Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Rc10ntc3

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

The clutch will slip a little.... you have to get on the gas and not be testing these things when you are going slow.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Game-

That is not the engine that I gave to Chuck is it?

If so that thing is fast!!!

Have fun at Frederick.... I hope to make it to Browns this weekend.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by NitroRacer
The clutch will slip a little.... you have to get on the gas and not be testing these things when you are going slow.
that kind of sucks, the hpi clutch NEVER slipped, nor any other clutch i used, this is a "first time " experience, any one ever used the centax clutch, what is that like compared to the stock clutch shoes
Old 07-18-2002, 08:04 AM
Tee
Tech Apprentice

RCKID, it may be your two speed shoes off center in the two speed clutch bell. Push your car by hand backwards with the motor off so you can hear things better. If you hear your sssshhhhhsssss, then that may be the problem.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Frequently we say that the NTC3 doesn't need hop ups, but in my opinion there are some weak points that possibly were not tested thoroughly. This the list I have come up so far, and also the reasons why the car does need them, maybe we can come up with a list of really needed parts that AE can address to or any other aftermarket rc company.

1. The already known gas tank. The design has to be changed, the fuel outlet should be placed more in the front (too close to the exhaust) and the fuel pick up should be deeper, maybe get rid of the stone filter, and maybe bigger baffles. Of course change the pressure inlet to the lid.

2. The clutch, it seems to overheat, maybe a centax (which is coming to the market soon) or a better three shoe design.

3. The diff gear cases, or for that matter the way the shock towers are anchored to the diff cases. The whole weight of the car is hanging by only 6 4-40 screws, screwed in the plastic gear cases, I am sure more than one of you have stripped the holes where the shock towers bolt to the gear cases. The problem is that the weight is supported by 6 4-40 bolts bolted in parallel with the wieght of the car, if at least they were bolted perpendicular to the weight of the car (as most of the rc cars do) it would be more resistant, but I don't see how to do it that way, so maybe the answer would be aluminum gear cases.

So far that is what I think of fixes, the car has a great future if those problems are addressed promptly, it is a great handling car and the fact of being shaft driven make it very fast, but if they don't fix those problems maybe Mugen or Serpent or any other will come up with a better design and people are not going to buy NTC3 anymore..... I wished AE could read this post and swallow their pride admitting there's are some problems
that have to be fixed if they want to have a real winner. And of course if they want to keep people buying the car and their good aftermarket rep.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Default JLMG1971

I absolutely agree with everything you said, but I would be glad if Mugen actually did come out with a performance shaft drive car.
They just have more experience with gas racing and I think they'd do a better job than AE did.

One thing I think they wouldn't do is place the engine the same way than AE.

If the TC3 had the engine on the right side with the clutch facing the front of the car, a lot problems, like overheating due to proximity of the exhaust, gas boiling etc would be solved.
They could place the transmission and brakes in the middle of the drive train with two short driveshafts going to the front and rear gear boxes.
This would allow the use of regular exhaust too.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

JLM - good list!

I think I have had probs with my clutch too and if they are coming out with a centax soon, cool, they are addressing this problem.

I talked with Barry Baker at the Norrca On-Road Nats and he was running the new, improved AE tank - it has the pressure fitting in the lid and a few other improvements. He said (. . .) it would be available soon. . .

I'm wondering what could be done about the diff cases and towers. . .hmmm.

I've found AE to be pretty decent about fixing problems. They came out with this car with fewer problems than Yok had with their new car - at least the NTC-3 tank didn't crack and leak!!!!! or the belt (shaft) wasn't placed in such a way that it ran against the header. . .

Anyway, I hope that AE does address the now known issues (shouldn't be any questions. . .) and makes this car something that someone other than the Bakers can drive for ever!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by stefan
If the TC3 had the engine on the right side with the clutch facing the front of the car, a lot problems, like overheating due to proximity of the exhaust, gas boiling etc would be solved.
They could place the transmission and brakes in the middle of the drive train with two short driveshafts going to the front and rear gear boxes.
This would allow the use of regular exhaust too.
Isn't that what HPI just did? But how would you mount a rear exhaust engine?

Last edited by ChristopherKee; 07-18-2002 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Like this!

Old 07-18-2002, 02:32 PM

Yeah that'd be an awesome idea; why didn't AE just do that? Maybe because if you put the engine in that way the car would go backwards. Look at the second HPI photo below and look at where the pinion is in relation to the diff ring gear. Doh!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

you can put the engine on eather side it will still go the same direction, asociated will have to change the side the ring is on in the diff.. ring and pinion... just like flipping the a axel over so it willl drive the other direction....
Old 07-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Wrong,

It does not matter on which side the engine sits of the spur gear, it'll still turn the same way.

It's true that AE would have to change the direction of the drive train when you turn the engine 180 degrees (not left to right)
This is a left over from the electric car
Old 07-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

u guys i have a big problem, first off though i just went to my local track today to drive my tc3 for the FIRST TIME EVER, and ow my god, with the stock set up, the cra was 1,000,000 times better than the rs4 that i used to have, i mean it was just awesome , it was like i was on rails, but the acker man steering really alows me down, i dont have enough steering even though my steering servo is in its maximum position still the car doesnt have enough steering for the track, which is short , but long enough get max spd reached, n e ways, i have a question

remember i said my 2 spd was working when the car was in the air, well, in does shift at about 20,000 rpm's but the problem is that thats only in the air, when i drove the car at my track the car was stuck in 2nd gear, and dont know nop way of fixing it, evenm though the car had good accelerateion when from stopped position, and i mean VERY VERY good acceleration, but the problem is that the car is stuck in 2nd gear and is putting a TREMENDIOUS amount of loa on the car , so now my problem is the following, cause the car is stuck in 2nd gear, when i accelerate, something like i THINK the 2 spd shoes or is it the clutch shoes slips, and the problem is that i have tried 1 turn from closed position, 1 1/2 turns from closed position , 2 turns, 2 1/2 turns, 2 3/4 turns. 3 turns , 3 1/2 turns , 4 turns , 4 1/2 , 4 3/4 , and 5 turns from closed position on the 2 spd shoes, yes i did adjust the correct hole and also yes i did adjust BOTH shoes at the same turns out, but STILL stuck in 2nd gear, please u guys help me, and also the stock clutch shpoes slip badly, how can i fix this problem? please help me u guys, the engine is so hard to tune also, man the engine doesnt idle or anything, and the car is having so much load on the engine that the engine chokes on fuel at the very very end of the straights, if u know what i mean, n e ways , please help me

and thanks alot and sorry or the long post
Old 07-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Take a look at this HPI car, if AE doesn't fix the NTC3s problems people are going to start looking at this
http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/
Old 07-18-2002, 06:15 PM

Mr. Mowery is correct. Just like flipping an axle over. You cannot get the engine in with the exhaust facing back without the car going backwards when you hit it. If AE could have used the same diff cases and put the engine in like an 1/8 buggy or the RS4-3 so they didn't have to do a new pipe don't you think they would have?? There are other considerations too like which way does it torque steer when you nail it (left or right) and this is tied to the direction the engine faces(front vs. rear). BTW I'll get a TGR before I buy another HPI. HPI sold out on gas racers a long time ago. Anyone know a good supply for Tamiya stuff?

Ok I just looked at the HPI; not too shabby. Now how much does it cost? Don't forget one of the undisputed features of domestic RCs is the much lower cost of parts.

Last edited by OB42TC3; 07-18-2002 at 06:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.