Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8T 2.0 RTR vs Hot Bodies D8T

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You'll want to stock up on some extra diff fluid also. I switched to Losi oils because they have a broader range of weights for shocks and Diffs. The kit gives you just enough for 1 fill, and none leftover. You'll also need some air filter oil and after run oil.

clutch spring tool makes putting springs on a lot easier http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXJKN2&P=K
Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike881
Basically on stormer hobbies, my cart is set at $779 with the D8T with the starter box, 2 hitec 7954 servos, an orion motor/pipe combo. I still need a battery but not worrying too much about that. I will have to build it slowly, about a month or so. Is paying that much worth it compared to just buying the 8T RTR?

Difficult decision, and you guys have a lot of valuable points which is making it even harder
What orion motor/pipe combo are you looking at? It really depends which one you want. They are both good deals. The thing I like about building a kit up is that you get to pick the running gear you want. This means you will be starting out with the stuff you want for racing. The D8T is a good truggy. I would look at it less as whether the truck is worth it, and more as whether the gear you are putting on it is worth the cost difference. I would think that one is a no brainer. Race gear vs. RTR gear(engine, pipe, electronics). Both truggies are very capable. I think it comes down to what goes into them. If you can put what you want into the D8T, that would be my choice. The losi RTR's are great and are basically 90% race ready, but you don't get to choose the running gear you want.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

yes this is wrth doing. You will eventually want something better on that 8ight t and you will end up spending way more money in the long run. So just save up and do what you have to do. What orion motor are you looking at? Also you could get a lower quality thorrtle servo to save you money. You dont need something with so much tourge.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Basically on stormer hobbies, my cart is set at $779 with the D8T with the starter box, 2 hitec 7954 servos, an orion motor/pipe combo. I still need a battery but not worrying too much about that. I will have to build it slowly, about a month or so. Is paying that much worth it compared to just buying the 8T RTR?

Difficult decision, and you guys have a lot of valuable points which is making it even harder
sounds like a good deal.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the Losi 8ight t 2.0 rtr and i have to say outside of the horrible servos that come with it, once i changed them i was floored by this addition to my collection. I also bought the race roller and i'm taking my time building it right now and getting the right components to complete it. So i got the rtr for the season this year and so far its doing damn good and i'm competing very well. Plus it comes with everything that you need to start racing after servos. I havent used the other model in question but after running this losi i wont buy anything else at this moment
Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcdude236
yes this is wrth doing. You will eventually want something better on that 8ight t and you will end up spending way more money in the long run. So just save up and do what you have to do. What orion motor are you looking at? Also you could get a lower quality thorrtle servo to save you money. You dont need something with so much tourge.
what is a good throttle servo then? cmon, I'd love to save money!

How's this combo? I dont know if it will work, but let me know. If it doesn't work, I still like the ones the other people recommended

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=ORN80668
Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

and anybody wanna tell me what ports are?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i run hitec 645 on my throttle and hitec 7955 on steering on my D8T
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

and anybody wanna tell me what ports are?
ok so basically a port is like uhh hard to explain you will get someone to explain better. The more ports the faster. So a 7 port is usally the highest port it goes. but the 7 port will have leess bottom end. The 5 port is in the middle on top end and bottom end and then the 3 port has the most bottom end with the least top end. Also with more ports comes more gas consumption. With a truggy i would recommend a 5 port
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

here is a good steering servo. It is just like the hitec 7955tg servo but made by a differnt brand, I have the servo and i love it.... The second servo would do just fine for thorttle. That tourqe is at 4.8v and 6v i think its like 150 and its plenty there is my set up as far as servos. They work great. There is the engine i highly recommend its on sell and they are great engines. it comes with and extra con rod. Great motor and its on sell. You might kinda have to order around on the parts but at towershobbies if you spend 150 you get 20 dollars off.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPHD6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMUS3&P=7

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

I'd personally recommend spending the money for a good throttle servo. Don't skimp just because it "might" be OK. I like your original choice for servos. Hitec 7955 is the toughest servo on the block. The 7954's are based on the 7955(basically the same, just with steel gears in place of titanium/helps cut a bit of costs, but should still be plenty strong). Plus this way you don't need a regulator for your lipo receiver battery. If you run a lower end Hitec servo, you will need a regulator, and now you could have just had the better servo for the same $$$. I say stick with the 7954's or 7955's. Don't waste your time with cheap servos. You WILL spend more in the end.

That Orion engine is a pretty good one, but for the little extra $$ I would just go with the Werks B5. They're both sirio based, but the werks is a 5 port, has the new 2010 carb, and has awesome support on here from the owner of Werks(Ron). Check out the Werks B5 thread in this section and you will see what I mean. No extra connecting rods needed.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the orion carbs are not that great, they are the same as the ones on the Jammin JPX 21 basically but they have problems and the slide wears out quick and you have to JB weld them in a certain place to keep them running consistent, trust me, i know from experience .
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I'd personally recommend spending the money for a good throttle servo. Don't skimp just because it "might" be OK. I like your original choice for servos. Hitec 7955 is the toughest servo on the block. The 7954's are based on the 7955(basically the same, just with steel gears in place of titanium/helps cut a bit of costs, but should still be plenty strong). Plus this way you don't need a regulator for your lipo receiver battery. If you run a lower end Hitec servo, you will need a regulator, and now you could have just had the better servo for the same $$$. I say stick with the 7954's or 7955's. Don't waste your time with cheap servos. You WILL spend more in the end.

That Orion engine is a pretty good one, but for the little extra $$ I would just go with the Werks B5. They're both sirio based, but the werks is a 5 port, has the new 2010 carb, and has awesome support on here from the owner of Werks(Ron). Check out the Werks B5 thread in this section and you will see what I mean. No extra connecting rods needed.

The tower hobbies servo is a great servo. It is a hitec servo with a different name. I love mine and they have a good cs. It doesnt say it but yes you can run that servo with a lipo battery and no reg.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
the orion carbs are not that great, they are the same as the ones on the Jammin JPX 21 basically but they have problems and the slide wears out quick and you have to JB weld them in a certain place to keep them running consistent, trust me, i know from experience .
Yes, on SOME of the orion engines that is true. Orion engines are made by both Picco(same as jammin) and Sirio. The alpha line of Orion engines is made by sirio and most use the older style composite sirio carb. Neither of those 2 carbs are great IMO.

Originally Posted by rcdude236
The tower hobbies servo is a great servo. It is a hitec servo with a different name. I love mine and they have a good cs. It doesnt say it but yes you can run that servo with a lipo battery and no reg.
Yeah the CS170 is a Hitec 5955. I'm not sure if the warranty would be as good as the Hitec warranty, but otherwise that servo is identical to the 5955(predecessor to the 7955 and 7954). Very good servo!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How's this combo? I dont know if it will work, but let me know. If it doesn't work, I still like the ones the other people recommended

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=ORN80668
Good choice on the motor. I absolutely loved mine. It has an amazing amount of bottom end with a very good top. Instead of the 2066 pipe, I recommend the 2013. Best pipe for all Sirio based motors period.

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
The motor he linked is the Sirio based one. The carbs on my two Orions have never had problems. Set your linkage to pull the carb straight and you should never have problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.