Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Picard
S&S

Thanks for the reply, i will try the locked front oneway, as well as the normal oneway, there are only 2 points on the track where I require brakes so the locked oneway will probably benifit me i hope
Before locked your 1way, try to lower the front tire shore 1 step down from the rear and slam your car on to that hairpin without braking.
Just make sure at which point you should let the throttle off.
Then compare your laptimes after using solid fr axle.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
Whose wifey? Like somebody mentioned, as long as wifey does not see more than 2 or 3 engines at one time, then you're pretty safe !
I panick sometimes though - out it blurts and suddenly I'm in big trouble!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Picard, if there are reasonably sharp hairpins after long straights and almost none or little fast sweepers, the solid front axle is nice. If there are high speed sweeper, I find that the front solid axle drags the speed of the car and makes it slower and unstable. My 2 cents.

For small technical tracks where you need to slow down and turn in, the solid front would be excellent.
Hi ID

Thanks for your opinion as I am new at this Unfortunately my track is a bit of both, fast sweepers and tight hairpins. 2 sweepers and 2 hairpins which require braking. Looks like I will have to test and come to a compromise, should be getting the kit tomorrow, any problems or anything I should know about when building the kit or is everything straight forward
Thanks for your help
Old 02-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by GoldFinger
Before locked your 1way, try to lower the front tire shore 1 step down from the rear and slam your car on to that hairpin without braking.
Just make sure at which point you should let the throttle off.
Then compare your laptimes after using solid fr axle.
Ok GF i will give it a go thanks
Old 02-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Hi ID

Thanks for your opinion as I am new at this Unfortunately my track is a bit of both, fast sweepers and tight hairpins. 2 sweepers and 2 hairpins which require braking. Looks like I will have to test and come to a compromise, should be getting the kit tomorrow, any problems or anything I should know about when building the kit or is everything straight forward
Thanks for your help
Sounds similar to my track - really is a toss up between the one-way and the solid. I went for the solid and will remain there until my driving improves - the one-way was too much at first, due to the breaking areas.
I've been using a one-way on a carpet track with my EVO III and I really like it now, so maybe once I can get back onto the outdoor track I will try the one-way once more.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by markp27
Sounds similar to my track - really is a toss up between the one-way and the solid. I went for the solid and will remain there until my driving improves - the one-way was too much at first, due to the breaking areas.
I've been using a one-way on a carpet track with my EVO III and I really like it now, so maybe once I can get back onto the outdoor track I will try the one-way once more.
Hi MarK
I have been driving with a oneway at my track for 4 months now and dont have any problems, i feel very confident with a oneway but that was on an R12, so I am not to sure how the serpent will react with one. I have never tried a solid front and was curious about it and didn't know what the difference was between the 2. No-one from my knowlage had used a front solid at my track before so I will be the first
Old 02-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Hi MarK
I have been driving with a oneway at my track for 4 months now and dont have any problems, i feel very confident with a oneway but that was on an R12, so I am not to sure how the serpent will react with one. I have never tried a solid front and was curious about it and didn't know what the difference was between the 2. No-one from my knowlage had used a front solid at my track before so I will be the first
It is great fun to drive a solid, as the breaking is unbelievable! You can therefore drive very aggresively, which most probaby won't translate to a good lap time. One the other hand the one-way promotes smooth consistant driving, which is rewarded by quicker lap times.

The 710 won't give you any problems with a one-way if you have already gotten use to one with another car.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Tech Prophet

No-one from my knowlage had used a front solid at my track before so I will be the first
As far as I know, only Serpent has the optional solid axle in the front.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Tech Prophet

... Did I missed something here ?
See what I got myself into now?

In case anybody is asking, no, I don't have one. Would be nice to get hold of one though.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Prophet

I notice that on my local track which requires a fair bit of braking, I feel that I'm faster on the one way.

Anyway, what does using softer front tires do? More steering? Wouldn't that make the rear unstable?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
I panick sometimes though - out it blurts and suddenly I'm in big trouble!
The wifey issue is a sensitive one... Don't ya know?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Looks like I will have to test and come to a compromise,
Well, for me I thought having lots of brakes was better but on the fast track, braking just means that you go slower. With the one way, you can really push in the fast sweepers. The car carries more speed.

Yes it's true like what Mark mentioned that you get more consistant lap times if you're on full time 4WD brakes but there is where we need to strive for perfection !

Anyway, welcome to the fold and enjoy building your 710 kit !
Old 02-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Well, for me I thought having lots of brakes was better but on the fast track, braking just means that you go slower. With the one way, you can really push in the fast sweepers. The car carries more speed.

Yes it's true like what Mark mentioned that you get more consistant lap times if you're on full time 4WD brakes but there is where we need to strive for perfection !

Anyway, welcome to the fold and enjoy building your 710 kit !
Also I found that with the solid front axel my 705 was quite tricky to tease out of a corner - it became very tail happy and would understeer more under power. With the one-way it is a dream coming out of a corner.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by cyba888
When you say link, do you mean the rod with the ball cup or adjust it where it attaches to the sway bar(farther in)?
The rod length.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Was at the race a week ago and most drivers that I saw did not or barely use brakes. Maybe it has to do with the track that we run on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.