Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Breaking in motor with a drill? >

Breaking in motor with a drill?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Roelof

Breaking in motor with a drill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default Breaking in motor with a drill?

So I've searched on the web and can't find anything. I've seen a video on FB but that's it. Basically preheat the motor over 200, pull the plug, few drops of good oil in the carb, top of piston, exhaust port then cap. Chuck onto crank and let it rip for a few and plug the carb to create suction. And more oil then repeat. Kill a cordless battery and you're good to hit the track. Sounds logical but like I've said, I can't find any info. Too easy to be true?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I think the loss of heat in the motor, will lead to a premature and incorrect wear of the Piston to Sleeve??? From there the only heat being generated is friction, without consistent lubrication.

I think this is the reason, many of the more diehard guys invested into the Break-in machine, with the heated submerged oil, etc.

- Roelof may have something to add.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

But if you keep the heater on the temp should be consistent
Old 03-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

I would say that you want the engine to actually be running so that it can flush out all the little metal particles instead of them bouncing around in the combustion chamber.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wouldn't do it personally. With a traditional overly rich break in you're getting lubrication to the engine all the time. Without constant lubrication it sounds risky.

Adam Drakes engine break in method on youtube is about as easy as it gets. No need to reinvent the wheel if you ask me.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
- Roelof may have something to add.
Oh?

Well, the methode is old but it is more like a quick and dirty way to get rid of the first hard pinch. If you want to do a good break-in you have to add oil continious and keep the engine on temperature.
Me and my friend have builded a machine where the engine is placed in a temperature controled oil bath and indeed driven by an electric motor.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...h-machine.html

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I only have made one for my self and yet 2 for friends. My friend has started a first batch of 25 and is now busy with a batch of 100 pieces, look on Facebook to "EBIS"

The idea is the same of the drill methode but much better. The result is that afterwards only 2 or 3 tanks on the track is needed to tune the engine to race speed.

Originally Posted by Apco1
Adam Drakes engine break in method on youtube is about as easy as it gets. No need to reinvent the wheel if you ask me.
I am not alowed to tell more but I have heard he is comming with a new video soon
30Tooth and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

this is one of them don't knock it until you try it deals.... I was skeptical at first to say the lease until I seen it done locally on several engines with great results and then did it myself on my last 3 engines with the same awesome results.... no stress on the rod during the initial tight pinch break in, first engine I did has over 11 gallons on it with zero rebuild and is still going strong in my nephews buggy, other engine has over 6 gallons on it and was just moved from my buggy to truggy this past weekend in favor of the new Bullitt B221. And from what I heave been told by some well known engines modders/tuners is this method is used a lot more than people know.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

why would you do this anyway?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

i can tell you who one of the first to do this is
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroJunky721
why would you do this anyway?
No wear on the car, no noise, no smoke, no wasted fuel.. probably other reasons.