Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Is there any new motor designs for the new year?? >

Is there any new motor designs for the new year??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any new motor designs for the new year??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (71%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Reeds cannot control induction anywhere near the RPMs our current engines operate.

lightweight 4 stroke - actually some of the current 4 stroke engines with silencer are pretty close to our current engine with tuned pipes. Looked into it a while back and concluded they were very close.

I have no experience with Nikasil, so nothing to add there. I suspect its not as hard as chrome, or as durable as a result.

I've seen a few of Damon Palm's RC10GT 4 stroke conversions run in person several times and I have to say they are pretty cool. He's got the cams, timing, fuel, plugs and gearing figured out. Think about this: They pit around 20 mins with a stock GT tank

A 4 stroke in a truggy would be an interesting project

There's a few neatly hidden features on that engine that we've tested in our existing platform that works well... very well but not cost effective to incorporate into manufacturing. Would only be able to come to market by way of "modding". And there's only a few engines that have the "meat" to accomidate it.

So there is surely going to be ongoing refinement of the current design, but IMO no magical tune-itself, last 20 gallons, get 20 mins runtime advancements anytime soon.
Awesome feedback!! thanks for that productive post.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Reeds cannot control induction anywhere near the RPMs our current engines operate.

lightweight 4 stroke - actually some of the current 4 stroke engines with silencer are pretty close to our current engine with tuned pipes. Looked into it a while back and concluded they were very close.

I have no experience with Nikasil, so nothing to add there. I suspect its not as hard as chrome, or as durable as a result.

I've seen a few of Damon Palm's RC10GT 4 stroke conversions run in person several times and I have to say they are pretty cool. He's got the cams, timing, fuel, plugs and gearing figured out. Think about this: They pit around 20 mins with a stock GT tank

A 4 stroke in a truggy would be an interesting project

There's a few neatly hidden features on that engine that we've tested in our existing platform that works well... very well but not cost effective to incorporate into manufacturing. Would only be able to come to market by way of "modding". And there's only a few engines that have the "meat" to accomidate it.

So there is surely going to be ongoing refinement of the current design, but IMO no magical tune-itself, last 20 gallons, get 20 mins runtime advancements anytime soon.
It will come tho, one day we probly will have a refined 2 stroke, same basic design with n air-cooled head efi to tune itself so we get a ridiculous amount of time on a tank, atleast with the air-cooled engine u don't rosy breaking off heads with all these new low designed bodies, I talked to drake about the new engine head design on his plus4 n he showed me how the bottom 3 fins over lap the engine so the head can b that much lower because of low bodies, u could see that the engine actually looked more squashed cause all the hiegth had been takin out. I think we need better clutches tho, the Losi is the best, efi needs to b legal so it can b developed, remember that technology has gotten alot better about size, I'm sure right now efi is capable of being developed, it would just take someone who can be focused on getting it done, if imagine the time to have it fully worked out n ready for development could be as short as a fee months, but that's our problem, no one has that kind of time.

4 stroke ur on your own, that ballpark is alot wider played when it comes to cams and alot of extra moving parts, look at mx, it was unreliable 2 strokes evolved to reliable 2 strokes then evolved to fast 2 strokes then the era of 4 strokes came in n over 3-4 years it took over, it to had a same pattern, in came the unreliable 4 strokes n then reliable 4 strokes then fast unreliable 4 strokes n now there at fast reliable 4 strokes. Were only at the process of just getting to 'barely reliable' 2 strokes n 2 years ago it was all unreliable, thank god for novarossi 1 there the best os 2 n werks/ star engines, without them we wouldn't just now be getting these great engines now finally starting to pop up, everything from those 3 engine manufacturers has all been good stuff, quality stuff. Also alot of new engine manufacturers are coming in n making good stuff, so I'm not saying it's just 3 cause I see the new engines that r good iv just never owned one to see how it performs over time. What I'm saying is things have patterns, we arnt ready to go into the next kind of technology cause we havnt got the full potential out of what we have now. 'So. That's all I got to say about that'
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
seemed quite smart ass but all is well
Maybe all is well when someone calls YOU a smart ass. But i guess how comments are looked at just depends on "who" you are in the world of rc tech. But it was a little sarcastic comment...remembered growing up with dirt bikes and idiots telling us " they took out their power bands cause their 125 was to fast " lol. . nothing to be smart azzed towards you...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigAlz
Maybe all is well when someone calls YOU a smart ass. But i guess how comments are looked at just depends on "who" you are in the world of rc tech. But it was a little sarcastic comment...remembered growing up with dirt bikes and idiots telling us " they took out their power bands cause their 125 was to fast " lol. . nothing to be smart azzed towards you...
Drink ur coffee it's early lol
Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

The problem with today's engines is that they are needed to made fast and cheap to get the high production numbers. Look at Novarossi with their step from 14mm to a 14.5mm crankshaft, it is just to keep the strength in the crankshaft when making a big hole through it. Also looking to the wear of the crankpin these shafts aren't that hard as they were in the past.
Commercial choices in opposite of the choices for racing, on the other hand these engines are still top of the line....

http://events.redrc.net/2007/10/in-t...-new-products/
The USE engine on this page is still in devellopment, 2 guys will run it on this years WC Stockcar in Holland and is capable to beat the OPS engins of the world chapions.
From this step an offroad version is not far away.

The onroad version still has some reliabillity problems and is still in devellopment. I can not tell much about the internals but all is made from the idea of real racing engines, it is already 60 gram lighter than a normal Novarossi and has an AAC P/S set with direct cooling.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
It will come tho, one day we probly will have a refined 2 stroke, same basic design with n air-cooled head efi to tune itself so we get a ridiculous amount of time on a tank, atleast with the air-cooled engine u don't rosy breaking off heads with all these new low designed bodies, I talked to drake about the new engine head design on his plus4 n he showed me how the bottom 3 fins over lap the engine so the head can b that much lower because of low bodies, u could see that the engine actually looked more squashed cause all the hiegth had been takin out. I think we need better clutches tho, the Losi is the best, efi needs to b legal so it can b developed, remember that technology has gotten alot better about size, I'm sure right now efi is capable of being developed, it would just take someone who can be focused on getting it done, if imagine the time to have it fully worked out n ready for development could be as short as a fee months, but that's our problem, no one has that kind of time.

4 stroke ur on your own, that ballpark is alot wider played when it comes to cams and alot of extra moving parts, look at mx, it was unreliable 2 strokes evolved to reliable 2 strokes then evolved to fast 2 strokes then the era of 4 strokes came in n over 3-4 years it took over, it to had a same pattern, in came the unreliable 4 strokes n then reliable 4 strokes then fast unreliable 4 strokes n now there at fast reliable 4 strokes. Were only at the process of just getting to 'barely reliable' 2 strokes n 2 years ago it was all unreliable, thank god for novarossi 1 there the best os 2 n werks/ star engines, without them we wouldn't just now be getting these great engines now finally starting to pop up, everything from those 3 engine manufacturers has all been good stuff, quality stuff. Also alot of new engine manufacturers are coming in n making good stuff, so I'm not saying it's just 3 cause I see the new engines that r good iv just never owned one to see how it performs over time. What I'm saying is things have patterns, we arnt ready to go into the next kind of technology cause we havnt got the full potential out of what we have now. 'So. That's all I got to say about that'
A low profile head isnt anything new... Kingz Headz has made them for 5+ years. There was some issues with the cooling efficiency back then, not sure if its been fixed now or not.

Originally Posted by Roelof
The problem with today's engines is that they are needed to made fast and cheap to get the high production numbers. Look at Novarossi with their step from 14mm to a 14.5mm crankshaft, it is just to keep the strength in the crankshaft when making a big hole through it. Also looking to the wear of the crankpin these shafts aren't that hard as they were in the past.
Commercial choices in opposite of the choices for racing, on the other hand these engines are still top of the line....

http://events.redrc.net/2007/10/in-t...-new-products/
The USE engine on this page is still in devellopment, 2 guys will run it on this years WC Stockcar in Holland and is capable to beat the OPS engins of the world chapions.
From this step an offroad version is not far away.

The onroad version still has some reliabillity problems and is still in devellopment. I can not tell much about the internals but all is made from the idea of real racing engines, it is already 60 gram lighter than a normal Novarossi and has an AAC P/S set with direct cooling.
Would an aluminum sleeve be durable enough for the average guy club racing? The Sirio versions were available over here for a short period of time, and rumor had it they didnt last if ran hot for any period of time.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

Would an aluminum sleeve be durable enough for the average guy club racing? The Sirio versions were available over here for a short period of time, and rumor had it they didnt last if ran hot for any period of time.
The direct cooling keeps the temp down below 100 degrees celcius, when the piston has found the right fit it can even run below 80 degrees and in the stockcar we have even seen a 65 degrees. That will keep the strength in the aluminium. Running 46.000+ rpm we run into several limits and we are working on that.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

What if you could raise and lower the jug with shims to change the port timing, and re-adjust the head clearance accordingly.. Then you could adjust the power curve to better suit your driving style or track..
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Or get so lost it would never run right! haha

In our boat engines we machine the under side of the sleeve and use shims to fine tune the timing I still think another point of possible air leak isnt the best solution.

Whats up Ed!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

In our boat engines we machine the under side of the sleeve and use shims to fine tune the timing I still think another point of possible air leak isnt the best solution.

Whats up Ed!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Whats up Ed!
Whats up Tony

You would have to offer "Power Band" packs that would consist of jug shim and head shim. With enough surface area on the mating surfaces I don't think leakage would be a problem.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

I often raise and lower the sleeve for timing adjustments for testing. I feel it's always better to cut the piston top when advancing the timing, killing two birds with one stone by reducing reciprocating weight.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Tony Newland;8423886]
In our boat engines we machine the under side of the sleeve and use shims to fine tune the timing QUOTE]

So this would allow the Land RC racers the same tuning option

I've found that port and runner alignment, sleeve and case seal, and sleeve vibration is a side effect when using a sleeve shim.

Last edited by EBMods; 01-02-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This looks different.
Is there any new motor designs for the new year??-bp-racing-case.jpg
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (71%+)

Thats cool!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.