Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Apparently MyLaps latest firmware will disable ANY transponder not using the RC4 protocol. This means that your original 2 wire AMBrc DP transponders, MRT transponders and house transponders will no longer work.

Please ask your local track to put off the firmware update if they can, or you'll be stuck buying new transponders!

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_features/16265-LRC%3A_Newest_MyLaps_firmware_update_adds_features %2C_disables_MRT_transponders/
oldernoob likes this.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1
oldernoob likes this.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They really are anti competitive @%$*&ers, i have zero numbers, but this is a real push to gain all the market by MyLaps (even to route out their older versions!) I hope this backfires on them as i worry that it will harm all the other racers already out there (and the hobby as a whole). The cost of a transponder is not a performance cost, it's a commitment cost. To have to splash out all over again is pretty galling.
Glowster21 and DRTMI like this.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:38 AM
Tech Lord

That MRT transponders are disabled is their right, MRT was making transponders w/o licence. Disabling the older AMB transponders was already said when introducing the RC4 transponder, that is why by then there was a huge exchange program getting a RC4 hybrid transponder.
but I can imagine disabling the RC3 transponders and the club handout transponder is comming as an unwanted supprise.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

The last time MyLaps pulled this crap, it only took MRT a few months to update their hardware and they offered a free trade-up program... only thing MyLaps has accomplished is pissing off MyLaps customers. Forcing people to buy new equipment every few years for no other reason than to turn a profit is a shady business practice, I hope it bites them in the rear and someone else comes up with a MyLaps compatible decoder.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...g-decoder.html
f1reblade, DRTMI and oldernoob like this.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I wonder how long before rc4 is phased out? I have a rc4 one...
Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have 3 AMBs that work fine and I cannot afford to buy new ones. This will most likely kill my RC Racing. I'll be one pissed off puppy if I show for a Race and I'm/we are not informed what system is being used.
After 32 yrs of racing I may have to call it!
It's a sad day when any company does this crap!
Old 10-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Tech Lord

An update from a Dutch time keeper.

Update !!!!! This , not working of DP and club transponders, is only when you update your MyLaps Decoder to the new version 4.5 !! So for all clubs that have NO drone races.......DO NOT UPDATE YOUR DECODER TO 4.5 VERSION !! Then their will be no problemo at all !!
It looks like the 4.5 has some features for drone racing and so no use to do the update for rc car racing.
Trick81 likes this.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG JIM WOODMAN
I have 3 AMBs that work fine and I cannot afford to buy new ones. This will most likely kill my RC Racing. I'll be one pissed off puppy if I show for a Race and I'm/we are not informed what system is being used.
After 32 yrs of racing I may have to call it!
It's a sad day when any company does this crap!
Lol so your ok with spending 300 for a new chassis but replacing transponders is the last straw? You also don't have to replace all 3 of your transponders, just replace one. I don't mean to single you out but knee jerk reactions are funny.

Also as long as 1 company corners the market this is what happens, and there isn't much anyone can do about it.
Drakeydrake likes this.

Last edited by Darkgenerals; 10-28-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Lol so your ok with spending 300 for a new chassis but replacing transponders is the last straw? You also don't have to replace all 3 of your transponders, just replace one. I don't mean to single you out but knee jerk reactions are funny.

Also as long as 1 company corners the market this is what happens, and there isn't much anyone cab do about it.
I disagree... I own 10 transponders... and they were slowly acquired over time... it's nice to have a separate one for each class I race... this should be a one time investment, not a revolving expense that is controlled by a monopoly, having to drop another $1,000+ just for pure greed is not cool.

If I choose to run a radio system, or any other electronics that are decades old, then that should be my prerogative too!
Owl, DRTMI, Petem and 1 others like this.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also as long as 1 company corners the market this is what happens, and there isn't much anyone cab do about it.
^This.

I do not fault a company that invests to create/fill a market need by developing a suite of products, only to have to compete against some third party coming along and 'piggybacking' on a small (most profitable?) part of that business, from taking steps to protect their investment and viability.

For all the complaints otherwise, if there truly was a profitable business model to develop a comprehensive competing solution, doesn't it make sense someone (or many someones) would have been lining up to grab that opportunity? Maybe having to invest to build-out the entire thing just isn't that profitable - in which case is it really fair to bash MyLaps for taking this step?

As a consumer, this doesn't have to mean we have to like the change. Though perhaps some of the 'energy' being directed at MyLaps should be focused elsewhere - like those only providing a 'half a solution'? (Not encouraging this)
racer1812 and Superglide like this.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by billdelong
I disagree... I own 10 transponders... and they were slowly acquired over time... it's nice to have a separate one for each class I race... this should be a one time investment, not a revolving expense that is controlled by a monopoly, having to drop another $1,000+ just for pure greed is not cool.

If I choose to run a radio system, or any other electronics that are decades old, then that should be my prerogative too!
I get what your coming from but again, there isn't much you can actually do when they are the only game in town.

When you buy into an eco system, your at the mercy of the people who control that eco system. Until some one comes out with a better system, then understand the risks your taking. I wounder how many people who had thousands invested into crystal radios, yelled and screamed when 2.4ghz came out. This ins't a direct comparison but its close enough.

lol at talking about running an old radio system. Just an FYI running old radio systems don't depend on base stations controlled by 3rd parties that stand to gain financially when they stop you from using it.
racer1812 likes this.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by gee-dub
^This.

I do not fault a company that invests to create/fill a market need by developing a suite of products, only to have to compete against some third party coming along and 'piggybacking' on a small (most profitable?) part of that business, from taking steps to protect their investment and viability.

For all the complaints otherwise, if there truly was a profitable business model to develop a comprehensive competing solution, doesn't it make sense someone (or many someones) would have been lining up to grab that opportunity? Maybe having to invest to build-out the entire thing just isn't that profitable - in which case is it really fair to bash MyLaps for taking this step?

As a consumer, this doesn't have to mean we have to like the change. Though perhaps some of the 'energy' being directed at MyLaps should be focused elsewhere - like those only providing a 'half a solution'? (Not encouraging this)

Agreed 100%

I'm really surprised no one has developed an RFID tag based system. The tags would be so cheap. The "transponders" could be stickers that you apply to the body.
DRTMI and Trick81 like this.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:42 AM
Tech Lord

I believe the system for the Kyosho dNano is just based on rfid. But rfid is I believe too slow.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Also as long as 1 company corners the market this is what happens, and there isn't much anyone can do about it.
How does requiring a new transponder make you faster, or improved over the old one?

I get what your coming from but again, there isn't much you can actually do when they are the only game in town.

When you buy into an eco system, your at the mercy of the people who control that eco system. Until some one comes out with a better system, then understand the risks your taking. I wounder how many people who had thousands invested into crystal radios, yelled and screamed when 2.4ghz came out. This ins't a direct comparison but its close enough.

lol at talking about running an old radio system. Just an FYI running old radio systems don't depend on base stations controlled by 3rd parties that stand to gain financially when they stop you from using it.

Your crystal radio still works. You can still take it to the track and race with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.