Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

I have constructed my TBIII also. However I found that it is quite hard to push the front one-way and rear ball diff into the gear cast. According Tamiya's HP , it seems to be the design which used to hold the two gear firm. But I still hear that it is better to trim the gear cast so that the bearing can be push completely inside. Do you guys experience that and what do you think about. Trim it down or not??

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by mr4-tc sp
Hi all,

I have constructed my TBIII also. However I found that it is quite hard to push the front one-way and rear ball diff into the gear cast. According Tamiya's HP , it seems to be the design which used to hold the two gear firm. But I still hear that it is better to trim the gear cast so that the bearing can be push completely inside. Do you guys experience that and what do you think about. Trim it down or not??

Thanks!
I'd guess that if you are going to shave some plastic off, you would have to do a good job of making sure they are even otherwise you could hurt the efficiency of the diffs.

I've found that screwing in the diff covers too tight can actually hurth the smoothness of the driver train. I ended up backing the screws off slightly until the drive train freed up.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Hi itchynads,

Thanks a lot!
I have already done the same action as you. What I doubt is if I cut off the part, and make the even, would it be smoother than screw back method?
Old 01-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by mr4-tc sp
Hi itchynads,

Thanks a lot!
I have already done the same action as you. What I doubt is if I cut off the part, and make the even, would it be smoother than screw back method?
I think its safer to just leave it because if you do shave some off the diff mounts, it might be too loose when the mount wears over time.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot!

In one word, TB EVO III is just a good car!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Set-up ???????

Hey guys,

My car is on its way!!! I should have it Monday or Tuesday!!! yahooo.

I cannot race it till I put a front diff in it-but that'll just allow me more time to make sure the drivetrain, etc is free and everything perfect!!!

I would like your guys comments on this set-up I am going to start with. I am going to run the car on Ozite carpet on foam tires on a 88' x 50' fast roadcourse. Stock and 19 turn. NO Mod.

Front shocks will be 60 wt. Associated oil with smallest hole piston. Associated yellow spring. Shocks mounted one hole in on tower. No or very thin sway bar. Plaid Jaco tires. Diff very tight.

Camber link second longest possible and as high as possible. Low roll center with zero kick-up and 6 degree castor blocks.

2 degrees toe out, camber set for tire wear. 4mm ride height. Front arms middle wheelbase.

Rear shocks will be 40 wt. oil with smallest hole pistons. Associated purple or copper spring. Shocks leaned in to third hole on tower. No sway bar. Purple tires.

Camber link long and high as possible. 2 degrees toe in. arms in low roll center with zero kick-up or antidive. Arms full forward. 4mm ride height.

I know this is all guess work-but as I have NEVER owned a Tamiya before-maybe you guys know stuff I dont about general set-ups!!!

Last edited by rayhuang; 01-02-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

rayhuang: WOW, you already started thinking the setup for your new car. I rather think about it when I'm in the track. I believe the EVO3 comes with front oneway not diff. I'm getting my car TOMORROW!
Old 01-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Set-up ???????

Originally posted by rayhuang
Hey guys,

My car is on its way!!! I should have it Monday or Tuesday!!! yahooo.

I cannot race it till I put a front diff in it-but that'll just allow me more time to make sure the drivetrain, etc is free and everything perfect!!!

I would like your guys comments on this set-up I am going to start with. I am going to run the car on Ozite carpet on foam tires on a 88' x 50' fast roadcourse. Stock and 19 turn. NO Mod.

Front shocks will be 60 wt. Associated oil with smallest hole piston. Associated yellow spring. Shocks mounted one hole in on tower. No or very thin sway bar. Plaid Jaco tires. Diff very tight.

Camber link second longest possible and as high as possible. Low roll center with zero kick-up and 6 degree castor blocks.

2 degrees toe out, camber set for tire wear. 4mm ride height. Front arms middle wheelbase.

Rear shocks will be 40 wt. oil with smallest hole pistons. Associated purple or copper spring. Shocks leaned in to third hole on tower. No sway bar. Purple tires.

Camber link long and high as possible. 2 degrees toe in. arms in low roll center with zero kick-up or antidive. Arms full forward. 4mm ride height.

I know this is all guess work-but as I have NEVER owned a Tamiya before-maybe you guys know stuff I dont about general set-ups!!!
i'd seriously start with box setup, and see how the car behaves...the kit comes with medium springs (yellow), the first change for carpet that i'd probably make is a move to harder springs (blue)
Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

between owning my own business, owning my own track, raising my daughter, taking care of my house, wife, three cats and running my very small, but fun RC racing business, I dont know where I find the time to think up all this crap!!!

You gus are right-I should just set-it up as the book says, but I love to overthink everything!!!

Hmmm...maybe thats why I am always so stresed out..... hehehe!!
Old 01-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I only have the extra $$$ to get one from your shipment, ray...I would love to join you in your fun. I got too many regular TB01 in my stable that I would love to get rid of right now...I wish I can...I wish I can...I wish I can...
Old 01-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default EVO3 Drive train

Has anyone else found the need to break-in the drive train on the E3?

My car seemed to have a rough spot that would hang up when rotating the spur.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamiyatrf/
Old 01-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: EVO3 Drive train

Originally posted by madjack
Has anyone else found the need to break-in the drive train on the E3?

My car seemed to have a rough spot that would hang up when rotating the spur.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamiyatrf/
yes i found a similar issue...
Old 01-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

No shaft for me ill stick with my 414MII
Old 01-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Chris@WeaponR
No shaft for me ill stick with my 414MII
Ah...I too ran the M. You might be suprised by the peformance of the EVO3...time will tell I guess.

As for real cars...tune Germans by chance, looking for some help with an S6
Old 01-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I want to know how much this thing weights.

I don't want to buy a tamiya tank.

Someone please respond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.