Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default R40 moving ver slowly

Hi,

Had a slight knock on my R40 over the weekend. After that, even when I full throttle, the car would move at very slow speed. It seems stuck forever in that speed although both the gears look alright from outside. It likes driving your car in 2nd gear all the time. Anyone here have any advice how to check or what is damaged or to replace?

Thanks a mil !
Old 10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Try and isolate the problem. Remove the middle belt. Then check if the front wheels roll freeley. If they do, check the rear wheels. It they are free, spin the gears on the 2 speed. Just check one thing at a time, eleminating them if they are okay. If all else fails, start tearing the car down, starting with the area you think is causing the problem.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:02 AM
MrD
Tech Initiate

I second that, you need to isolate the problem. I would go a step further and make sure that there is nothing else wrong with the car, ie. On some occasions when I or a friend of mine "crashed" our/their cars we would see and fix the obvious problem and then later find out that something else was broken or out of order. This would usually happen during a race and then we would have to leave the race because of this. he he. So, it pays to take your time and be observant.

P.S

Do any of you know where I can get my hands on ceramic bearings for my R40, (individual or set)? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrD
I second that, you need to isolate the problem. I would go a step further and make sure that there is nothing else wrong with the car, ie. On some occasions when I or a friend of mine "crashed" our/their cars we would see and fix the obvious problem and then later find out that something else was broken or out of order. This would usually happen during a race and then we would have to leave the race because of this. he he. So, it pays to take your time and be observant.

P.S

Do any of you know where I can get my hands on ceramic bearings for my R40, (individual or set)? Thanks.
boca has the best ceramics going..(sshhh..don't tell anyone this great secret for the r40 )
Old 10-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
boca has the best ceramics going..(sshhh..don't tell anyone this great secret for the r40 )
Just how good are we talking about? What's the price like?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Just how good are we talking about? What's the price like?
these are the ones I have....

they make other sets for the r40...up and down in price.....

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...&n=*20-135C-YS
Old 10-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone heard or seen anything about the new R40 yet?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
Sadly they are really the only company that has great selection on almost every kit. I even used to buy boca bearings for my skating days.

Very large reputable company. Allthough there was better for skates out there, too bad those companies wont venture into bearings for rc cars.

You can also contact really any bearing manufacturer , go through your bearing sizes from the manual and get them to custom make an order for you.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

You would do well just to drop the stock r40 bearings and get some better quality chrome or ss ones, you dont have to necessarily go for ceramic hybrids. In my opinion the stock bearings are pretty poor quality, I switched to some swiss made bearings and the difference was noticeable.
Ceramic hybrid bearings dont offer any weight saving benefits unless you uses full ceramics but I wouldn't recommend for rc model use if you can even find the correct sizes. ceramics allow for higher spindle speeds last longer and run quieter, there really only required for hi rpm applications such as motor bearings, but theres no harm using them in an rc car.

Ai is right the bearings in the r40 are prettys standard sizes, just look around for bearing manufactures or distributors and let them know what sizes you require. stick to European or US made bearings, theres a lot of cheap options made by chinese manufacturers but the quality is questionable.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

i was thinking about changing the engine bearings to highspeed ceramics...but they cost about half as much as a full ceramic set of the entire car...and its only 2 bearings...its the size....right?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

ceramic bearings = good for heat dissipation & longevitiy. Which High RPM = High Friction = High Heat.....so I agree with what your saying on the ceramics.

They also offer ceramic upgraded bearings for some of the REAL WORLD turbo kits I can buy for my car. They are really the only bearing you see in upgrades. Due to the heat factor they are the thing to buy. As well are supposed to help turbo spool up / aka reduce turbo lag.

Also I hear of people replacing just the RC motor bearings with HQ ceramics, because of the high-heat factor.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-bocabearings-picture.jpg  
Old 10-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

And yes im pretty sure those are the ones on haras car.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:07 AM
MrD
Tech Initiate

The ceramics (hybrids) look great. How about ceramic gears for the diffs. ?? he he, that be great…
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

What bearing sets have you guys purchased. Also I just thought about this , would ceramic bearings also weigh less? Are there any bearing sets that might?

I purchased a set for cheap. They look ok quality. Im going to try these out soon. I thought the stock ones seemed alright?

But yeah im probably going to get something from boca very soon. That or maybe acer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.