Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HornyToad
Second rear diff in as many races. Pinion strips... its a gear diff. Took extra care this time shimming it, but I need to learn to properly mesh the gears. Any tips on where should teeth meet? I am not sure if I need to move the pinion or the ring.
Will know if I did a better job this time on sunday...
Strange that you are stripping the rear bevel gears. Are you running big horsepower classes? I've yet to shred the ring or input gears even after many big races this year.

As mentioned you want to shim the diff so that the ring gear sits closer to the input gear (closer teeth mesh). I probably have 2 or 3 .1mm shims on the ring gear side. I then sometimes add 1 .1mm shim on the opposite side so that the gear mesh doesn't get too tight due to play. I don't shim the input gear because it doesn't help me any.
Shimming is an 'artform' but you start to get a good feel after a while Just make sure the gear teeth are max fully engaged after shimming and if they then feel bound up then remove 1 shim or use a thinner shim.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I've only shredded one ring/pinion gear when I first built my cars last yet due to bad shimming. Once I figured it out, they have been great. Only other problem I had was when my front spool screws backed out inside the gear box and got caught between the gears. I was running on track and out of no where my car just locked up. I bumped the throttle a couple times and it was good. A few laps later, same thing. It was confusing the hell out me. Finally, I just lost all front drive and bakes and figured the gears were stripped. Took gearbox apart and all 4 screws were in bottom of gearbox with both gears almost smooth. Loctite lesson learned.

I'm sure that shimming will become a much easier and consistant once an alternative to the plastic/carbon gearboxes becomes available.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

I used the Evo 6ms this year at Tamiya World championship in Japan. Had a blast with it. I did make the A main which is great consider my baseline setup is very very far from the setup I ended up at. I noticed the aluminum chassis is extremely responsive and might be too stiff for track condition over there. In the beginning with almost box stock setup the car is extremely responsive but way too twitchy. At the end I had to do a lot to calm the car down. The tuning window is very narrow with the aluminum chassis installed as well I noticed. But overall I'm impressed with it's performance and balance.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Could anybody tell me if exosix is acceptable use 64P gears in 17.5 blinky race in carpet?

Best regards
Old 12-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I would recommend 48p. I stripped 3 64p spurs in 5 races. No fun.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Could anybody tell me if exosix is acceptable use 64P gears in 17.5 blinky race in carpet?

Best regards
no issues with 64p for me. I run on carpet.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also want to point out that after perfectly shimming your diff, you will want to break it in a little bit and check it again before going racing. After three races, check it again... If it stays with about the same amount of play, you're golden.....
Old 12-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey MikeR, any plans to make a black evo6 conversion?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jessele
Hey Mike, I'm hoping to catch your attention when you read the above post to try and see if you have an update and hopefully a prototype pic of the aluminum bulkheads for the Exo 6!

Any updates that you can share?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
Hey Mike, I'm hoping to catch your attention when you read the above post to try and see if you have an update and hopefully a prototype pic of the aluminum bulkheads for the Exo 6!

Why would you want aluminum bulkheads?
EXO 6 is a great car, aluminum bulkheads would only affect its flex character.

But if you really want them, why not just build the EXO 5?

Cheers,
Vlad
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Hi All,

Originally Posted by jessele
No, no plans sorry. Small market, too many parts, not enough return, already have blue parts in stock

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2

Unfortunately the factory has been very backlogged and I'm still waiting on the prototypes. They say they are making them now though...

Originally Posted by vlad_sa
Why would you want aluminum bulkheads?
EXO 6 is a great car, aluminum bulkheads would only affect its flex character.

But if you really want them, why not just build the EXO 5?

Cheers,
Vlad
Ours will help with better bearing fit, better alignment for tweak and top plate holding, better camber durability and alignment and will be readily available unlike the Evo5
Old 12-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR

Ours will help with better bearing fit, better alignment for tweak and top plate holding, better camber durability and alignment and will be readily available unlike the Evo5
Mike,

I've no doubt they won't be superior. I'll be getting a set for sure once they're released. What I wanted to say is that I never had a feeling stock bulkheads were issue in my EVO 6. There are so many little things to think about before getting down to the bulkheads.

Cheers,
Vlad
Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vlad_sa
Mike,

I've no doubt they won't be superior. I'll be getting a set for sure once they're released. What I wanted to say is that I never had a feeling stock bulkheads were issue in my EVO 6. There are so many little things to think about before getting down to the bulkheads.

Cheers,
Vlad
Yes stock bulkheads still gets the job done and at a fraction of the price
Old 12-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys.

I'm considering buying an evo 6 ms to run indoor 13.5 boosted.

Does it come with all required shims? If not what parts will I need?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Anybody?

I really want this car but not if its going to be unreliable running boosted 13.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.