Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Look guys what happend to my friends engine after a good 1 hour of racing on Serpent Challenge in Kirchberg Austria.
He used only one plug so the plug couldn't do that.
What do you think happend here ?

Here is the link to the pictures.

Last edited by lagnaf; 04-07-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by lagnaf
Look guys what happend to my friends engine after a good 1 hour of racing on Serpent Challenge in Kirchberg Austria.

Here is the link to pictures.
Nothing is looking too healthy in there!! Look like it was run too lean and had overheated. The glow plug looks blown, the coil is all out of shape from what I can see - this would have been caused by overheating

Mark.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:32 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
Well, now I have 1st and 2nd pinion sets stuck together with their bearings respectively. Easier I think. But I've always used the crude and lazy way if I wanted to take the bearing out. Use a hammer to tap the bearing out slowly.
A HAMMER! That's pretty bold. You, of all people, I would have thought would take the gears apart to remove the bearing. I adjust my clutch fairly often which would require removal of the bearings. Oops, I forgot who I was talking to... you use the force to adjust your clutch don't you.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:35 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally posted by Darth Vader
Guys,

I recently got the 20t pinion. Tried installing it last night and found out that I don't have a proper tool for this pinion. The pinion wrenches that come with the kit only goes down to 21t.

So, my question is, how do you guys remove/install odd sized pinions likt the 20t one?

Any idea if serpent makes a 15t pinion?

Cheers...
There is a tool made for holding pinions. It looks like a plastic nut cracker with grooves in it that hold the teeth. It's pretty cheesey but effective.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 AM
jag
Tech Master

If it's not the glow plug, is he using a fuel filter? Maybe something got into the engine thru the carb.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:03 AM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by jag
There is a tool made for holding pinions. It looks like a plastic nut cracker with grooves in it that hold the teeth. It's pretty cheesey but effective.
What you need is actually two tools to do it right. the pinion tools are included in the kit but than you also need 802514 Serpent Centax-3 Clutch Housing Tool
Old 04-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by B4
What you need is actually two tools to do it right. the pinion tools are included in the kit but than you also need 802514 Serpent Centax-3 Clutch Housing Tool
the only problem is I have not found a way to get this tool to work with the lightweight bell housing.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

I tend to agree with Mark. The turbo button head even looked "boiled"!

It was really too hot in there!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by jag
If it's not the glow plug, is he using a fuel filter? Maybe something got into the engine thru the carb.
No his not!

I think he will become a new engine from the dealer

Last edited by lagnaf; 04-07-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
the only problem is I have not found a way to get this tool to work with the lightweight bell housing.
Sow...why is that? I've used this tool with the lightweight bell with no problem.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jag
A HAMMER! That's pretty bold. You, of all people, I would have thought would take the gears apart to remove the bearing. I adjust my clutch fairly often which would require removal of the bearings. Oops, I forgot who I was talking to... you use the force to adjust your clutch don't you.

Yes, I try to use the force from time to time.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by B4
Well, you're talking about the new 20T 2nd gear pinion here... When Serpent came out with those pinion holders, they were for 21T, 22T and 23T. The 20T was not even out yet.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Have you lost your telescope Onkel Sow? What's about the tool not working with the lightened clutch bell? Works fine for all of us.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by InitialD
Have you lost your telescope Onkel Sow? What's about the tool not working with the lightened clutch bell? Works fine for all of us.
Oh...that's it. He's missing his reading glasses.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Darth Vader
Haha... back to the old trusty towel and plier method.
Ok, I just got to installing the 20T pinion just now and this is what I found out...

Firstly, I mounted the 1st gear pinion with the 5x10x4 bearing. Then screwed the 1st gear pinion to the 20T 2nd gear pinion by hand as tight as I could.

Then I screwed the 1st and 2nd gear pinion assembly by screwing the 2nd gear pinion onto the lightened clutchbell. Used my 802514 Serpent Centax-3 Clutch Housing Tool to hold the lightened clutchbell and then used my 1st gear pinion holder to tightened the pinion assembly onto the lightened clutchbell.

When you do this, the 2nd geat 20T pinion automatically gets tightened as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.