Wiki Posts
Search

Pipe Coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losi-Runner
Can you post any pics of the pipe after the testing?
We are still testing. I will post results, and pricing when everything is ready to go.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Road Racer, we're think 25 for pipe and header.

Cerakote™ Micro Slick is a (dry) film lubricant that withstands high temperatures and extreme pressures. This coating lubricates, resists wear, and acts as an anti-seize agent while preventing galvanic corrosion. With this unique composition, Micro Slick is virtually unaffected by temperatures ranging between 800-12000 F. Retaining excellent coefficient of friction where most solid (DRY) film lubricants fail, Micro Slick’s formulation prevents surface-to-surface contact, thus reducing friction and wear between mating surfaces. The exceptionally high shear resistance of Micro Slick enables surfaces to operate with extremely low friction.

I did some diff. stuff to check it out.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mike williams
From what i know about ceramic coating, jet-hot coating, powder coating,...ect. All sound great and look awesome, but it will change the exhaust gas flow coeffecient. If it retains heat inside the pipe it will change or if it expells heat faster that it originally was designed. i know (before everyone jumps on me) that most people don't use the pipe that was designed for the perticular motor. If you ceramic coat the pipe on the inside will have a more dramatic affect due the the flow on the inside. exhaust gasses flow smoother and faster when the pipe retains heat and the pipe will feel cooler from the outside. Thats just what i know from full size racing and i believe that it has to translate in the same manner in 1:8 scale racing.
A+ Mike , you are 100% correct about temp & wave speed within the pipe/header being tied together. A header & pipe that holds the gasses' heat (has excess heat) will be less effective at scavanging. A header & pipe with a lower gas temp will have a lower wave speed. All of this effects your header & pipe lengths, & the effectiveness of the exhaust system in scavanging & packing.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Diffs Together With Micro Slick. Feel real smooth.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up 337 Products

All the ceramic coatings in pictures were done by 337 Products!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mo Denton
you hit the nail with that one!!!!!
I for one hate the fact that after 2 race weekends a brand new pipe can look like its 5 years old, I have been running JP pipes just for the reason they look the same run after run. I want to try the nova pipes and I just purchased a 2050 but its depressing to know after 2 weekends its going to look like a 50 dollar pipe. If it was available to get them coated in a way that lasted like the JP's did then I would be all over it.
MO

Last edited by PowerHouse; 05-05-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

this thread is 2 years old!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
this thread is 2 years old!
and... does that make it not relevant?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
Thanks for all the replies! I can see some of you are with me on this, and some just don't get it.. Me saying that looks don't matter, doesn't mean that i don't like my stuff clean. as far as cleaning, i would like to be able to wipe clean, or even give a quick wet sand, i'm not cooking pipes in a crock pot, that's just ridiculous. I'm considering offering a service on my web site, based on a schedule. That way i can do a batch a month. what do you think?

Jason Miller,
Thanks! The pipe in the pics was used before the coating was done.. I'll be testing the pipe this Sunday, and if all goes well, I'll be doing another batch asap. If you are interested shoot me a PM
I am definatly with you, I am curently using hard anodized pipes and they are great. Like the looks of your coated pipe. I am actively involed in drag racing and coatings are a lot more prevalent than polishing for a very good reason. Preformance before looks. I personally do not care for most of the "bling" common on lots of kits but like you also keep my stuff very clean. Might be interrested in the pipe coating when you get it going.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Lord

and... does that make it not relevant?
It's only irrelevant when you scrapped the whole thing and never provided any feedback or when to have the service done. Something got Lost in the translation Joe. It seems like a great idea and would be a valuable service but it's obvious that you decided against it for some reason. I'm kinda excited to get this done to some of my pipes when Mark starts offering it.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

It's only irrelevant when you scrapped the whole thing and never provided any feedback or when to have the service done. Something got Lost in the translation Joe. It seems like a great idea and would be a valuable service but it's obvious that you decided against it for some reason. I'm kinda excited to get this done to some of my pipes when Mark starts offering it.
the picture and feedback from racers is relevant... If i posted a comment like yours every time i seen something on rct that wasn't relevant id be posting 24/7/365.
I never decide to do it cause i didnt see a great enough demand to make any real money. Not to mention if i was going to offer a service like this it would be for HC Ano, not ceramic. The results ive had with HC Ano are much better IMO.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Lord

Yea I must be missing something. The only feedback I see is people showing interest. I was looking and waiting for some test results and longevity and stuff, but I saw your post on Mark's thread. Don't take it as an attack Joe and get all defensive, as I said before I think this could be a good thing but of course only if it's worth it and it works. Since you have dabbled with it and then let it go 2 years ago I just assumed your findings were less than favorable but I would have liked to here about them regardless. Peace bro
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

the picture and feedback from racers is relevant... If i posted a comment like yours every time i seen something on rct that wasn't relevant id be posting 24/7/365.
I never decide to do it cause i didnt see a great enough demand to make any real money. Not to mention if i was going to offer a service like this it would be for HC Ano, not ceramic. The results ive had with HC Ano are much better IMO.
exactly the same reason i dont get it done , had it priced out and ready to go but just couldnt see charging the extra price for the hardcoated anodization , who wants to break the 100$ mark on a pipe
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Yea I must be missing something. The only feedback I see is people showing interest. I was looking and waiting for some test results and longevity and stuff, but I saw your post on Mark's thread. Don't take it as an attack Joe and get all defensive, as I said before I think this could be a good thing but of course only if it's worth it and it works. Since you have dabbled with it and then let it go 2 years ago I just assumed your findings were less than favorable but I would have liked to here about them regardless. Peace bro
i just dont see the point in your first post. ppl showing interests is what marks looking for, pics, and i did mention the pipe ran good.

Originally Posted by houston
exactly the same reason i dont get it done , had it priced out and ready to go but just couldnt see charging the extra price for the hardcoated anodization , who wants to break the 100$ mark on a pipe
Its just too much work for little money unless you do it yourself.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There's more than just the "Bling" factor to having a ceramic coated pipe.
I've had ceramic coated headers on my motorcycles (Buell) to try and reduce some of the radiant heat cooking my right leg.

Ceramic coating the tuned pipe in our race cars will reduce the heat transfer to the fuel in the tank. I think we all know the benifets of cooler fuel.

My fuel tank in my RC8B is wrapped in a aluminum-fiberglass tape to try and prevent as much heat as possable from reaching my fuell while on the track. After just a few track days, the tape is seperating from the adheasive and looks bad.

I'm actually surprised the ceramic coated exhaust hasn't already taken off in our hobby.

As I've read above, 25-35 dollers is a very fare price to pay for this process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.