs great so when i race it has a truggy base chasis for those strict rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.