Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aaron Congrats on your win!!
Look forward to seeing you in Hamilton Ontario for the RC PRO race
Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Bill, the car was awesome in the main.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arno
I use these and they work great with no frustration

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Thanks Arno.

Also, I had a rash of ball links popping off of the servo saver this weekend. I replaced the links, but they still seemed to pop ( and not from an impact). It doesn't appear anything is binding.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default Kyosho Evolva

I had the same problem with the ball links popping of the servo saver.
After changing the ball links and the problem still there, I finally changed everthing from the servo saver,down to the front knuckles. Probably did not have to change everything, but just got tired of the ball links popping off for no apparent reason.
I just thought while I had it apart, might as well change it all.
So far, so good.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

I take a cap screw and cut the screw down so they are very short, probably only 1.5 mm of threads, and screw them into the balls on the servo saver side only. The head of the cap screw captures the ball end, since then I haven't popped one off. And yes, prior to that it happened all the time.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well damn.....for us guys with non WCE 05 cars....where are we going to find these rear blocks? If someone knows of a shop that has them....please post here. Anyone that works at Kyosho America and reads this thread.....there might be a demand for these blocks....please get some in stock!!!

Last edited by SRAD; 05-08-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aaron_buran
I take a cap screw and cut the screw down so they are very short, probably only 1.5 mm of threads, and screw them into the balls on the servo saver side only. The head of the cap screw captures the ball end, since then I haven't popped one off. And yes, prior to that it happened all the time.
After watching Aaron's car in the main Sunday I would do whatever he says!!!

But, what I did was use long screws and put washers on the bottom of each one and captured them with nuts. I had to grind a flat on the side where they come close together, so far it eliminated the problem.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ted Flack
After watching Aaron's car in the main Sunday I would do whatever he says!!!

But, what I did was use long screws and put washers on the bottom of each one and captured them with nuts. I had to grind a flat on the side where they come close together, so far it eliminated the problem.
Thanks Guys.

I'll try that!

-Steve
Old 05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Talking Steel servo saver post?

Does anyone know why the servo saver post is now steel?
No big deal, just wondering thats all.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

I think they did that because with the old radio tray you could bend them (i have seen one get tweaked on my car), and with the new more flexible radio tray the likely hood of bending the aluminum is much greater.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRAD
Well damn.....for us guys with non WCE 05 cars....where are we going to find these rear blocks? If someone knows of a shop that has them....please post here. Anyone that works at Kyosho America and reads this thread.....there might be a demand for these blocks....please get some in stock!!!
yes- there seems to be a shortage of 7mm/3.5 blocks. The supply chain will catch up I'm sure. Luckily I found a set

Aaron or anyone else..... I just switched to the Evolva and have a few good used clutches from some buyouts I made. Not knowing exactly what clutch springs are in these clutches, how do I find out?? Measuring diameter/ number of coils??

Two look grey-ish and the other brown/red-ish. Is there a way to know by checking coil diameter, # of coils or on a spring machine?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bsmooth
Thanks Guys.

I'll try that!

-Steve
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brc358
I had the same problem with the ball links popping of the servo saver.
After changing the ball links and the problem still there, I finally changed everthing from the servo saver,down to the front knuckles. Probably did not have to change everything, but just got tired of the ball links popping off for no apparent reason.
I just thought while I had it apart, might as well change it all.
So far, so good.
I hate to say this...... I swapped all the balls to Mugen style stuff on my car already as I was assembling it. I noticed the fit of the balls was not optimal and I had some spares left from the Mugen I just sold.

I swapped everything except the rear shock lower balls. The steering linkage was the most fun. On the servo side I had to dremel a touch of clearance on the servo mount right at the center of the servo's throw and everything clears perfect.

It would probably cost about $20 for all the Mugen balls and ball ends to make the swap, but I feel it is much less likely that a ball will pop off now...... especially the front shocks and steering linkage.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
I've only seen one 7-0 that Dana Smeltzer got by mistake
I am pretty sure those are from the Fantom 2001 kit.

Originally Posted by cdelong
I hate to say this...... I swapped all the balls to Mugen style stuff on my car already as I was assembling it. I noticed the fit of the balls was not optimal and I had some spares left from the Mugen I just sold.

I swapped everything except the rear shock lower balls. The steering linkage was the most fun. On the servo side I had to dremel a touch of clearance on the servo mount right at the center of the servo's throw and everything clears perfect.
I did exactly all of this before my car ever hit the track in 2003. Steering is smooth and reliable. One thing you want to watch is bump steer change. The equator of the Mugen balls is roughly .5mm taller than their Kyosho counterparts. Once it was all assembled, I checked it and the bump was so minimal I left it and have been happy ever since. Just be aware that it _does_ change about 1mm total.

One of the biggest "must do" upgrades was to the lower shock balls. Getting rid of the ball and cup style increased reliability a ton and it seems smoother to me. Again, you may want to put a .8mm shim behind the Mugen balls to achieve the proper vertical shock angle, maybe not. I used to run them and then one day I lost 'em and the car worked fine without. Have been running without ever since.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fraz
I am pretty sure those are from the Fantom 2001 kit.
Hi John,

I have a few of the 7-0's as well. Never used them. I believe they were in the early kits - but, I may have ordered them from Great Planes, after looking at the Japanese part numbers. Before Kyosho America. Hard to remember. Too many Capt'n n cokes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.