Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This may be considered controversial, but a guy i was talking to said he had been considering why anyone would want the NTC3 steering. Looking at the situation Josh Cyrul faces, a spool on foam, you would probably want to reduce the ackerman effect. When both wheels turn at the same rate, it helps to have them pointed in the same direction. Having seen his car up close, this guy said the spot that they were in would reduce the ackerman in the steering.

I don't know if this is true, but the fact that it is "smoother" does not really justify it for me. His explaination makes more sense. Discuss......
Old 05-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by robk
This may be considered controversial, but a guy i was talking to said he had been considering why anyone would want the NTC3 steering. Looking at the situation Josh Cyrul faces, a spool on foam, you would probably want to reduce the ackerman effect. When both wheels turn at the same rate, it helps to have them pointed in the same direction. Having seen his car up close, this guy said the spot that they were in would reduce the ackerman in the steering.
Whats up robk,
I haven't though of it that way. It makes a lot of sence to
me now. I think I will give it a try seeing how I love to run spools
or a locked diff.
Thanks for sharing that info robk.
drift,
Old 05-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Can someone give me a pic and some how to info
on the NTC3 steering setup. I know its back their
somewhere but lets see it again.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

This was posted awhile back from one of the guys on here. http://pages.infinit.net/funone/_the...ciated_tc3.htm
Old 05-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is someone looking for this?

TC3 mods

I had to move the site because I was using too much webspace. Just click on "R/C Toys" and then on the thumbnail of the Associated TC3 to see the how to's.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

robk- thanks for mentioning that, that makes alot of sense. i never thought of that.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default NTC3 Rack

robk-thats why I never bothered to put the rack in my milled chassis. I coldnty get a consensus on where to mount it. I think this is one mod too many people do because someone else did it. Our fastest local tried it and pulled it off after two runs. And the other fast local guy doesnt run it. I agree I think its part of the entire set-up package for running MOd and a spool. Its not for everybody. But-if it fits your driving style-go for it. Or if you cannot tell a difference-go for it.

Me-I'll just keep using a Q-tip and cleaning the steering rack every day!!!

Ray
Old 05-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

nevermind

thanks

Last edited by omalley; 05-02-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

mistercrash - thanks a lot for your link....really appreciate that...but i'm not doing anything to my FT for time being

to all others that replied....thanks for replying

oh yah! i got a bottle of Trinity lube which come with a syringe type funnel...the lube is in purple colour...anyone knows what lube is this as i got it off a friend whom can recall what the lube is for

by the way just finish breaking in the gear by running off a 2 volt power supply with a 540 geared at 72/21 for 12 hours
Old 05-02-2003, 09:26 PM
B3x
Tech Adept

wiley

I have a similar bottle and I use it on bearings, very light oil.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:03 AM

wiley,
Trinity royal bearing oil
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

B3x/beowolf - thanks for the info

As i've read and saw on my kit the TC3 doesnt have equal steering thro for left and right and was wondering would it be a good idea to dremel some part of the steering knuckles on both side so that i could try equalling(is this a word..LOL) both side and increase steering throw rather than changing to Losi knuckles

And also would a rubber seal bearing better in keeping dirt out of bearing than the teflons ones??i dont really care about the friction both type if offering you trying to find way to lessen the maintenance on this kit

another thing i notice is that the more free the dricvetrain is the noisier it is...is it just me or does everyone feels the same way...

i was thinking of putting the diff grease on the diff and input gear to reduce drivetrain noise as i cant seem to find Assoc white grease as recommended by tphalen...is the diff grease the same as the white grease mentioned??would Tamiya anti wear grease be good??

thanks for reading

Last edited by wiley; 05-04-2003 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

I believe the car was designed not to have equal throw from left to right to prevent the servo locking in one direction (right?) when the link gets to the bottom of the arc. I never have that much steering in mmy tc anyway. End up tuning it out with the radio so it's not an issue anyway.

The TC3 tends to be a bit noisy anyway, but grease is recommended for mod. I think I remember TPhalen talking about Losi white grease.

Don't know if the rubber bearings will be any less maintenance or not, maybe. The Associated bearings are definitely higher quality than a lot out there. It will also depend on what surface you're running on.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can use a little dab of diff grease on the drive gears. That will quiet them up. Dingus is right though, the TC3 is naturally noisier than most belt drive cars. As the diff gears wear into each other, they will quiet down as well. If you remove them to rebuild the diff and don't change gears, you should mark the point where they mesh before you remove them. That way they keep wearing in the same pattern. If you don't they'll have to re-break in and they'll wear out faster.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, the steering was designed with uneven throw to compensate for a slight torque steer experienced when the steering is maxed. Dont worry about it, it wont slow you donw.

I run on a blown off untreated asfault parking lot and am considering switching over to a front spool. Does anyone have an experience with this and how well it worked? If its already been discused can someone tell me about what page it is on?

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.