Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by afm
OOOPSS!! man, you must be doing something wrong, because you also broke conrods and cranks on the Sirio engines....What fuel are you using??? what oil % does it have, and what temps are you running these engines.

AFM
my guess the motor was rev too high duing the break in so the rod/shaft broken, it also happens when the car is unload off the ground with high revs.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by ziggy12345
Hey Dynamite. Is that bthe Tamworth in the UK? I ,live near there and there is no RC club there.
Australia maybe?

Cheers
Yes I am from Australia
Old 03-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by afm
OOOPSS!! man, you must be doing something wrong, because you also broke conrods and cranks on the Sirio engines....What fuel are you using??? what oil % does it have, and what temps are you running these engines.

AFM
sidewinder 20 nitro, 12 oil, i quarter open the carb, and 1 turn open from what came from factory 4th tank, running in according to instructions and clutch not tied, 180f, my fault! i donīt think so, mega tells to change the conrod after 3 hours, not 3 tanks, just spoke and the engine is on the way to serpent usa since there is warranty and they want to inspect the engine to prevent what happened to the zx21, as i recall there was an issue with the crankshafts, perhaps thereīll be another with the conrod since they appear to use same low quality material, opps I mean realistically priced material! hope not
the sirios both were from the first batch, the 3 port with the small head (bad conrod) and the 5 port with the old crankshaft (not the racing one) never ran above 220, my track is small and Iīm easy with the throttle since Iīm not expert.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by speedy100
my guess the motor was rev too high duing the break in so the rod/shaft broken, it also happens when the car is unload off the ground with high revs.
i set the epa on the radio to be open 1/4, and believe me this is the 7th engine that Iīve done running in and never happened something like this
Old 03-16-2005, 05:25 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally posted by theRED5
I've been waiting on mine to blow, it's been running great, pulls HARD, revs like there's no tomorrow.

Another race weekend under its belt, and still running great. I wonder if the mods Murnan did are keeping it together? What is the problem with the cranks?
I still have the stock crank in mine but I have only run a few tanks after the break-in so I have been very easy on it. I heard that the material used was too brittle and they were breaking. Keep me/us posted on your progress. I don't know if all of the cranks will eventually fail or if they just didn't want to take anymore chances.

BTW, I got my replacement crank last week. I think I like the looks of the old one better.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

are they going to come out with a new batch zx12 motors that have all the problems fixed? because i dont want to get one and the con. rod breaks on me.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by jag
I still have the stock crank in mine but I have only run a few tanks after the break-in so I have been very easy on it. I heard that the material used was too brittle and they were breaking. Keep me/us posted on your progress. I don't know if all of the cranks will eventually fail or if they just didn't want to take anymore chances.

BTW, I got my replacement crank last week. I think I like the looks of the old one better.
i got the new crank last week but there is one turbo scoop, the original crank had 3 scoop i remember. don't know if any difference in the performance wise.............
Old 03-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by 1FastSerpent
Speedy100,
I was talking about the 12 not the 21. I run both cars. the 12 has been a very good motor. This motor makes good power all the way around. I ran a 30 min main this past weekend with 30% and I had no problems at all. Nice 210 Degrees And moving like a bullet. I did notice you have to use a stiffer clutch spring with it . The standard 710 spring is too weak. it coil binds before you get a proper adjustment. I used the 950R spring and it really made it come alive on the bottom.
1FastSerpent,

I heard many good things about the 0.12, they say this motors has tones of power and it is fastest. yes, this motor need a harder spring to obtain better perfromance in the bottom.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Roadrage,
I think the conrod issue with the above guy was a freak thing. Too many of us here in Fl. Are running these 12 Mega motors with NO problems at all. ( Other then the too much torque on the bottom =) . If you run the Forgass series, just ask anyone who is runing it , what they think.

Speedy100,
Your right on about the scoops in the 21 replacment crank. The replacment crank is just that, a replacment. Alot of differences in the intake timming & ventury hole ( center of crank ). Compared to the first cranks, But i Did run the new crank this past weekend and it wasn't too bad. Little soft on top end but not bad.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by speedy100
1FastSerpent,

I heard many good things about the 0.12, they say this motors has tones of power and it is fastest. yes, this motor need a harder spring to obtain better perfromance in the bottom.
Wonder where they the standard ones or the special black cases ones some of the team drivers have been spotted with
Old 03-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1FastSerpent
[B]Roadrage,
I think the conrod issue with the above guy was a freak thing. Too many of us here in Fl. Are running these 12 Mega motors with NO problems at all. ( Other then the too much torque on the bottom =) . If you run the Forgass series, just ask anyone who is runing it , what they think.

thanks for the info mark,couple questions:
.how long have you been using your motor,and is it the factory con rod?
.and above i herd you are using thr 950r clutch sping. how is it compared to the stock? thanks
Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
Wonder where they the standard ones or the special black cases ones some of the team drivers have been spotted with
You mean Palmaris Engine will never have any future improvement as they never testing any prototypes? Please clarify your posting. Thx
Old 03-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I suspect that too since the publicly available engine set doesnt impressed me in any sense. I think I should save my money for something better.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE]Originally posted by roadrage
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by 1FastSerpent
[B]Roadrage,

I agree, something happened and that is why serpent us asked me to send the engine, itīs under warranty and I agree, that engine is fast, Iīll let know what happend when serpent usa sends me back the engine with an explanation. anyway powerpack 12 race legal is on the way!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Roadrage,
I have been using my Mega 12 since the winternats. And we have raced 3 other races since then. So I have about 1 gallon on the motor now. As far as the factory rod. Yes the motor is box stock. no mods no nothing. Same type of off the shelf motor you or joe blow would receive.
As far as the clutch spring . the one which comes with the 710 standered ( in the box ) is a tad bit soft for the torque of the new mega 12. you have to tighten it too much to make it have the snap off the corner you need. By tightening it so much , you end up with coil bind. and you will acually hear the motor ( double clutching) off the corner. I use the 950r spring set at .9 mm . Seems to really work well. We are racing in lakeland this weekend. I'll see ya if ya show up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.