Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CockyDuck
Hey Bro,

Just wanna confirm that the new thinner 2.5mm chassis is better for high bite carpet. I thot that with a thinner chassis it would means more flex thus more grip so tracks with low traction might work.

Pardon me if i am wrong. Still newbie.

Thanks
It should read 2.5mm lipo chassis, which is thicker than the 2.0mm rubber lipo chassis, which is the counter part to the standard 6 cell 2.5mm rubber chassis. Also I think the foam chassis is made out of stiffer carbon fiber.

Hope that made sense.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

The chassis he is talking about is the same thickness as the stock chassis. It is made out of a different kind of carbon fiber, and its much much stiffer. Also doesn't have the cutt outs for round cells anymore. So in short your thinking is right about the flex. It just happens to be stiffer actually.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by grouchy
What adjustments are you talking about? If it is kick up,that is for off road cars.I don't see why Top can't make a six(6) degrees front c hub.Every other manufacturer makes them.
I wouldn't mind seeing some 6 degree hubs myself. I had asked the same question on the thread a while back so it doesn't seem likely. Xrays will work with a little trimming and a few well placed shims. I have a set but haven't tried them yet.

A question for Larry and the other drivers at the gate. In all honesty, how much difference did the tires make? I've seen a set of new 28's cover over a lot of handling issues. I'm not bashing or criticizing, but it does seem like a big performance gain compared to Vegas (Jaco's). If the car truly comes to life on carpet with the stiffer chassis I'm all for it. Most of my racing is done on Blues because the larger races I attend mandate them. So I am very, very interested in the tire aspect.

thanks

michael.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I know for a fact that almost every driver in the A main ran a new set of tires every run. I only ran 2 sets of tires during 4 rounds and the mains and was just as fast as anyone else. Even faster. If we were running SJR's and everyone else was running Jacos I could see where your question might be valid but since everyone was on equal tires its pretty much a moot point. I had 1/20th the time on the car at the IIC as all the A mainers had plus I had issues with other things also, now that we have developed a proper setup you will see Top cars at or near the top of every big Super Stock race for a long time to come, no matter what the tire.

In the 4th round I'm pretty sure that the top 5 cars had brand new tires on their cars. Here are the laptimes. 4 A mainers from the IIC were at this race including 2 of the top 3 finishers and 2 of the top 3 qualifiers. Not every result will be similar because they are all very good drivers and racers but it just shows that the car is capable of running at the top.

4th Round Halloween Classic Laptimes

I ran the exact same setup I run at our track with Jacos and this setup is the fastest car at our track. I wish I actually had some newer jacos to try at the Classic because the car may have been just as fast. I personally like the feel of jacos on my car better but its about .1-.2 faster on Sorex based tires, but like I said everyone was on equal tires so it really doesnt matter.

Last edited by L.Fairtrace; 11-05-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

thank you.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
It should read 2.5mm lipo chassis, which is thicker than the 2.0mm rubber lipo chassis, which is the counter part to the standard 6 cell 2.5mm rubber chassis. Also I think the foam chassis is made out of stiffer carbon fiber.

Hope that made sense.

Hey Bro,

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
The chassis he is talking about is the same thickness as the stock chassis. It is made out of a different kind of carbon fiber, and its much much stiffer. Also doesn't have the cutt outs for round cells anymore. So in short your thinking is right about the flex. It just happens to be stiffer actually.
Hey Bro,

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers
Old 11-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Just a quick question:

Does anyone know if Associated's 48p spur gears fits on the photon?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

is anyone using the bolt on weights? if so, which one's?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I know for a fact that almost every driver in the A main ran a new set of tires every run. I only ran 2 sets of tires during 4 rounds and the mains and was just as fast as anyone else. Even faster. If we were running SJR's and everyone else was running Jacos I could see where your question might be valid but since everyone was on equal tires its pretty much a moot point. I had 1/20th the time on the car at the IIC as all the A mainers had plus I had issues with other things also, now that we have developed a proper setup you will see Top cars at or near the top of every big Super Stock race for a long time to come, no matter what the tire.

In the 4th round I'm pretty sure that the top 5 cars had brand new tires on their cars. Here are the laptimes. 4 A mainers from the IIC were at this race including 2 of the top 3 finishers and 2 of the top 3 qualifiers. Not every result will be similar because they are all very good drivers and racers but it just shows that the car is capable of running at the top.

4th Round Halloween Classic Laptimes

I ran the exact same setup I run at our track with Jacos and this setup is the fastest car at our track. I wish I actually had some newer jacos to try at the Classic because the car may have been just as fast. I personally like the feel of jacos on my car better but its about .1-.2 faster on Sorex based tires, but like I said everyone was on equal tires so it really doesnt matter.
Do you know how many of the other guys in the main were running the SJR's?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by grouchy
What adjustments are you talking about? If it is kick up,that is for off road cars.I don't see why Top can't make a six(6) degrees front c hub.Every other manufacturer makes them.
Basically what I was getting at is, if you are looking to get more steering, you can get more than enough even without 6* blocks.

If it is steering you are looking for, feel free you post your set-up and we will be glad to give you some suggestions.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Do you know how many of the other guys in the main were running the SJR's?
8-10 were running SJR's

Me, Kevin, Schreffler, Brad, Goetz, Chicky, Drew, Blackstock

Haynes and Martin were running Speedmind/Sorex.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
8-10 were running SJR's

Me, Kevin, Schreffler, Brad, Goetz, Chicky, Drew, Blackstock

Haynes and Martin were running Speedmind/Sorex.
Hearing that so many guys were running new tires every run is kinda frustrating. Id hate to see this happening at all the races. Thought we were past those days. Anyway, knowing that you ran fewer sets that most, what was the wear like. How many runs did it take for the seam to go away?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've been thinking of ordering the photon, but i've got 2 questions. What size lipos are people able to run bone stock out if the box and where's a good place to order spares from? Just curious if spares were in the xray price range of say hot bodies cyclone price range
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Hearing that so many guys were running new tires every run is kinda frustrating. Id hate to see this happening at all the races. Thought we were past those days. Anyway, knowing that you ran fewer sets that most, what was the wear like. How many runs did it take for the seam to go away?
Unfortunately thats what happens when there is no spec tire and not tire limit, everyone is trying to get everything they can out of every run. Its a bummer I will agree. I wish for this series we would make a gentleman's agreement to run a set amount of tires say 2 per race. Its not like the tires were bad after a run but they were definitely slower by .1 at least. They probably stay the same for many runs after the first so a limit would solve most problems we are having.

Just on a side note, the 2 rounds I ran brand new tires were the 2 rounds I tqed, not to say I couldn't of done it the other rounds on used tires but I hit stuff those rounds or had lapped traffic problems.

I dont know how long it took for the seam to go away, I ground it off and broke the tires in for 8 or so laps in practice then ran them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.