Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The clips stick much better if you lightly sand the spot on the tank that you intend to glue to.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ghost06
My tool gave up on me what size wrench is it.

Lunsford makes a 5mm tool for 1/8th Scale Buggies. I got mine at A-main Hobbies and it only cost $5.25 and it works very nicely. Here's a direct link.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2823
Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

New illuzion 8ight for the TL 8ight buggy, ! Not sure if you guys have seen it yet?

...Jim
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
A couple of things.
I measured the balance with the tank half full. Now I do have 95359 servos on both controls. They are very heavy. I could loose alot of weight in the throttle servo.

Also the plastic the screws are securing will break before an 8-32 aluminum screw will. I'm using them to hold in the radio tray and to hold in my switch and servos. I need some titanium screws for the 5-40 stuff. Those are high stress areas with minimal screw diameter.

FYI - I looked into a metric equivalent and there isn't one. 5-40 is 4.1 mm diameter and 4m is just shy of that.

I may put the Lipo in, drop the switch and change the throttle servo. A $6.00 MPI kit would also allow me to cut allof the wires to length. That is actually a lot of savings there.

Arron I did change the springs out in my clutch. I went with the green black combination in .036 diameter wire. I'll write in after the races tonight.

<----- not finished yet!
TEX
Actually, 5-40 screws have a .125 thread diameter (3.175mm). If you're going into new plastic, and the holes are no bigger than 2.5mm, then you can use 3mm screws no problem.

Titanium screws are brittle and strip out easy. The weight savings ain't worth the price and quality of the screws. You'd be better off going to a lighter Rx pack (maybe a LiPo) and you'll save more weight than you ever would swapping out quality steel screws for aluminum or titanium. You could also lose the steel turnbuckles for some Lunsford Racing titanium turnbuckles.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I was an anal weight freak with my LiteRace T-Maxx. I'm pretty sure I had the lightest T-Maxx ever. BUT, losing too much weight is not such a great thing. For one, your setup will be much different than most other guys, so it'll mke comparing notes harder. Losing weight in the drive train (reciprocating mass will help acceleration and run time). Losing weight at the end of the arms (wheels, tires, knuckles, pillowballs...if the car uses them) will reduce unsprung weight for better traction and rough track handling. Losing weight in the cooling head helps reduce a lot of weight thats got a high CG. But swapping out stronger screws for lighter, weaker ones doesn't yield any advantage in any place that even Scott Hughes or Adam Drake could tell the difference.....LOL Personally, I'd save your money for fuel, tires and other more valuable stuff.

Best regards,
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

W.E.DJim- yep i saw it last friday and ordered one right there! thats a sweet body and jc never fails to impress
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

It is not a weight issue that I am considering. It is a balance issue. After I swapped the steel for aluminum on the radio side only the balance was much closer. I removed the switch, installed a Lipo Rx pack, shortened the wiring and added a light servo for throttle. Now it is balanced. Guess what? It was much easier to drive. It was quicker through the chicanes and transistion area as well. Now my shocks are even and the car jumps much more level. Never had a problem in the bumps either. Lap times and consistancy came down as well.
Actually, there were a couple of times where the car would turn in too quick. I would much rather dial it out than chase it all night.

Finished very well. I did just put the kit together and drive it. That was 5 races ago. It gets faster every time I go to the track. I race it twice a week and practice at least 1 or two times besides that.

The new clutch setup is smoking. Black and green springs worked very well on the track. Tomorrow I'll let you guys know about the wear. I measured everything before I put it in so it should be no problem.

Good Stuff!
TEX
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
tex - That's entirely too much work for an intangible balance that won't make any difference to your lap times. One lap on a muddy track and that balance is wasted! Just put the car together and have fun

I totally agree. This is not onroad. So if your balancing your car out at say half full , then your car is only balanced for about 30 seconds out of every tank you run. Dont over think it Texpert!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Just started building my 8ight. First thing I did was thread-locked the shock pistons to the shafts. Thanks for the previous tips.
Really excited about it. Havn't run 1/8th scale for 3 years.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Wink Wait just a minute!

Quincy if you even drove half as slow as I do, you would know that everything matters.
Gees....Go drive with some real drivers would you.
(In my best "Wedding Crashers" voice) JACK A$$!

I do stuff like this more because I have the time to. I would be bored otherwise.
I know it is trivial in the big scheme.

Now that you guys are running cheap motors I don't know what to do.

Your car looked great.
TEX
Old 10-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

tex- i think that if losi would have felt the weight bias to one side was a problem they would have done something about it themselves. dont you think your laptimes improveing is because you are getting used to the car more and how it drives. not because you changed a few screws and shortned some wires.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

For some reason guys the http://www.bmainhobbies.com site has been extremely slow lately. We are in the process of doing some server upgrades. Look for more good thigns from B main inthe very near future.

thanks for all the support. I'm here everyday working hard to make you happy.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

I should have a new forum up @ www.losi8ightforum.com within the next week. Hopefully this site would become a good reference for the hot 8ight buggy & truggy.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This car works great...Makes every tire I have tried worke better than they did on other brands. My only problem is that I have too much side bite with every tire ive tried, therefore when going into a corner I find myself being extra cautious so I do not roll due to the affects of too much side bite. Any changes I can make to the car to help this besides clipping tires? The rear dog bones are a touch below level...Shortened wheel base, and no 3 degree anti squat, other than that I am running the drake dirt set-up.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Start by going to a longer wheelbase. It's harder to roll a limo than a jeep
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also I found that driving slower helps reduce that too But thats only cause I can't drive fast I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.