Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 06:24 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I think the goal is to concentrate the weight on the center of the car. So he can mill around the chassis, but put the lead weights on wherever he needs it t balance things.

At least, that's what I would do...
Old 01-27-2002, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

acloco ...a dog motor, you, what????!!!?!?!??!??

So are you gonna sport a Losi back at SWR when the season strats back up again?
Old 01-27-2002, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Harsh- If I have anything to do with it he will. The first time out with the car and he was only one second behind Mauler in the first qualifyier. A few mistakes cost him a better time in the second round. His driving was by far better than it was with the mission and with LESS battery packs run through it. Don't get me wrong the mission is a good car but the Losi is a bit more stable. We played with belt tension and he loved it. Once we put a oneway in that car it's going to be even faster. I'm working on getting Russ' Losi hooked up as well. TK came out and put the smack down on him (Russ was running his xpress) I gave him our basic set up to try for next weekend so he should be the TQ next week like TK was this week
Old 01-27-2002, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Ragman
Silly thing is, he's had to put a load of lead on the car so it can't be a weight issue. What would he have gained by milling the chassis? More flex? Just put the original chassis on.

Very strange.

//Stu
what he did also allows some of the weight to be lower on the car, as far as debris in the drive train....I am sure the track they are running on is very clean but for the parkinglot racer it could cause problems

I wish it would stop snowing!!!! I want to run my car!!
Old 01-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

regardless of why Kinwald did that to his car........if he wins the event people will do the same to their's. Kinwald knows what he's doing. It may have just been something he wanted to try himself. No one else has this modification of their car. Carpet doesn't have rocks and stuff on the surface that you run into out doors.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

If he wanted the weight lower then why put the receiver on top of the servo? Probably weighs more than the material he took out.

Also of note on Brian's car is a Carbon Fibre rear shock tower. Is this just a personal thing or are there any geomotry changes? Reason for asking is that over here in UK a few of the team drivers have been messing around with inner pick up points for the top link. If anyone has seen a closer look can they see any difference?

//Stu
Old 01-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

STLNLST: your right, it doesn't matter why he did it. If he wins or even comes close, you will see the modification popping up ever where. Especially on the local level where many tracks don't tech cars for weight.

In any case, it looks sweet!
Old 01-27-2002, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Just ran my xxx-s in so cal last saturday. Found something feel very uncomfortable are the chattering coming from the cvd's binding at the joint, downstop screw in soft bumper, and sloppy steering.
For the chattering cvd, yes you can limit the steering travel but isn't it better to have a screw in the c-hub or steering kunckle as the limiter. What do you think?
For the sloppy steering, it helps a little by using a 5x8 bearing but still too sloppy compare to my old TC3? Any solutions?
Downstop screw in soft bumper, hope someone will come up a 2 pieces bumper with a hard plastic for downstop screws.

I spent around $320 for xxx-s with short shock, thread body, bumper brace, graphite kit. Compare to the $270 ft tc3, the TC3 sure is trouble free and cheaper car!

any feedback?
Old 01-27-2002, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just got home from the Novak race and the tech guy told me that Kinwald was the only Losi that made weight, all the rst of us were heavy John (tech guy) just laughed when I went up to weigh my car and told me there was no way I would be lite and he was right. I think I was about 2 oz heavy so I guess it gets the dremmel treatment!!
Old 01-27-2002, 05:40 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Kinwald finished reasonably well. 2nd in Pro Stock and 4th in Mod. Considering that he's more of an offroad guy than a sedan guy, that's respectable. Lemieux finished higher, but Kinwald had the better car -- it was 100% dialed. Lemieux's just a better sedan (or carpet) driver.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:13 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by ottoman
I just got home from the Novak race and the tech guy told me that Kinwald was the only Losi that made weight, all the rst of us were heavy John (tech guy) just laughed when I went up to weigh my car and told me there was no way I would be lite and he was right. I think I was about 2 oz heavy so I guess it gets the dremmel treatment!!
Yeah, I was there when Kinwald was teched, They kept adding wieght to it, and had a fairly large pile of lead on it by the time they got it to wieght. I was like... uhh??? untill i saw the chassis later that day. Can we say "swiss cheese".

Check out the Novak Race under "Events", there are a couple pictures of Brian's car on there.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by smash123
Found something feel very uncomfortable are the chattering coming from the cvd's binding at the joint, downstop screw in soft bumper, and sloppy steering.
For the chattering cvd, yes you can limit the steering travel but isn't it better to have a screw in the c-hub or steering kunckle as the limiter. What do you think?
For the sloppy steering, it helps a little by using a 5x8 bearing but still too sloppy compare to my old TC3? Any solutions?
Downstop screw in soft bumper, hope someone will come up a 2 pieces bumper with a hard plastic for downstop screws.

I spent around $320 for xxx-s with short shock, thread body, bumper brace, graphite kit. Compare to the $270 ft tc3, the TC3 sure is trouble free and cheaper car!

any feedback?
On the cvd problem, I would limit my steering and use the screw in the carrier combined. Also, you can mount the arms forward(two spacers behind arms) and that will help straighten out the cvd's. It's the right cvd binding when you turn the wheels right and it's the left cvd binding when you turn the wheels left. Mounting the arms full forward is going to create more of a push for the front end so be careful. Here's what I did to my xxx-s for the cvd problem, I glued the .030" washer to the inside of the front carriers, I limited my steering throw with my radio and I mounted the arms inbetween full forward and middle. Now check this out, I purchased the aluminum cvd's for the rear because I thought that the problem with the front cvd's binding would break the cups-Not True! R&D at Team Losi have been doing their homework. My new aluminum cvd's will actually bend more than the stock steel cvd's. Meaning, the aluminum cvd's(combined with the axles that come w/them) will bend at a larger degree before they start to bind. I was too happy! My tests to prove this, take out your stock steel cvd and hold it upright(90 degree angle) with the axle bent as far as it can bend. Now hold the new aluminum cvd's the same way and you'll see the new aluminum cvd's will bend more. Not only that, the new axles(that come w/the aluminum bones) are shorter in length. I'm using Team Trinity "low-profile" blue anodized aluminum 8/32" nuts and after they are screwed on tight, the axle sits flush with the top of the nut. On my stock steel cvd axles the axle purged out about 1.8-2mm. One bad fall to this though, I can't slice up the other racers bodies, tires and wheels when they hack me-LOL! I would extremely consider looking into the aluminum cvd's and the tips I gave you so that you can eliminate the front cvd problem(binding/chattering). Good luck and happy racing!
Old 01-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

TSR6, do you happen to remember what car Timmy Heiser, Ron Matteucci and Jason Cheng were driving? Just a curious racer.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Timmy was driving a mission and Ron a TC3
Old 01-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

I'd like to see these aluminum cvds,that you refer about Proud.So you could show me what the he#* you're talking about.Cause I'm a little lost at what you're talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.