Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok I have gotten confused on gearing and motor temps.
I was running a 20 tooth with 6 turn motor and motor temp cut off kicked in on my ESC. However the ESC was cold, ambient temp. Shorty pack 4200mah 65c, toro 120a ESC and reedy sonic 6 turn motor, stock spur gear.
Should I be going bigger in pinion or lower??????
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by boudin4evr
somebody please show the pics of bushing and dremel work
Grind the top off of #112781 or find shim that will fit over the bushing as Torrance suggested. I just didn't have any shims. Your looking for around .5mm either way.
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-dsc00012.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rybeau40
What tuning setup on the sway bars are people finding work best indoors?
I made a 1.6mm and a 1.9mm bar. With the black front (1.4mm) and copper rear (1.2mm) my car was loose in sweepers. When I removed the rear bar the car was fairly neutral but could be traction rolled in some situations. Using a stiffer front bar will allow me to use the rear bar and eliminate the traction roll except for overly extreme situations. If you intend to make your own bar and want to use the collars you must put them on before you make your bends.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GGREAVES
Ok I have gotten confused on gearing and motor temps.
I was running a 20 tooth with 6 turn motor and motor temp cut off kicked in on my ESC. However the ESC was cold, ambient temp. Shorty pack 4200mah 65c, toro 120a ESC and reedy sonic 6 turn motor, stock spur gear.
Should I be going bigger in pinion or lower??????
Smaller pinion will reduce your motor temps. You have any timing advance in the esc or motor? If so, this will cause higher motor temps.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What brand motor are you running GGREAVES? Every brand has different recommended FDR, it's not one size fits all. For example, Speed Passion motors have comparatively low physical timing, which means they require larger pinions than say a Reedy Sonic with the same number of turns. The motor should have come with a sheet of paper with he recommended FDR.

Also check your motor mount for slop (to the chassis and motor), any amount of wobble could cause excessive heat. And of course double check your gear mesh isn't too tight while your at it.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay
This was at our track today
Hey, that looks familiar....

Here it is all done

Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-2.jpg   Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-1.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
What brand motor are you running GGREAVES? Every brand has different recommended FDR, it's not one size fits all. For example, Speed Passion motors have comparatively low physical timing, which means they require larger pinions than say a Reedy Sonic with the same number of turns. The motor should have come with a sheet of paper with he recommended FDR.

Also check your motor mount for slop (to the chassis and motor), any amount of wobble could cause excessive heat. And of course double check your gear mesh isn't too tight while your at it.
I am running reedy sonic Mach 2, looked and could not find FDR for the motor.
No slop in motor mount and gear mesh is good. I did have boost and turbo timing on 10 degree timing.
I have already changed ESC setting to eliminate timing advances and tomorrow will get a 19 tooth pinion, that's the smallest I can fit with the motor mount.
Guess I will try that, if that don't work then I am guessing I will have to go down in turns.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
3x48
3x38
3x34
2 of each
What sets did you buy? I was trying to find some online, but none were fitting those dimensions. Have a link to them by chance? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rybeau40
What sets did you buy? I was trying to find some online, but none were fitting those dimensions. Have a link to them by chance? Thanks!
I don't think Lunsford does make those exact sizes. When I got mine, I converted the instruction sizes into imperial. Here is what Ty is using. Most are slightly shorter than the manual but I understand why he uses them after I built my car. We use up all the threading especially after copying Ty's setup. But here is what I got (which work fine) and they match out of box:
All are 3 mm and then 1 3/8" (steering), 1 1/2" (rear), and 1 7/8" (front).

Originally Posted by TYTESSMANN
The sizes of the turnbuckles I use on the D413 are below

Front Camber Link 3 x 1 7/8
Rear Camber Link 3 x 1 3/8
Steering Link 3 x 1 1/4

I get my titanium turnbuckles from www.lunsfordracing.com they have great products.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default D413 review

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GGREAVES
I am running reedy sonic Mach 2, looked and could not find FDR for the motor.
No slop in motor mount and gear mesh is good. I did have boost and turbo timing on 10 degree timing.
I have already changed ESC setting to eliminate timing advances and tomorrow will get a 19 tooth pinion, that's the smallest I can fit with the motor mount.
Guess I will try that, if that don't work then I am guessing I will have to go down in turns.
Currently I'm running the xb4 2013 v2 with the same motor and a mmp esc with a 19t pinion with 10 degrees timing. The motor comes off a 10 minute main at about 165 and the esc has an air conditioner on it so it's good. I give it no slack whatsoever, and it keeps taking it and wanting more so I keep dishing out. Maybe a 19t pinion will fix you up. Good luck!
Wonder how this Wheeler compares?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sofa King
Hey, that looks familiar....

Here it is all done

Maybe because it looks sofa king good? Can't wait to see how it drives (hint hint!) I guess you can go for that big quad without worries. Need a faster motor?
Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
nice vid jason. i can't help but hate all of you unprepared people with no electronics that got chosen to received a buggy from the first batch. i've had everything ready to go for this buggy (esc, motor, batteries, servo, servo horn, tires) for weeks and yet.....no buggy. no, actually i'll expand on that. i hate EVERYONE that has a buggy!!!!!!!

/end of jealous rant
Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
nice vid jason. i can't help but hate all of you unprepared people with no electronics that got chosen to received a buggy from the first batch. i've had everything ready to go for this buggy (esc, motor, batteries, servo, servo horn, tires) for weeks and yet.....no buggy. no, actually i'll expand on that. i hate EVERYONE that has a buggy!!!!!!!

/end of jealous rant
dont hate the player hate the game.....

I have electronics....but have some different stuff coming for a review.....!

On a side note.....this car was sitting on the counter in a hobby shop in Illinois.....was not mail ordered!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
+ YouTube Video
Nice review Jason. We need one on-track. Send it up here and I'll take it through a tough test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.