Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Roelof

Hobbywing esc

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 01:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hobbywing esc

Hi. I bought a hobbywing pro stock 1s new off ebay.
It came in a plain hobbywing motor box but it says 2s on the esc case. The seller says its a factory drivers version. Do they come like this? Thanks
Old 06-15-2023, 03:36 AM
Tech Lord

The info page on the Hobbywing is very clear:
XeRun XR10 Stock Spec 1S (hobbywing.com)

So yes, you got a wrong ESC I think. And the mention of a very special team driver edition I doubt that. Not that they do not excist because I do believe they do but I know some shop owners who like to mention that a lot with the used stuff they sell.
choisan and gigaplex like this.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
The info page on the Hobbywing is very clear:
XeRun XR10 Stock Spec 1S (hobbywing.com)

So yes, you got a wrong ESC I think. And the mention of a very special team driver edition I doubt that. Not that they do not excist because I do believe they do but I know some shop owners who like to mention that a lot with the used stuff they sell.
Would a factory driver's version be ROAR et al legal? From the homologation form:
  • ESCs can be submitted at any time, but they must be approved AND available at retail locations 30 days before a ROAR event to be used in competition
  • Any model ESC that has an unsubmitted, unapproved companion model that is indistinguishable by any means other than its label, will not qualify for approval.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:19 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Would a factory driver's version be ROAR et al legal? From the homologation form:
  • ESCs can be submitted at any time, but they must be approved AND available at retail locations 30 days before a ROAR event to be used in competition
  • Any model ESC that has an unsubmitted, unapproved companion model that is indistinguishable by any means other than its label, will not qualify for approval.
What contains the roar approval and is that needed for modified racing?
In case of a blinky ESC, what is checked? One thing some racers kick on are the specs of the used FET's, you can use better FET's than normally used in production.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
What contains the roar approval and is that needed for modified racing?
In case of a blinky ESC, what is checked? One thing some racers kick on are the specs of the used FET's, you can use better FET's than normally used in production.
If the hardware or firmware is of a version that is not approved, it's illegal for blinky. Don't know about modified. All firmware updates need recertification. Pretty sure most companies already break that rule, but anyway...

Couple more points on the homologation form that are of interest:
  • New software versions for programmable ESCs must be approved. Speed controls using software that is not approved will be deemed ineligible for competition and any results disqualified.
  • As a company principal, I certify that all the above information is accurate and that the ESC being submitted is a production unit, identical to those that will be available to team drivers, and through the retail market. I understand that a violation of these rules will result in a minimum one-year suspension from the ROAR competition.
http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/ROAR_ESC_FORM.pdf

Last edited by gigaplex; 06-15-2023 at 01:58 PM.