Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default gear diff woo's !

just done a meeting and tryed my gear diff in the back and hated it , i put the advised 10k in there and the spool up front ..

it was terrible and very loose and twitchy ...

on practice , it was like a drift car with the 10k in there ..

1st heat , i dropped it to 1k to see how different it would be , and was still very loose and inconsistent .. and last !!

2nd heat ... i fitted the ball diff in there and it was alot better , i crashed a few times and got taken out once or twice ...finished 4th

3rd heat alot better , despite being knocked back to last and then came back to 3rd ..

qualified on 4th , and finished 2nd ...

... the main thing ive noticed is that the gear diff is really rough , and it seems to go tight every now and then .....

does anyone do anything to them from stock , ie remove shims etc ..?? ..

cheers shaun
Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default gear diff

we race on painted concrete surface with low grip level & fairly technichal track running 21.5/17.5 & found with the gear diff fitted the rear isvery loose & a little unpredicdable so refitted the ball diff automatically fixed the rear end issues,but my understanding is that they are great when the grip level is good to high is that correct ???

graham
Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Same Here,
3 of us @ our Local Club Gave up Trying Gear Diff and back To BallDiff Result is much Better Than Gear Diff...
I will Try it again If Spec-R Size Gear Diff Comes Up for Photon, Size of the Current Top Gear Diff Make it So Tricky
Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I disassembled my gear diffs, found that the shims on the outdrive gears were causing them to bind a bit. I took out 1 shim from each side, that freed things up. I tried the 10k fluid and the car was loose out back, so i put in some 5k fluid in the 17.5 spec car and 7k fluid in the 17.5 boosted car and now both are smoooooth, no signs of the notching and no leaks...... all that makes a happy Photon.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobC
I disassembled my gear diffs, found that the shims on the outdrive gears were causing them to bind a bit. I took out 1 shim from each side, that freed things up. I tried the 10k fluid and the car was loose out back, so i put in some 5k fluid in the 17.5 spec car and 7k fluid in the 17.5 boosted car and now both are smoooooth, no signs of the notching and no leaks...... all that makes a happy Photon.
How many runs on them this way? I have done that on the bench, but I worry about them stripping easily without the proper mesh.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeXray
How many runs on them this way? I have done that on the bench, but I worry about them stripping easily without the proper mesh.
Both cars have a race day and the spec car has 2 practice days.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I ran mine stock with the 20k for a few runs before switching to the 10k. The lighter oil gave me more steering which could be loose on some surfaces. I stayed patient and let the diff wear in naturally and they both feel good. You can still feel the gears when you roll it, but they are smooth and consistent. Be careful with removing shims. You may like the feel better in your hand, but you also risk stripping the gears from an improper mesh.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I ran mine stock with the 20k for a few runs before switching to the 10k. The lighter oil gave me more steering which could be loose on some surfaces. I stayed patient and let the diff wear in naturally and they both feel good. You can still feel the gears when you roll it, but they are smooth and consistent. Be careful with removing shims. You may like the feel better in your hand, but you also risk stripping the gears from an improper mesh.

Pretty sure this is the case with my gear diff

from factory it had one shim less than what the maintenance kit instructions state
and it let go big time when I needed it most
was fine in the practice days leading upto the event then in the qualies it let fly
my next one will have the extra shims it should of had from factory
Old 09-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

What is the Photon's internal drive ratio?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by avink007
What is the Photon's internal drive ratio?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My Photon on foams is kind of awesome, I ran with some Nitro guys today at my club, a limited HP class we have here, my rubbers were too soft for the warmish day, so I threw on some foams, made me realize I like driving on foam.
Also ran a 20min final, pit stop battery change mid race killed my laps a little, but it was still a lot of fun, I probably broke some hard core electric taboo though...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tony, your car looked reaaally good yesterday!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
Tony, your car looked reaaally good yesterday!
Thanks Dave. I was really happy with the performance of both stock and mod cars. What do I need to do to convert you? You need a loaner?

How about Mark on his maiden voyage, laying down the TQ and win? Started the season with 2 photons on the track, now there's 8 of them.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Thanks Dave. I was really happy with the performance of both stock and mod cars. What do I need to do to convert you? You need a loaner?

How about Mark on his maiden voyage, laying down the TQ and win? Started the season with 2 photons on the track, now there's 8 of them.
Yep, Mark's Photon looked good in mod. I dont think mod is the proving grounds though. We turned 13.3-13.7's in 17.5 fairly consistently, and i think mod's fastest was a 13.2? I wonder how his Photon would have done in 17.5 with that little prep. Not doubting the car at all, you guys have definitely done well with it. Arv got her in the A in Vegas too (he's still runnin Red right?)... so the car's gotta be good.

A loaner? Wanna trade cars for a weekend? lol If you hate my shaftie, for your troubles ill let you soak it with a can of motor spray and torch it after the race. haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.