Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New Foam GT tire

Many clubs allow the use of FOAM tires in their GT Open Class. Until recently there was only one choice but that has just changed.

BSR has just released a foam GT car tire that definitely raises the bar as far as lap time and tire life are concerned. Just like in the touring car class there is one compound for the front of the car and another for the rear.

I had the honor of trying the first set of these tire and found that on our track I could get 3 races out of a set while running at a pace I was never in the past able to achieve.

Today other racers at our track had an opportunity to try these tires and their feedback was very positive. They experienced new personal best times because their car was totally glued to the track.

These tires are now available.

Lee
Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What was the duration of the races, and what kind of track surface (tennis grade asphalt type, parking lot/street grade asphalt) were the races run on ?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds good. but the type of surface these were run on and the duration of the races is very important, were these used for the qualifiers as well or just the races?
The other factor is cost for a full set.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ViLL
I ran the Ipanema 55 shore slick tires out here in Vegas this past Sunday for a club race. Ambient temps were 105+ degrees, track surface temps must have been even hotter....anyways, the Ipanema tires were on point!

I also have to mention the fact that they were an old set of tires as I have over 1 gallon on them
Track temp was 139 degrees, measured.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
What was the duration of the races, and what kind of track surface (tennis grade asphalt type, parking lot/street grade asphalt) were the races run on ?
The track surface is more of a tennis court type asphalt. It is dark and the track temp changes a lot over the course of a day. In the mornings (cool track) we had great traction with rubber tires but as the day progressed our cars would get extremely loose. Most of us had many different shores of rubber tires that we switched to as the day progressed trying to chase the track temp.

I know tire life is important because tires are one of the major cost of on-road racing. I was initially against changing to foam for GT cars due to what I thought would be increased cost to race this class and I voted against the change but lost. However, I found I like the consistency that foams gives makes racing more fun because we are not guessing which set of rubber tires to put on the car. Lap times are faster too.

To give you a point of reference regarding tire life;
1) with a 1/8 scale car (Evolva from a couple of years ago) I could barely make 1 set of tires last an entire day and on occasion I had to use 2 sets.
2) On my Kyosho GT car I could get through the day on a set of OFNA foam (Blue front and Green rear) but they were shot and unusable for another race day.
3) On rubber tires on the Kyosho GT I can get 2 to 3 races before they wear through.
4) on these new BSR tires I got almost 3 race weekends before I had to change them due to the rear being too small compared to the front. The fronts are still fine but about 5 to 6mm larger than the rear.

If your Club allows foam tires on GT cars then you should take a look at these tires.

Lee
Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Winnerscircle,
Can you post pictures of the new BSR Foam tires for the GT.
Just trying to get an idea of how the wheel is designed.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timmo
Winnerscircle,
Can you post pictures of the new BSR Foam tires for the GT.
Just trying to get an idea of how the wheel is designed.
I will take a picture tonight and post it on the website.

Lee
Old 07-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I will take a picture tonight and post it on the website.

Lee
Pictures are on the website.

Lee
Old 07-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Timmo, just say no to foams!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rpespo
Timmo, just say no to foams!

Just like seeing options for the IGT.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
Pictures are on the website.

Lee
Lee,
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

GLARCRC will be racing at the Artesia Transit Center this weekend and the club is jumpstarting the GT class. Dust off those GT/DM-1 cars, that class was really getting off to a good start and then seemed to vanish!!, ashame to see all those investment $$$ collecting dust. We will be great weather this weekend so come on out and have some fun!!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gwilli2001us
GLARCRC will be racing at the Artesia Transit Center this weekend and the club is jumpstarting the GT class. Dust off those GT/DM-1 cars, that class was really getting off to a good start and then seemed to vanish!!, ashame to see all those investment $$$ collecting dust. We will be great weather this weekend so come on out and have some fun!!
LOL, I bought some brand new Impanema tires about 5 months ago and haven't used it since. Still in the package. Got tired of coming out and seeing only one other car to race with. Not sure why, the hobby shops were selling them well. I guess people just want to bash with it than race. Last time I went out to GLARCRC, all I saw were 1/8 and 1/10 and one GT car sitting in the pits.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gwilli2001us
You should post this on the Inferno GT proboards forum. There were some guys from SoCal recently asking about racing in the area.

http://infernogt.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Ipanema Black Hawk SR transmission conversion kits for IGT1 & IGT2 cars are now available at Leisure Hours Hobbies too.

They are legal for use in Leisure Hours' GT Class racing events.

Leisure Hours Hobbies 2712 Plainfield Road, Joliet, Illinois 60433
Phone: (815) 439-1477

http://joomla.leisurehobby.net/index.php

Good luck at the races!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.