Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

around June release !
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

be interesting to see the price point they come in at.. there are already high end F1 cars i'd rather have like rcindycar's and corally's or hyperdrive's... but if it is still a fair price like the original 103 is...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just simply observation....15th R version is about $220 USD...this one, hope they will throw in the alum heat sink motor mount...with almost the same upgrade like the 103R, with the revised body, revised tire set...I would guess it will be around $300 USD. And I think that is reasonable. But not higher...

Race tuned 12th scale is around $250 without tires and body.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

$300 is not bad if it comes with tires and the body..
Old 04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like the fact that the battery runs down the center... it allows for bodies that are narrower in the rear, like the real thing... the sculpting of the side pods is REALLY nice

BTW

$305
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM58431?nav=rss
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default F104 or HPI

Looking to buy. Why would I pick F104 or HPI.

Regards.... Steve
Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Well, the F104 would probably be $100-150 more than the new HPI F1.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

F104 and HPI... Let's see, you get CF chassis, aluminum tidbits, and a ball diff on the F104. With the battery layout of the F104, I see this as a better handling car.

But there is no need to pick these up unless you are into F1 or your club is going to have a F1 class.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would/will get either if folks start racing them! I think they are both A+
Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are most of you guys TCS minded when it comes to these things? If there was a TCS race around here I would build a car for it. But without it I would rather go with an MLP car.

It seems like The Tamiya cars stay TCS legal as long as theres the hope of a race near by. As soon as Tamiya discontinues a car (which means no more TCS for that chassis) then 3Racing sells a bunch of hop ups for it.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

need more info drooling
Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PIRONI
Looking to buy. Why would I pick F104 or HPI.

Regards.... Steve
From what I can tell there are a number of differences between these kits, not just price. They’ll both have plenty of hop-up support from each of their own companies and aftermarket. But comparing them straight across the board looks like comparing apples to oranges. I’m sure HPI will also come out with a pro kit, but this is an entry level starter kit. You need to keep that in mind when your shopping price. The HPI car is fiber reinforced plastic and the Tamiya has carbon fiber and aluminum and plastic.

HPI is stating they will have body and nose kits representing new and old F1’s (high and low nose cars). They haven’t said anything about rear wings. I’m thinking they’ll offer what ever TRG is making, just a hunch. Tamiya seems to be struggling with their body sets, one can only hope there will be more options available. But both offer nicely detailed body and wings.

HPI is also using rubber tires, a big plus in my opinion. They’ll have several types to choose from. And they’ll last a while for the budget minded racer. Where they struck out in my opinion is with the hex on the front wheels. I really think they should have stuck with a more universal bearing on axel config, like typical pan cars. It doesn’t really make cense. It’s not like you can swap fronts to rears. I think they missed the boat on this one. The Tamiya car uses foams. The traction is probably a little better and the after market options are a plenty. Plus Tamiya will probably offer more compounds down the road like they use to, one can only hope.

HPI’s car comes with bevel gear diff. While I’m sure they will have an option for a ball diff, the Tamiya F104 PRO car comes standard with one and ball bearings to support it. The HPI car comes with a solid rear axel made from steal, the Tamiya comes with a carbon fiber shaft (at least it looks that way from the pics).

The HPI car comes with an oil filled shock, plastic damper plate, and plastic damper disks. The F104 Pro comes with a TRF threaded body oil filled shock, carbon fiber damper plate, and teflon damper disks.

The HPI car uses 4cell battery's packs and the Tamiya uses 6cell packs. That means the Tamiya will be able to use a Lipo pack (assuming it will clear the upper deck).

These are some of the differences that I can think of off the top of my head, I’m sure there’s more. Good luck with your choice. Personally I plan on getting both.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by akura2
I like the fact that the battery runs down the center... it allows for bodies that are narrower in the rear, like the real thing... the sculpting of the side pods is REALLY nice

BTW

$305
http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM58431?nav=rss
What do you guys think about this battery down the center ? I was talking to someone at the track the other day and his opinion is that it's a bad idea... according to him, this will transfer less weight side to side an therefore less grip in the turns... Is there any truth to this ?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lightfoot
What do you guys think about this battery down the center ? I was talking to someone at the track the other day and his opinion is that it's a bad idea... according to him, this will transfer less weight side to side an therefore less grip in the turns... Is there any truth to this ?
Not in my opinion, as there are many on and off road cars with the battery down the center which work just fine. I believe that someone is confusing the center of gravity with the polar moment of inertia.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Not in my opinion, as there are many on and off road cars with the battery down the center which work just fine. I believe that someone is confusing the center of gravity with the polar moment of inertia.
...and don't forget Cross and Tech have already tried this configuration, so it must have some merits!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.