Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The KO Sc 1.5 only goes to 6 so I'll roll one back from there, but when you temp your motor, where do you shoot from? Off the label, or the end bell or a couple of places?

Thanks
since you posted again. i was at timing 6, FDR of 4.1 last sat. at our local carpet track (73x73). (trinity duo, middle hole timing) i settled on timing 5 (customized the front end of my profile for more punch) and kept the same fdr. temps stayed the same. PM me or post in the BMC thread if you need more help.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They are on smaller tracks.
And its been a while since I ran my Ko....EXCUUSSSSEEE ME!
Call it what you will profile or timing ... realistically its the same difference.
But for whom it may concern perhaps you all should just put your fastest motors in and gear the crap out of them till you let the smoke out. If I give someone a conservative starting point then they will have something to race again in the future. Your input is more than welcome but Jesus Christ man.....
Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey John, no excussess needed, I understood what you are getting at. I'll give them a try.

Hebiki, is that a modified "goop" profile? And what temps where you seeing? Can I get a copy of it, or do you have it posted somewhere?

For both of you, again, where are you shooting your temps at? I'd just like to be consistant with what your doing. I usually temp off of the lable of the motor.

How soon do you do your temp readings, as I've had on a few occassions, had a motor come off warm but when re-checking a minute or so later the temp is higher than from initial reading.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hey John, no excussess needed, I understood what you are getting at. I'll give them a try.

Hebiki, is that a modified "goop" profile? And what temps where you seeing? Can I get a copy of it, or do you have it posted somewhere?

For both of you, again, where are you shooting your temps at? I'd just like to be consistant with what your doing. I usually temp off of the lable of the motor.

How soon do you do your temp readings, as I've had on a few occassions, had a motor come off warm but when re-checking a minute or so later the temp is higher than from initial reading.

Thanks for the input guys.
it's not a goop setting. its a setting from Robert Morris (owner of Ko Propo USA). my car was coming off at 155-163deg F. im not sure if the motor cools down from the time i pull over when the race ends to the time i get down from the drivers stand to temp the car. profile is not posted yet. i havent had a chance to get a screenshot.

i temp the motor in 2 places. from the bottom of the chassis (so the can itself) and on the end bell. usually do it twice to make sure.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

I take the temperature in the middle of the top of the motor.
Theoretically the hottest spot.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
it's not a goop setting. its a setting from Robert Morris (owner of Ko Propo USA). my car was coming off at 155-163deg F. im not sure if the motor cools down from the time i pull over when the race ends to the time i get down from the drivers stand to temp the car. profile is not posted yet. i havent had a chance to get a screenshot.

i temp the motor in 2 places. from the bottom of the chassis (so the can itself) and on the end bell. usually do it twice to make sure.
Hey Chris, are you running the timing advance at 3 on the ESC? For OCRC I turned it down from 2 to 1 to get more rip out of the corners and it really seemed to work well on that track.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Hey Chris, are you running the timing advance at 3 on the ESC? For OCRC I turned it down from 2 to 1 to get more rip out of the corners and it really seemed to work well on that track.
lol. nope. im at "5". and went down from 6. i also geared down.

so i went from:
timing 6 -- 3.9 FDR
to:
timing 5 -- 4.1 FDR

i also lowered the first 6 steps of the profile to the lowest setting and smoothed out the entire thing to be more linear. BUT.. this is for 17.5, not 13.5. im sure the change i made to the throttle profile will work the same for 13.5.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by penmark67
And the 4mm under the rear inner link will give less grip than 3mm ?
This gives more grip by lowering the rear RC. It also gives a very nice amount of camber change for most tracks

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
sorry mark it's me being lazy not typing the 1 in

i use 1C 1C and will go to 1D 1D on the front

i have on the front camber spacer the base asphalt set up and rear is 4mm inner and 3 outer i think

base asphalt set up with softer springs and no rear roll bar and 40 oil in the shocks , slightly longer wheel base and 1XA 1D rear ,

car feels good but not as planted as my mates Xray 009 and i want it too and know it can ... i need this half second a lap
If you're loosing to an 009 in low grip then your setup does need some work It's pretty easy to see why you've got a bit of push though, so it's an easy fix. Your front rc is a bit high, and your rear rc is a bit low, the longer wheelbase is stopping rotation, and the no rear sway bar wont be helping in the fast bends

Here is my setup again, copy the roll centres and wheelbase and see how you go. I run this wheelbase everywhere and always have, it just seems spot on. Also, when you say you're running softer springs, what are they? and what is the ambient temp when you race
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-craigm-2009-muchmore-masters-sma-20090524.jpg  
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
This gives more grip by lowering the rear RC. It also gives a very nice amount of camber change for most tracks
wait. raising the rear inner camber link increase grip because the roll center is lowered?? i thought it's the opposite... i'm officially confused
Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by over gear
wait. raising the rear inner camber link increase grip because the roll center is lowered?? i thought it's the opposite... i'm officially confused

high rc = less grip
low rc = more grip

More shims on hub raises the rc
More shims on the bulkhead lowers the rc
Shims under the suspension blocks raise the rc
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Lord

here you go dude...

here's the profile i ran at Reedy. Trinity Duo 17.5, Middle hole timing, i dont remember my FDR ThunderPower 40C 5000 lipo.

here's the profile i ran last Saturday at our Carpet Track - Round 1 of RCGT Showdown..... Trinity Duo 17.5, Middle hole timing, FDR of 4.1. ThunderPower 40C 5000 lipo.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default $

Originally Posted by CraigM

high rc = less grip
low rc = more grip

More shims on hub raises the rc
More shims on the bulkhead lowers the rc
Shims under the suspension blocks raise the rc
OK , lets talk money ,....how much is it going to cost me to get you to the SA Titles and..............setup my car whilst here
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Thanks for the screenshots Chris, I'm going to run mod today, but for racing I'll have to give those settings a shot since nobody wants to run mod...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Lord

Thanks for the screenshots Chris, I'm going to run mod today, but for racing I'll have to give those settings a shot since nobody wants to run mod...
getting my netbook in the next week or so.. so ill be able to use that at the track. if we're ever at the same race and robert is not around.. we'll be able to tweak your esc.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by penmark67
OK , lets talk money ,....how much is it going to cost me to get you to the SA Titles and..............setup my car whilst here

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.