Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Buttonhead screw?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

If you go into the race 'knowing' you are not going to win, guess what. Inferior cars can win yes, if you know that inferior car can win.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OSherman
Buttonhead screw?
buttonhead hex titanium, with a spacer
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

spacer or washer?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OSherman
spacer or washer?
looked like a washer, but you'll have to check with grissom
Old 08-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Tech Addict

First run with my new V2 on the weekend.
Some understeer issues to sort out, but otherwise very impressed. Felt better than my M05 right away.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Just a quick thank you to Grandpa and any others who have given bits of advice to me lately. Only been racing since October and only done about 6 outdoor meetings so a relative newcomer to this.

Yesterdays club meet I finally got to tangle with the big boys and held my own. Out of 3 A finals I got 4/2/2 and the 2 second places I was bang on the tail of the winner.

Biggest improvements have been

1) Reducing the toe out on the front wheels
2) Sorting the steering out (See servo not set @ 90dg)
3) Improving motor performance (Grandpa)

The biggest improvement though is gluing the tyres. WOW!! I ran one heat with them unglued and then I tried it on some really badly worn tyres. It was like all the handling issues on my car disappeared. I settled down and was able to race rather than balance racing with crashing. 2 heats and 1 final down I hadn't crashed for 3 races. Last 2 finals I came second in I basically gunned it and trusted the car. Still on badly worn tyres.

Cant believe it has taken so long to try this out but I suppose it helped getting the car to the point where it felt as sorted as I could get it, then try the gluing.

Next step is a fresh, properly run in motor, some voodoo drops, fresh tyres and reduce some of the weight as my car is running extra.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo
Just a quick thank you to Grandpa and any others who have given bits of advice to me lately. Only been racing since October and only done about 6 outdoor meetings so a relative newcomer to this.

Yesterdays club meet I finally got to tangle with the big boys and held my own. Out of 3 A finals I got 4/2/2 and the 2 second places I was bang on the tail of the winner.

Biggest improvements have been

1) Reducing the toe out on the front wheels
2) Sorting the steering out (See servo not set @ 90dg)
3) Improving motor performance (Grandpa)

The biggest improvement though is gluing the tyres. WOW!! I ran one heat with them unglued and then I tried it on some really badly worn tyres. It was like all the handling issues on my car disappeared. I settled down and was able to race rather than balance racing with crashing. 2 heats and 1 final down I hadn't crashed for 3 races. Last 2 finals I came second in I basically gunned it and trusted the car. Still on badly worn tyres.

Cant believe it has taken so long to try this out but I suppose it helped getting the car to the point where it felt as sorted as I could get it, then try the gluing.

Next step is a fresh, properly run in motor, some voodoo drops, fresh tyres and reduce some of the weight as my car is running extra.
Congratulations on your good results and glad to be of help. You've reached the point where the "chasing" set ups becomes really interesting much sooner than most. A lot of the progression of skills now becomes an analysis of what you need for the car to go faster and what your driving skills will tolerate. For example do you increase front grip to go faster or do you free up the rear???? Figuring out what does what is the interesting part along with how you use it. How to compensate for changing track conditions is another.

Gluing ties can be a real revelation. Try playing with a few different techniques as far as how far you carry the glue. This really makes a difference on the fronts. I've usually found that on the Tamiya S-Grips it's best to go right to the tread. On some brands of tires, it's counterproductive, but on most 60d tires it's helpful.

Also, weight reduction is probably the least important of all the things you can do. As you said, you're fairly new and I'd explore chassis set up more before going on a crash diet. Most weight reductions can change the balance of the car and also the flex of the chassis. If you don't have a solid knowledge of what does what, you can find yourself in a whole heap of trouble.

Last edited by Granpa; 09-01-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1320wt_1338

- Good deal
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Grandpa, thanks for the response.

One of my jobs this week is to make a crib sheet of all the measurements etc so that I have a base setup that I know works for me. When doing so do you guys measure ball joint to ball joint or total length? Ie the shock length including the plastic mounts or the distance when the shock is fitted between the ball joints.

The tyres I run are sweeps front and shimizu (sp) on rear. The rear tyres have lasted 4x the sweeps usually last so they are my preferred tyre. Trouble is on the front I haven't found a setup that can get them to work. As I mentioned previously the fronts were wrecked and still the gluing made a massive difference. Looking forward to trying it on a fresh set.

The weight I am going to shed is surplus I have added already. My bumpers have weights in them and I have weight underneath the servo which works well. But I was also running extra weights on top of the bumper and along the battery and at the rear so it was rather excessive. Talking to the fastest guy at our track who has wiped the floor with everyone in mini class he said I was running extra weight for no reason.

Mini class is really taking off here. We are only a small club but we have nearly 30 regular mini competitors for club events.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Thumbs up M05RA front hubs

Just an FYI: I switched out my front aluminum hubs for the M05RA aluminum hubs and you need to change the front bearings from 1150 to 1050's
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2 quick questions: Is M03 still TCS Legal? & Anyone want an M03 roller? Wife says I have to sell some stuff if I want to buy new stuff, so the spare 03 is on the block =\
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thelittlesthobo
One of my jobs this week is to make a crib sheet of all the measurements etc so that I have a base setup that I know works for me.
M05 editable set-up sheet is at http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...SetupSheet.pdf

M05 Ver.II Pro is at http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...SetupSheet.pdf
Old 09-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
Thank you. Much appreciated
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the 3Racing gear diff installed in my M05 but would like to get some spare out drives for the diff but I can't seem to find the part. The checked the manual and it also doesn't mention what the part number is. Does anyone know where I can get this part?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.