Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

A little more negative camber, clipping the outside row of knobs from the tires, a stiffer front swaybar and/or oil and spring, and raising the front camer link on the shock tower will all help reduce traction rolling.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

lower ride height,
Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

The first things I would try when a car wants to traction roll in the turns is lower the ride height and adjusting camber. After that I would look at stiffening the dampening springs or sway bar depending on the conditions of the track.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

first thing i'd do is thank god that i'm at a track with traction.....then go thank the track crew.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

^^^^LMAO^^^^
Old 10-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

tex - Even so, that's an impossible balance to achieve and something I don't see being a big deal at any level. If you feel it's helping you, heck, more power to you...but I do have to make the argument that it wouldn't be fair to suggest that it will make a world of difference to everyone else.

It seems like common practice to me to clip knobs off of 1/8th scale tires; I usually clip both the inside and outside row off of front tires and the outside row off of rear tires. My first adjustment personally would be a thicker front swaybar, but maybe your front ride height is too low? I can't imagine this buggy being unstable when driven hard into a corner.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

When my car is handling really well, but traction rolling, or on the verge of traction rolling, I try and remember what turns it happens at and slow a little more at that corner.

I would hate to compromise the handling to make it so I wouldn't have to slow down at the end of the straight, etc.

Now, if your rolling over in 3 or 4 turns, then it is time to look at chassis tuning, or radio settings. You can lower the car, lower the roll center(raise the inside link, etc), go to a softer spring, turn down the dual rate in the radio, stiffen the sway bars, etc.

The biggest thing may be tires, if your running M2, go to XTR, Red, go to Silver, etc.

Hope this helps?
...Jim
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

hey guys this is my first nitro build ever. Has anyone had any problems putting the clutch pins through the aliminum shoes???
Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

scratch that i got it.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

next question, sorry newbie here. Im assuming the clutch bell should spin freely correct?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greenEG6
next question, sorry newbie here. Im assuming the clutch bell should spin freely correct?
correct, with about 0.4mm end play....
Old 10-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greenEG6
hey guys this is my first nitro build ever. Has anyone had any problems putting the clutch pins through the aliminum shoes???
Put a 45 degree chamfer on the ends of the clutch pins with a Dremel or grinder.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sand geek
This car works great...Makes every tire I have tried worke better than they did on other brands. My only problem is that I have too much side bite with every tire ive tried, therefore when going into a corner I find myself being extra cautious so I do not roll due to the affects of too much side bite. Any changes I can make to the car to help this besides clipping tires? The rear dog bones are a touch below level...Shortened wheel base, and no 3 degree anti squat, other than that I am running the drake dirt set-up.
One of the best features to reduce traction rolling is reduce droop. If your track does not have any big air the droop setting is a quick tuning option. You will find yourself using it more and more as you get more comfortable with the car and landing the backsides.
TEX
Old 10-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just remember that these adjustments have other results also. Do not compromise the buggy in other areas to make it better in one. My first change would be to trim the tires as Waldo described. (I do this on almost every set of Crimefighters I own) Next I would probably add a little negative camber as these do not effect the car as much as some other adjustments do other places on the track.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Default starting sucks

Before I go pull my new OS vspec outa my 8ight to put an OS pull start engine in it, does anyone know what bump box the 8ight will sit flat on with full droop in front and rear?. I bought the Ofna 1/8 off road crome top rtr and this buggy does not fit the thing at all. The box is too short and too wide for the car to sit flat on the box. I need a longer skinnier box. But i'm seriously thinking pull start engine.

I love my 8ight, this buggy is truely amazing! but starting a race engine on a bump box with the tiny fly wheel opening is a real bitch and the only bitch i have. I dont feel I should have to grind on a new chassi either, losi should have done this in the factory for me, and they should come out with a new chassis pan for it.

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.