Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tweeter79
DekelzMan - I had the same feeling from the carpet setup, felt too soft. I want to lower my camber links on the towers, but I'm hesitant because I think that would create an easier breaking point on the tower. I'll just wait for the upgrade package to arrive before I do that.

I have gone up in shock oil since my first outing, but haven't got to test it yet.
Yep, thats what I was thinking too about the camber links...I'll wait til the 4mm shock towers and the upgrade package arrives Until then I'll just play with oil..

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Almost every car Iv'e ever seen has "issues" when it comes out. I don't know where this one rates in the "failure" ranking but I think not the worst. And their response ? Never saw that before. Yes we are rightfully concerned but ... don't let that stop you.
Originally Posted by rraden
Well, chalk up another maiden voyage cut short by broken front bulk head. Ouch! Didn't even crash hard, just caught the front end on a very small jump and flipped it over. Didn't even notice it was broke until changing out shock springs.
I was getting ready to leave last night for day 3 and noticed a cracked front bulkhead from day 2, didn't have time to replace it so I did this
took it too the track and and ran the snot out of it. The new tracks "double triple" was clearly a "triple-double" and eventually a quad... At this point with an extra kit and the upgrade kits coming I stopped thinking about breaking anything and let it fly. I was pushing to go fast and making those "fun" mistakes, I kept expecting a break but it never happened. Normally I drive conservatively but last night was not the case, partly due to this fantastic car, partly due to the new 80c 6000mah promatch pack. The track owner took the wheel for a few laps (he's a b44) and was impressed by the car and the punch it had with "only" a 10.5.
I had thought about installing Kyosho big bores when I first built it but after using the Xray shocks and some Q checks (flatten the top of the shock body) and some use they stopped leaking, no o-rings or sealant and they work pretty good. hmmm still tempted.
My life allows me to only run one pack per "session" and once a week if I'm lucky, pretty miserable compared to racing several times a week for years.
But this car... has me chomping at the bit every day hoping to get out.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tweeter79
That pic of her on the driver's stand is awesome!!! The look of intensity, lol.

DekelzMan - I had the same feeling from the carpet setup, felt too soft. I want to lower my camber links on the towers, but I'm hesitant because I think that would create an easier breaking point on the tower. I'll just wait for the upgrade package to arrive before I do that.

I have gone up in shock oil since my first outing, but haven't got to test it yet.
x1000 super kid!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

I am gonna run the K shocks for one practice session and see how they perform. At the very least, the springs xray has (the progs are sold out everywhere), I will have ot use kyosho springs with the xray shocks. One thing I noticed is the xray shocks are very very light compared to the others. My racing director commented that are they all plastics HAHA I can see where he comes from after looking again! On another note, the 6000 80C Ips are awesome, I think I had run times of around 20 minutes of hard driving on an orion 6.5 19 pinion, and I think I put back 5600 mAh in those suckers. The last lap was as punchy as the first! Throwing the nanos and gens ace for just practice now
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

XB4 + R10 ESC = 50mm or 70mm sensor wire?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
XB4 + R10 ESC = 50mm or 70mm sensor wire?

Thanks!
I'm running a 50mm.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just thought I would post a pic up of mine as I finally painted it

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Something stupid that I did...

XB4ers,
I thought I'd share something I did...perhaps you might've made the mistake as well. Push your front-end all the way down...do the tires stay upright or droop in and turn about 30 degrees outward? If so...you put the little collars (not sure of actual name...but they're shaped like a 'C') on backwards. They look the same...to me they did...but this is the result if you mix them up. Check yours out.
-Scott
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RShockley
I'm running a 50mm.
Thanks!

For the general audience: The satellite gears in the revised part package being sent out are identical to the ones we have now. Are you all still buying the metal gears or has something changed to not cause the composite gears to grenade in some cases.

From my understanding we are dealing with four fixes but I remember 5 different issues:

1 - top of front tower breakage = metal reinforcing plate
2 - front diff case cracking = redesigned V2 diff case
3 - bottom of rear tower breakage = metal reinforcing plate
4 - ring and pinion gear mesh = redesigned V2 ring gears
5 - diff satellite gear breakage = was it all related to tight slipper clutches?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks!

For the general audience: The satellite gears in the revised part package being sent out are identical to the ones we have now. Are you all still buying the metal gears or has something changed to not cause the composite gears to grenade in some cases.

From my understanding we are dealing with four fixes but I remember 5 different issues:

5 - diff satellite gear breakage = was it all related to tight slipper clutches?
I have noticed that the guys that have had issues with the diff gears ran the car shortly after the build. Those of us that had to let the car sit for a few days have not had any issues. The composite gears are supposed to swell. Maybe it just take longer for them to swell then originally thought. Mine set for 2 days after the initial build and I haven't had any issues. Oil was noticeably lower after only one run as well. Others here ha be had similar results. Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

+1 on Rshockley. Also what I noticed was the shock ends are considerably more beefy than the kyosho ones I put on Sunday. There is no flex in that as well which might cause the whole thing to put max stress on the towers. In fact comparing my xb9 and xb4, the fricking width is the same, in fact the xb4 is stronger since its got a 3 mm shaft vs 3.5 in the xb9.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks!

Originally Posted by RShockley
I have noticed that the guys that have had issues with the diff gears ran the car shortly after the build. Those of us that had to let the car sit for a few days have not had any issues. The composite gears are supposed to swell. Maybe it just take longer for them to swell then originally thought. Mine set for 2 days after the initial build and I haven't had any issues. Oil was noticeably lower after only one run as well. Others here ha be had similar results. Just a thought.
The V2 ring gears push the sun gear closer to the satelite gears than the V1 did. I guess the difference between havoc and heaven are very small, so those who still have the original internal gears in good shape are just lucky? Mine are still fine.
Mind you , I checked both my diffs before my last race, and I had to retighten the all the screws. That might just have saved the day in my case, dont know...
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Had my first issue with the car last night while practicing. The set pin for the front drive shaft managed to punch through the little plastic collar and basically stopped the drive train while going full bore down a straight away . Dug a little hole in the chassis, but nothing major.

Fortunately, the internal satellite gears stripped which probably kept it from doing more damage. Luck would have it, the hobby shop had NT1 composite gears in stock so I bought all three sets the had just to be safe. They are a direct fit.

I have noticed that the it seems the gears are absorbing the diff oil. My diffs don't leak, but when I have checked them they are nearly empty! No oil residue within the diff housing, so I am assuming the gears are some how absorbing a lot of the oil.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Rookie

I can report a broken outdrive on front left. I heard another one with the exact same part which broke on the same evening on the track, anybody know what could cause this? Never had that problem before.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AlekB
I can report a broken outdrive on front left. I heard another one with the exact same part which broke on the same evening on the track, anybody know what could cause this? Never had that problem before.
I would say the bone travelled beyond the limit if the outdrive causing it to break. What does the bone look like, is it bent, and can it travel the full stroke of the shock without binding in the cup? Did you have any rolling crashes before it broke?

Last edited by Tim Garland; 01-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.