Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by roadrage
and above i herd you are using thr 950r clutch sping. how is it compared to the stock? thanks
The 950R Centax II spring is harder (1.8 mm diameter versus 1.7 mm for the stock). A harder spring gives a snappier clutch response.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pyramid
You mean Palmaris Engine will never have any future improvement as they never testing any prototypes? Please clarify your posting. Thx
For sure, those black crankcase engines spotted during the Winternats and the WC were of course pre-production units.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by NetBike
I suspect that too since the publicly available engine set doesnt impressed me in any sense. I think I should save my money for something better.
I think buying that engine is already saving you money in terms of the engine price and price of the spare parts. I don't think with the same amount of money will get you that kind of performance.

Anyway, when have you seen the engines on normal racer's cars? What pipe did they use? Were their engines tuned properly?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by 1FastSerpent
As far as the clutch spring . the one which comes with the 710 standered ( in the box ) is a tad bit soft for the torque of the new mega 12. you have to tighten it too much to make it have the snap off the corner you need. By tightening it so much , you end up with coil bind. and you will acually hear the motor ( double clutching) off the corner. I use the 950r spring set at .9 mm . Seems to really work well.

Hey 1FastSerpent, do you also run any mods on the Centax 3 flyweights when running with the hard spring on the Mega ZX-12 engine?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Pyramid
You mean Palmaris Engine will never have any future improvement as they never testing any prototypes? Please clarify your posting. Thx
Always testing going on. Just people dont see it. Just like I said. Some Team Serpent drivers have been seen running a black case engine. It clearly quicker than the stock engines.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
It clearly quicker than the stock engines.
Sure? I hope you know pretty well enough by now not to buy the notion "if it comes in a black crankcase, then it's surely fast"...

It was said that during the Winternats, M. Salven offered some guys to test his own engine. The black crankcase pre-production one if I'm not mistaken. After testing it, they bought one off the shelf and the engine performance was the same as the one from M. Salven...

So much from believing black crankcase = more power...

I think some Mega internals pics of M. Salven after the Euro TC tech inspection in Luxemborg were posted and the internals did not show anything special...
Old 03-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
Sure? I hope you know pretty well enough by now not to buy the notion "if it comes in a black crankcase, then it's surely fast"...

It was said that during the Winternats, M. Salven offered some guys to test his own engine. The black crankcase pre-production one if I'm not mistaken. After testing it, they bought one off the shelf and the engine performance was the same as the one from M. Salven...

So much from believing black crankcase = more power...

I think some Mega internals pics of M. Salven after the Euro TC tech inspection in Luxemborg were posted and the internals did not show anything special...
Old 03-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks mark. this will most likely be my next motor,so i am going to have to pick me up a 950r clutch spring to.. i will not be at lakeland this weekend due to local hobbyshop race witch sux.Good luck tho(ive been seeing the sheets and you've been cranking some good times )
Old 03-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Initial D. I think i get what you mean. are you talking about better fuel saving for this engine will also save me some money? that would be great. but I need a fast engine not only a fuel saving engine. Any thought?

by the way, the mega I saw is not impressive at all but I didnt time his run time to check if this engine is really fuel saving.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

I´m in desperate need for the factory settings for the zx12 race. ran the engine, perfect! one race perfect! took it off to repair my car, put it back and somehow it just ran fine and then dies, like with a ploff sound from the pipery new plug, nothing yet, I lost the settings! thanks!
sidewinder 20 race, mega medium plug and rd turbo 1 pipe
Old 03-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by NetBike
Thanks Initial D. I think i get what you mean. are you talking about better fuel saving for this engine will also save me some money? that would be great. but I need a fast engine not only a fuel saving engine. Any thought?
I think you got me wrong here. Just read the Winternats report. If you can TQ with that engine in 5 minutes heats and win the A main, then I would think speed and fuel consumption will not be a problem.

As for cost savings, I don't think you'll save fuel in the long run. Just check the prices of spare parts against the Novarossi ones...
Old 03-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Seisick
ran the engine, perfect! one race perfect! took it off to repair my car, put it back and somehow it just ran fine and then dies, like with a ploff sound from the pipery new plug, nothing yet, I lost the settings! thanks!
I'm having trouble understanding... Did you mention you put in a new plug after you found problems starting?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Seisick
I´m in desperate need for the factory settings for the zx12 race. ran the engine, perfect! one race perfect! took it off to repair my car, put it back and somehow it just ran fine and then dies, like with a ploff sound from the pipery new plug, nothing yet, I lost the settings! thanks!
sidewinder 20 race, mega medium plug and rd turbo 1 pipe
Initialy, we have this problem also.
Make sure your fuel has "only" 11% oil content and set the low mixture as wet as you can. High idle with rich low mixture.
We set ours so can only stay for 5-6 sec idle, enough for refuelling time (with stock EFRA 2602 pipe). Than you will get the most from this stock engine. Dont try to tune high needle using visible smoke !!!
Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Potje
Hi Speedy,

Do you mean a head shim? And for the purpose of....?
When you buy an engine, you don't need to add anything, it runs fine as it is supplied.

Regards,
Maarten
What is the correct head shim for ZX 21 if I run Tornado 25%, #7 Cold Mega/Picco Plug ?

The stock engine come with 0.4mm. On the first day I ran-in the first 1.5 L with this setting. However, I found the glow plug was a bit "compressed". To safe guard the engine of being too much compression (Not sure if I am correct)

On the second day I added 0.1mm to 0.5mm. But I burned 2 glow plugs (w/o dropping the metal coil luckily ). The engine has never been over-heated. Any advice from ZX 21 users is appreciated. Thks.

Altezza
Old 03-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by InitialD
As for cost savings, I don't think you'll save fuel in the long run. Just check the prices of spare parts against the Novarossi ones...
Don't forget to check the plug's price too...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.