Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heh

Originally Posted by racer034life
Cause I wont have the time. But I could if I had the time and the other parts to build a car. I.e a nitro engine and much up parts. But I have some chassis out there I would like to turn into a pan car. I.e a old 2wd serpent if anyone has one.
I think you'd be hard pressed to pry an old 2wd serpent away from anyone that has one. On the flip side, there are lots of old serpent 4wd's that you could convert easily enough, I have an old serpent excel myself that I considered converting over in the beginning but didn't. If you prefer belt drive, I'd think almost any model would be a good donor in that respect, since they're all pretty much the same anyways.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Convert a 4wd to pan?

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I think you'd be hard pressed to pry an old 2wd serpent away from anyone that has one. On the flip side, there are lots of old serpent 4wd's that you could convert easily enough, I have an old serpent excel myself that I considered converting over in the beginning but didn't. If you prefer belt drive, I'd think almost any model would be a good donor in that respect, since they're all pretty much the same anyways.
What about a diff? 4wd cars generally do not have a diff. If you don't need one it's a piece of cake to convert. Did Rick end up putting a diff in his 966 conversion?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Default Vintage Bodies

Originally Posted by dvondrakcz
Nice Lotus. Its a pitty, that you are alone. You can fly overseas to compete with us :-) Sure wish I could!!
One of the reason why we start our vintage category is passion to old and realistic bodies and effort to made scratchbuild cars. Exactly! A few of us had the same idea but then the GFG's won out!Of course with open wheel or touring car bodies you will be a slower, compare with LeMans type bodies. For example my McLaren M20 has a very good downforce. We often use a deltaplastic bodies Porsche 956, 962, McLaren M20 etc.

I'm working on the M20 to be a Dan Gurney 48 M8D, and I have a Parma Lola T-333 Single seat CanAm to do. Also a Zakspeed Capri!

For this reason I plan for next year two categories as were driven in our country in the past.
RC V1 - Formel type bodies (I looking forward to RC scale competition between Tyrel, Lotus 72, McLaren, Surtess and others :-) )
RC V2 - LeMans, DTM, CanAM etc. type bodies Great ideas! When our club raced for fun, back in the day, we ran Open-wheel for 1/2 of the season, then GT for a the other half. CanAm ran all year.

Who wants to be very very fast, must move to 4WD (In czech Rep only to Czech Nationals) with unrealistic Lola :-) I totally agree, the current bodies are an embarrassment! I started in this hobby in 1971 and many of the early leaders and manufacturers had been running slot cars. They warranted many times on loosing the scale looks of the cars and running the "doorstop" bodies common in slot!! Unfortunately the pan class is still in it's infancy here and the only way to help it grow is to go with the flow. Maybe someday others will see the light!! please apologize my CZEnglish, i hope, that you catch my drift :-)
I get your drift perfectly! Sure wish I could race with your group!!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the type of F1's we ran "back in the day"! The bodies were fiberglass, made by a club founder, Dick Zimmerman.

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-rz2.png

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-rz3.png

Ned
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heh

Originally Posted by aarcobra
What about a diff? 4wd cars generally do not have a diff. If you don't need one it's a piece of cake to convert. Did Rick end up putting a diff in his 966 conversion?
He did, and he's probably running it faster than I am my 4wd. A lot of the older serpents have a diff, my excel has one, and that diff is still commercially available as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I get your drift perfectly! Sure wish I could race with your group!!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the type of F1's we ran "back in the day"! The bodies were fiberglass, made by a club founder, Dick Zimmerman.

Ned

We ran a variety of Formula bodies made of lexan. The Tecno, The AJ Foyt Coyote and The Ferrari 312 are three that Associated made. We were running the radio box at the time instead of a radio tray. It was black, approx 6x3 inches and had an aluminum base. All we needed to do was cut a slotted hole for the linkage to the brake/carb and from the front to the servo saver.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

...yes..he converted a Serpent sedan diff...and of course had to use magnesium on it just to show us machining retards up.....and he had a Magnesium fire...
Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ScottE1776
We ran a variety of Formula bodies made of lexan. The Tecno, The AJ Foyt Coyote and The Ferrari 312 are three that Associated made. We were running the radio box at the time instead of a radio tray. It was black, approx 6x3 inches and had an aluminum base. All we needed to do was cut a slotted hole for the linkage to the brake/carb and from the front to the servo saver.
Yeah, we did that too. The fiberglass bodies were made before the lexan bodies were available. Dick is a scale nut and scratch built the body and the chassis to fit. I made a Tyrell P34 six wheeler in the same mode.

Indy had a annual oval race to start of the season that was a blast with open wheel bodies.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
And I disagree that an open wheel body is slower, I think it may be faster, but probably a bad idea for the cars with "floppy" front ends as there isn't enough body to absorb the impact.
yes, i agreee with you. I come from my own experience. I used same car at the same track formel body and McLaren M20 body. With M20 body I can drove smoothly, more cleanly. Mainly in entering to long corners. In 5 minutes qualification I did one lap more than with formel body.

But I think that is not a point.

My opinion is, that under flat pan car body (for example McLaren M20) you can "cover" or "hide" an excellent, sofisticated chassis with independent suspension, with shocks, upper radio tray, exhaust and manifold, servo saver with bearings etc. and car will be looks like original.

But under Formel body, which respect body from ´70 years, like Ned posted, it is little bit difficult. Body is narrower and lower.
I tried to make McLaren M23 (Gilles Villeneuve from Silverstone 1977) body to my chassis (photo is below) but I stopped this because at the end its not looks like McLaren M23 :-) For this bodies are more suitable simple chassis with solid axles like SG Futura or similar.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-newp5133410.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

I have been in contact with DFX and mantua model's. They both are willing to important there chassis to the states. But the cost maybe the killer as the new DFX chassis is around $625.00 and the same with the mantua Mc2 as will. But chassis price isn't the issue. Its the fact that where is the savings going to come in. Either a spec fuel, engine and tire or something scale racing and bodies all sound nice but at this rate I'll just stick with with TC and WGT..
Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been in contact with DFX and mantua model's. They both are willing to important there chassis to the states. But the cost maybe the killer as the new DFX chassis is around $625.00 and the same with the mantua Mc2 as will. But chassis price isn't the issue. Its the fact that where is the savings going to come in. Either a spec fuel, engine and tire or something scale racing and bodies all sound nice but at this rate I'll just stick with with TC and WGT..
please wait !!! i bet you can get a wrc or motonica way cheaper. savings ? i ran a midwest weekend + 2 club dates on same tires and you can use the worn rears from the 4wd dudes. we will also by the sounds of it be putting in place a 3 port motor rule. so please come out for a visit.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

If you knew anything about 1/8th or 1/10th nitro 4wd, you'd under stand. You don't understand how the 2wd gets 7 maybe 10 minutes on the same 125 cc of fuel that the 4wd is fighting to get 5. 2wd races hard with a $150 motor compared to $500 plus for 4wd. 2wd fronts last about 4 to 5 race weekends while using up old 4wd rears for free, 4wd will us at least 1 set of front and rears in their main.

You need to get out more!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar

If you knew anything about 1/8th or 1/10th nitro 4wd, you'd under stand. You don't understand how the 2wd gets 7 maybe 10 minutes on the same 125 cc of fuel that the 4wd is fighting to get 5. 2wd races hard with a $150 motor compared to $500 plus for 4wd. 2wd fronts last about 4 to 5 race weekends while using up old 4wd rears for free, 4wd will us at least 1 set of front and rears in their main.

You need to get out more!
I got put in with the GT cars this past Sunday at Port Jervis with my WRC in a 10 minute A main. I never came in for fuel, and had at least 2 -3 minutes left at the end. Admitedly, this isn't on as swoopy a track as Toledo, but the 4wd guys still struggle here to make 5 minutes. This thing is almost solar powered...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Feel free to take a look at our new pan car racing website. We have worked very hard to bring pan cars and parts to the U.S. at a very reasonable price and are adding more products all the time for pan car racers. Earlier this month we added Novarossi, Xceed, and Gravity Racing products, and will soon carry Hudy tools, KO Radios, and specialty parts and accessories from GMK Supply:

www.irwinrc.com

Thanks

Last edited by MrHistory; 09-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

....spec fuel??....all nitro is expensive.....you can buy fuel with the club for cheap(er)...18.00 gal ....spec engines sound good???.....um no....spec anything never works....who's gonna tear em down and look for 3 ports at a club race......not me...busy enough with my own stuff....not to mention someone could just send a "spec" motor to Uriah........like Lon said...fronts last forever...4WD guys give you used rears for free....it doesn't get any cheaper than that....maybe some 4WD guy will pay you to take his tires............scale racing??....we tried to go there...we ordered bodies from across the pond.....MORE expensive...but cool.......pan cars are cheap any way you slice it.....even next to motor/speedo of the week electric racing.......
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

I just don't see it but I'll come out to the last race in Dayton, Ohio! But my experience with nitro is from 700 series helicopters! But I'll come check out the cars and the tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.