Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

I finally had a chance to break-in my Red Dot yesterday.

I am so impressed with this engine. By the end of the day, still running rich for break-in, the engine was already screaming!!

I thought I was using 16t and 22t pinions in my RRR to start with. I assumed this becuase I did not care what clutch bell I put on, but noticed the awesome acceleration the engine produced.

Later I realized I had counted the teeth wrong! I had 17t and 23t pinions with out-of-box spurs and still had great acceleration out of the turn!! Great top speed, too! Lots of bottom end grunt!

Our track has a 240ft long backstraight and my engine was delivering a steady increase in speed all the way!! I thought the engine would suffer a bit at heights (close to 1 mile high in my hometown) but gladly dropped that concern!!

I am not sure about this one in particular, but given the height here other Picco engines can easily make more than 6 min on a single fuel tank load! So I have good expectations on this one as well!

I am a happy customer and willing to go back!!

Thanks Sam for your support!!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default JLR Observations

Plug Mega Cold No7
Tornado Fuel 30%
Standard Head Shimming that came with Engine
Skyline VR-12 Plus Pipe
Car MTX-4
Pinion 18/24
Spurs 59/53
Tires 59fronts/61mm Rears

After break-in and clutch adjustments, I started to lean the motor. Most of the tuning I did was leaning the HSN. I leaned the bottom only about three hours from the factory settings. The motor accelerated hard from the start leaving a good three to four feet of smoke, and didn't stutter at all. In fact the torque of the motor is amazing all the way through the rpm range. Through the entire tuning process I must have leaned the HSN almost a full turn from the factory settings, and the motor just got faster. After each bout of leaning the motor an hour, I would run it hard on the track for three to four laps. Each time the car came into the pits, it would drop idle to a steady slow idle. I would lean the motor again by an hour and do the whole process again. Each time I brought the car into the pits the idle would drop back down to a slow steady idle. I kept this process going until I reached a point where I was happy with the motors performance, and the motor would come into the pits and idle down right away to a slow steady idle. The motor also left a nice trail of smoke each time I accelerated and just revved all the way through the RPM range. I didn't even bother with taking temps because the motor was "happy" and not lean pinging inthe least. Toledo is a big sweeping track, and I made 5 mins easy with the motor. Many of the Nova's and other hi-performance engines were barely making mileage. Temps were in the high 70's and tracks temps in the low 90's. This motor will be awesome when the temp's are 90 plus outside and everybody but me has to short pit!! This motor definately like BIG GEARS, and I think if I had a 19/25 for my mugen it would have pulled them just fine.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtrmx
I finally had a chance to break-in my Red Dot yesterday.

I am so impressed with this engine. By the end of the day, still running rich for break-in, the engine was already screaming!!

I thought I was using 16t and 22t pinions in my RRR to start with. I assumed this becuase I did not care what clutch bell I put on, but noticed the awesome acceleration the engine produced.

Later I realized I had counted the teeth wrong! I had 17t and 23t pinions with out-of-box spurs and still had great acceleration out of the turn!! Great top speed, too! Lots of bottom end grunt!

Our track has a 240ft long backstraight and my engine was delivering a steady increase in speed all the way!! I thought the engine would suffer a bit at heights (close to 1 mile high in my hometown) but gladly dropped that concern!!

I am not sure about this one in particular, but given the height here other Picco engines can easily make more than 6 min on a single fuel tank load! So I have good expectations on this one as well!

I am a happy customer and willing to go back!!

Thanks Sam for your support!!
Hugo,
You are welcome, I am glad you like the JL RED DOT engine, your gearing is just perfect for the 240ft straightaway. ENJOY!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sam or others- Does anyone know the actual factory starting settings for the needles, the instructions I got with the motor were just generic instructions, no settings, my motor is fine, but it would be nice to know the base settings just in case... THANKS!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
Sam or others- Does anyone know the actual factory starting settings for the needles, the instructions I got with the motor were just generic instructions, no settings, my motor is fine, but it would be nice to know the base settings just in case... THANKS!
Factory settings are always based on 16% nitro, if you are using a Higher nitro which we all do, then the so called factory settings will not work for us at all. My suggestion for a starting setting of the HSN is 3 1/2 turns out and for the LSN 2 1/2 turns out based on 30% nitro. hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pelico
Within what temp range does the Red Dot like to run? Does it like a rich bottom end setting?
Sup Kurt. Did you run the JLR at 301?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

No I didn't Gael, but will be testing it out at Floyd over the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RayJ
Plug Mega Cold No7
Tornado Fuel 30%
Standard Head Shimming that came with Engine
Skyline VR-12 Plus Pipe
Car MTX-4
Pinion 18/24
Spurs 59/53
Tires 59fronts/61mm Rears

After break-in and clutch adjustments, I started to lean the motor.
What break-in method did you use and what is your clutch nut set at? Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Neesh
no difference at all? so why all the hype on ceramics on the newer BIG dollar motors?
The ceramics get the motor to spool faster. I think the picco based motor have so much rev already that the ceramics are not an improvement. If any thing it rev too quickly IMO. In the nova based motors I think it is a good feature. The nova based motors are more linear and the ceramic help to rev the motor faster.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi, i beleive the LRP Z12R TEAM SPEC3 has the same power/performance of JL RED DOTs , I would like to know if am I right ?I think same internals execpt the red filled dot on crankshaft, I use the LRP spec 3 so if i am right, with sure the JL Red Dot its a awesome engine too , i saw very good results with Red Dot on USA .
Hey Fabian - have a look at the pics that Jeff 1 posted - the inside of this motor looks exactly the same as the LRP ( i have LRP Spec3 as well) except for the crank.

Kamikaze - how much for a JL red dot crank?

Does anyone have pics of a Murnan JL red dot? - that would be interesting
Old 05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
Kamikaze - how much for a JL red dot crank?
About US$139.00, list price is US$159.95
Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Just to let you guys know that the Skyline VR 12 PLUS are back in stock.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
About US$139.00, list price is US$159.95
it would be better to get the COMPLETE engine!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I broke in my motor today finally at the races. I started off with the needles how they came. It was able to start on these settings. Heres what I ran.

picco p6tc plug
20% nitro / 10% oil
skyline vr12 plus pipe
temps 86F / humidity 40%

First tank It wasnt really able to idle so I just used this to help break it in and just kept blipping throttle to keep it alive.

Next tank , went to cyrul method as I didnt really have time to play around. Did about 3-4 tanks like that. Then 1-2 tanks pretty rich on the track. Afterwards I started leaning for each qualifier.

I left the HSN nice and rich , about 1 turn rich over stock. HSN had to lean it about 3-4 hours. Still was boggy , played with idle a bit and that didnt seem to help any. But either way down the straight the motor was picking up some nice speed on its rich settings.

Im running the mugen mtx-4 as well , 18/24 gearing & stock spurs. I think temps were reaching around 180F and I got 5 laps over the rest of the field with a still very rich acting motor.

Everything is great , started up like no problem. Just installed the motor and clutch in the car , primed it and 1 second later it was on.

The only problem ive seen and im not sure where this is coming from yet. But its dumping out oil live ive never seen. I had pretty much a full paper towels full of oil/fluid on my table after maybe half a tank. I had to keep dumping it. Then when going back to normal settings it still was litterally spraying oil around the carb area. I could see it flying up at the filter , perhaps it was even coming out the filter. But didnt have time to really inspect it and just raced. Otherwise it did well. The other thing was the lsn was so stiff I could barely move it. But that doesnt effect tuning or anything.

Also have a friend with the motor and it seems his is very oily too. His car is so dirty though its hard to tell if it was already there.

All in all , things are going well so far. Im going to be playing with it in a few days , get it fully broken in and ready for next months race. Im going to try to figure out where its leaking from. But im sure as it leans the problem will go away anyhow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.