TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trakjunky
Yeah I'm not into it enough to have 8th scale cars. I ride mx in the summer time. I run wheeler and 2wd stock when I got race though. My kid drives his 22t.

What's the pay it forward race? Maybe I'll try it out.
The pay it forward race is sort of like a toys for tots race. I'm sure anyone that gets a 22 3.0 in our area will be running this event. Come out and have fun if you get one.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
The pay it forward race is sort of like a toys for tots race. I'm sure anyone that gets a 22 3.0 in our area will be running this event. Come out and have fun if you get one.
Send me a pm with info.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

does anyone know if the kit comes with the 70t spur gear for stock setup, or will associated spur gears work ?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sgtlt
does anyone know if the kit comes with the 70t spur gear for stock setup, or will associated spur gears work ?
Does not come with a 70t and I know associated spurs don't fit with tlr HD pads, and I'm not to sure about using associated pads with tlr slipper plates I haven't tried that yet. But the tlr 70t and old losi pads that came with 2.0 will work
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tlr site said 78t spur comes with the kit. Luckily I have a JC70 and a 31t tlr pinion.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sgtlt
It does not, and no they don't. You would have to use it with the AE pads and possibly the plates as well..
Old 11-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

I talked to Horizon Sales today about my preorder. The sales rep said that none of the 3.0 have shipped yet and he was expecting my order to ship early next week. So maybe none of the direct preorders from horizon have shipped yet.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

I think the 3.0 uses the same top shaft as the 2.0, so you could put on the Schelle/Avid slipper kit. I've got plenty of those gears around.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fantomdude
I talked to Horizon Sales today about my preorder. The sales rep said that none of the 3.0 have shipped yet and he was expecting my order to ship early next week. So maybe none of the direct preorders from horizon have shipped yet.
Sounds about right. Either their short staffed today or everyone is calling about their 3.0s haven't been able to get through and their call back isn't working.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

R/C Excitement in MA got some 3.0's in today, I was able to purchase one of the few they had left. Hopefully they will get it shipped out to me today!
Old 11-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran my 3.0 in our local club race on Wednesday night. It was pretty much a revolving door at my pit table as a lot of people were checking it out and asking questions. Most of them left impressed and some were saying they planned on picking one up. I let a friend drive it who had been considering one since the announcement and he was sold by the time he gave it back.

The track here is med-high bite damp clay and the tires of choice are slicks. The layout was new and sometimes a very low pin is more consistent on a green track but it got well watered through the night so the slicks stayed on. The new layout is quite technical so most people run nearly the same 5 minute time with a 17.5 or a 7.5.

I run a very dialed and upgraded/optioned 3-gear B5M in stock and do quite well with it. Despite my better judgement I ran the 22 3.0 in mod and the B5M in stock as I had been. Usually with a new car I'll do the opposite until I feel like it is dialed in. I ended up beating my best five minute time by 6 seconds with the 3.0. I tied my fast lap. I think that is pretty impressive given the car was coming straight out of the box against a car I have a lot of laps and tuning hours with.

Subjectively the car feels quite balanced. Plenty of steering all around but it also felt very locked in out back. The car generates a lot of forward bite as I had a tough time keeping the front of the car down on the straight. Unless I rolled the throttle on carefully it would wheelie. The car also has more of an aggressive feeling vs the B5M w/ 3-gear. Some of this was probably due to all the extra power of the 8.5 I had in it but I am going to go practice with it using a 17.5 and I will have a better picture. I know the guys who run a B5M in mod with the 3 gear typically run a brass or steel suspension hanger to help put the power down. I was expecting the same given the 3.0 has a 3 gear tranny too but I had no issues at all in that department. The only thing I am considering changing from the box setup is maybe going to a 1.6mm piston in front. Our track is on the bumpier side and I feel like the front end was bouncing around a little more than I would like.

In summary I am really a fan of this car. I don't think there is anything magic about it but on med-high bite you are not going to have any excuses for not winning, straight out of the box. I would say 85-90% of people in both mod and stock run B5Ms here. I think this car is defintely going to move the needle back for TLR. At $329 it is an excellent value considering it needs nothing added to it to be competitive.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
I ran my 3.0 in our local club race on Wednesday night. It was pretty much a revolving door at my pit table as a lot of people were checking it out and asking questions. Most of them left impressed and some were saying they planned on picking one up. I let a friend drive it who had been considering one since the announcement and he was sold by the time he gave it back.

The track here is med-high bite damp clay and the tires of choice are slicks. The layout was new and sometimes a very low pin is more consistent on a green track but it got well watered through the night so the slicks stayed on. The new layout is quite technical so most people run nearly the same 5 minute time with a 17.5 or a 7.5.

I run a very dialed and upgraded/optioned 3-gear B5M in stock and do quite well with it. Despite my better judgement I ran the 22 3.0 in mod and the B5M in stock as I had been. Usually with a new car I'll do the opposite until I feel like it is dialed in. I ended up beating my best five minute time by 6 seconds with the 3.0. I tied my fast lap. I think that is pretty impressive given the car was coming straight out of the box against a car I have a lot of laps and tuning hours with.

Subjectively the car feels quite balanced. Plenty of steering all around but it also felt very locked in out back. The car generates a lot of forward bite as I had a tough time keeping the front of the car down on the straight. Unless I rolled the throttle on carefully it would wheelie. The car also has more of an aggressive feeling vs the B5M w/ 3-gear. Some of this was probably due to all the extra power of the 8.5 I had in it but I am going to go practice with it using a 17.5 and I will have a better picture. I know the guys who run a B5M in mod with the 3 gear typically run a brass or steel suspension hanger to help put the power down. I was expecting the same given the 3.0 has a 3 gear tranny too but I had no issues at all in that department. The only thing I am considering changing from the box setup is maybe going to a 1.6mm piston in front. Our track is on the bumpier side and I feel like the front end was bouncing around a little more than I would like.

In summary I am really a fan of this car. I don't think there is anything magic about it but on med-high bite you are not going to have any excuses for not winning, straight out of the box. I would say 85-90% of people in both mod and stock run B5Ms here. I think this car is defintely going to move the needle back for TLR. At $329 it is an excellent value considering it needs nothing added to it to be competitive.
Matt, I always enjoy reading your write-ups as they are very informative and thorough. Did you get rid of your KF2? I don't see it listed in your signature. I still have mine, but it is stripped of all electronics and in a box in my garage.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:59 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by solly
R/C Excitement in MA got some 3.0's in today, I was able to purchase one of the few they had left. Hopefully they will get it shipped out to me today!
Sweet! I hear they only have 4 left...

Originally Posted by RedBMaster
Sounds about right. Either their short staffed today or everyone is calling about their 3.0s haven't been able to get through and their call back isn't working.
Short staffed for sure. Hopefully they'll get back to you soon.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:02 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt

Old 11-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

i have my losi wesday or truesday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.