Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Rear traction

Originally posted by crashed_1
Guys, need help.

I've recently changed to a front ball diff. The car now has good steering and all. What's really bothering me is the rear traction of the car. It has NO problems going into turn nor mid corner but EXITING corners the rear just breaks traction. I've done what the "bible" has asked to do accordingly, but it still happens. I can't run a shore softer than 40 coz any softer and the rims would be showing after 3 tanks.(abrasive track).

I tried a stiffer front diff and looser rear but it still happens. Tried 45º front sway bar setting and it only causes me to lose steering but the rear still breaks traction.
Do the following order 1step @time
1. Add more downstop (reduce chassis uptravel) at front.
2. Add outside rear tire camber (more negative).
3. Place all caster spacer in front and lock (100%) your rear diff.
4. Use 1 step higher rear damper and spring. (during testing, I only make the damper more in vertical position)
5. If nothing helps, change the rear roll center. Set it up on your hudy (spooring), which one will make more camber change when your car leans.

I'm also very upset with the quality of the spurs. I'm using 16/22 and 60/56. 2 sets of spurs stripped in 2 heats. Final heats decided to change the pinion back to 17(which is stock) and the problems were gone. It also happened to a fellow 710 driver.
Welcome to the metric pitch stripping spur.....
Old 02-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Will do. It's really bothering me. The rear traction thingy. Never had these problems on a one way...but driving a one way for me is close to impossible...
What happens with a one way on power is that the front turns into a solid axle. That transfers the traction to the rear. Front gets lower traction.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Rear traction

Originally posted by GoldFinger
3. Place all caster spacer in front and lock (100%) your rear diff.
Perhaps I'm wrong but wouldn't this make driving very difficult on a low traction track due to a lot of on power oversteer? I think it would be more difficult for crashed_1 to control the rear of the car powering out of the corner with the above setting.

Yes, not to mention higher tire wear in the rear when you run harder rear diff setting...
Old 02-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Originally posted by InitialD
Perhaps I'm wrong but wouldn't this make driving very difficult on a low traction track due to a lot of on power oversteer? I think it would be more difficult for crashed_1 to control the rear of the car powering out of the corner with the above setting.

Yes, not to mention higher tire wear in the rear when you run harder rear diff setting...
Since the tire wear is mentioned very high, I assume the surface is very rough. And with that condition, the traction is mostly high, I guess.. is it crashed ???

D, I guess his problem is the rear ends is roll to far. But everything could be vice versa.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Since the tire wear is mentioned very high, I assume the surface is very rough. And with that condition, the traction is mostly high, I guess.. is it crashed ???
Surface is pretty rough. Due to it being high speed, tire wear is high. Most use 37 to 40 shore for reasonable traction.

D, I guess his problem is the rear ends is roll to far. But everything could be vice versa.
Yeah, agreed.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone using nitro shoes on their 710's? If so which ones do you perfer......shore....0 or +2 offset.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Pit-racer
Anyone using nitro shoes on their 710's? If so which ones do you perfer......shore....0 or +2 offset.
I have a set of 40 shore front and rears (0 offset). Not used yet. Probably will put it to use this weekend.

I'll have to do some mod to the rims where the Serpent flanged wheel nut can go in nicely.

Anyway, from what I understand, the offset wheels will only make the rear trackwidth wider. More stable rear I guess with the +2 offset wheels on the 710.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
I have a set of 40 shore front and rears (0 offset). Not used yet. Probably will put it to use this weekend.

I'll have to do some mod to the rims where the Serpent flanged wheel nut can go in nicely.

Anyway, from what I understand, the offset wheels will only make the rear trackwidth wider. More stable rear I guess with the +2 offset wheels on the 710.
isnt that going to make the car too wide and wont be roar legal?
Old 02-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
isnt that going to make the car too wide and wont be roar legal?
Precisely. But with the 710, you can readjust the rear trackwidth to fit it back to less than or the same as 200 mm.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm going to run a front diff on my car. I run a small tight track with a smooth paved surface that is fairly clean. Do you guys recommend running the stock Serpent setup?? Or something different?
Old 02-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation Re: Practice bumper

Originally posted by clmbia45
Or what I learned at the Winter Nats:

(Edit: I want to correct any mis-perception- I didn't SEE this bumper at the Winter Nats- I LEARNED that I needed it there.)
SEE PAGE 159

I tested out the bumper today. Had several side brushes with the wall, and no damage. One quartering right front impact bent the bumper down, but no other damage. Had a severe mental glitch, caught the right front tire on the inside of the turn, full power, broke the wheel, pulled the pivot balls out (both bent) and broke the steering block, but other than being bent, the bumper was not damaged, nor was the body mount plate (the upper bumper plate). I noticed no adverse handling effects, and it clearly reduces front end damage. Unfortunately, it is not ROAR legal.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Hey "D", where do you find the "Reference Giude" on MYTSN website? I can't find it there?? Your link worked for me the first time you posted it for me but now I can't get it to work?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
I'm going to run a front diff on my car. I run a small tight track with a smooth paved surface that is fairly clean. Do you guys recommend running the stock Serpent setup?? Or something different?
I have not run a front diff yet on the 710. I am currently running with a front solid axle setup. But this is what I arrived at and I was pretty happy with it on a large and a small track as well;

Suspension geometry Front:
Downstops: 1mm
Set-up ride height: 6mm (Actual ride height !)
Camber Left: -2.0 degree
Camber Right: -2.0 degree
Track-width: 199mm
Toe-in: -1.0 degree (Toe-out)
Caster setting (mm in front): 1mm
Roll-center position upper arm (mm): 4mm under
Upstop (mm): None

Suspension geometry Rear:
Downstops: 8mm
Set-up ride height: 7mm (Actual ride height !)
Camber Left: -3.5 degree
Camber Right: -3.0 degree
Toe-in: +2.0 degree
Track-width: 197mm
Roll-center position upper: outer (UBO)
Roll-center position lower: low (LB)
DRS arm position (low-mid-up): Up

Shockabsorbers Front:
Springs: yellow
Oil: 30W
Holes: 5
Cilinder type: composite
Shock-tower position: 3rd hole

Shockabsorbers Rear:
Springs: yellow
Oil: 30W
Holes: 4
Cilinder type: composite
Shock-tower position: 1st hole
Lower shock position: outside

Anti-roll bar front:
Thickness: -
Position: No Anti Roll Bar installed

Anti-roll bar rear:
Thickness: standard
Position: 3 mm from the end of bar
Position on lower arm: outside

Tires Front:
Make: Ellegi 6 spoke (Serpent)
Hardness Left: 35 shore
Hardness Right: 35 shore
Diameter: 64mm
Wear in 5 min. Left:
Wear in 5 min. Right:

Tires Rear:
Make: SpeedMind Dishwheels
Hardness Left: 37 shore
Hardness Right: 37 shore
Diameter: 64mm
Wear in 5 min. Left:
Wear in 5 min. Right:

Transmission:
Pinion 1st: 16T
Pinion 2nd: 21T
Gear 1st: 61T
Gear 2nd: 57T

Front axle:
Type: Locked to solid axle
Diff. setting: Locked to solid axle

Rear axle:
Type: adjustable diff
Diff. setting: light (when hot)

Aerodynamics:
Body: Protoform Stratus 2.1
Wing: Standard
Gurney strip: -

Engine and pipe:
Engine: NovaMax 5 port
Version: P5
Head shims: 0.4mm
Glowplug: 6TF
Pipe: Team Magic (7 mm inline)
Header: Thunder Tiger (long manifold)
Length: Approx 108 mm
Fuel: 25% Tornado

I used 37 shore front and 40 shore rear and the car behaved about the same too.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Hey "D", where do you find the "Reference Giude" on MYTSN website? I can't find it there?? Your link worked for me the first time you posted it for me but now I can't get it to work?
Make sure you're registered and logged in on mytsn. Got to the products page and click on Gas Cars on the top. Then click on Serpent 710 4WD.

http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=3293

Click on the Downloads section. You will see 9 files for download. One of them is the Reference Guide (887 kb).
Old 02-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

How come you run such a tight track width "D"? Also why do you have 1/2 a degree difference in camber on the rear and not the front? One thing I see on alot of setups posted by pros is that they will run 1/2 degree more or less on one side of the car? Why is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.