Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by Manticore
i said iDiot snake !

you are not an iDiot snake. i know it !

Old 01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Thanks for the opinion........but don't get me wrong, I am not really a parking lot basher type, I "OPTION" the parts that I really need.........so those aluminum arms, steering knuckles or titanium king pins are defiinitely NOT what I am looking for........in this case R40, I see several major upgrade that is a MUST (well, not really, but at least I think OPTION will make the R40 better)

(1) Carbon shock towers front and rear.........you guys can tell me hows the stock one holding...from what I saw, most stock R40 with stock plate are all bent or something....so carbon fiber tower should be there.

(2) The whole lightweight transmission...........no need to say more, the lighter the better, from 2-speed gears, to hollow shaft to light weight clutch housing.....lighter is better and is faster.

(3) Carbon side brace........same as the shock tower.

I think with these 3 major upgrade, the R40 should be capable to race against 710, MTX, NTC3 and G4........yes, I've seen stock R40 beat up 705 before, but what I am saying is, these are my 1st stage of upgrade on R40.

In this case, I think I will definitely spend this season on the R40.....not running the 710 for this season is a very tough decision for me, but I always enjoy to tune a UNDERDOG chassis and race against the fast guy like 710, G4, Reflex and NTC3......I did that on my Super Nitro against Serpent Impact before, I don't mind to try that on 200mm class..........

Not to mention..........HPI challenge.
Rookie let me give you some actual answers rather than some lame comments. I know how you feel I just got lame comments when I first joined here.

I have received my R40 and built it. I also have some of the hopups in my possession, but not on the car.

Question 1. Absolutely impossible to bend these plates in stock form. If you bent these shock towers you will definately have destroyed the upper bulkheads and very likely the shocks at the same time. The alloy towers are far stronger than most cars stock shock towers.

Question 2. The R40 transmission is very badly designed compared to the rest of the car. The whole car except for the tranmission is very very well thought out with some excellent features present. The tranmission is a 3 year+ old design and weighs FAR more than my 3 year old V1Rs transmission. It is majorly beefy and will take some serious abuse, but the choice of materials and the design needs to be rethought. No big deal, Kawahara has a far lighter item with 0.8 module gears available which takes the car into the modern era tranmission wise. Not too expensive.

Not also that the centax clutch suffers from the same thing. VERY heavy design compared with the competition. It needs a lightened clutchbell for sure.

Question 3. Disagree here, the alloy is light and durable. No big weight saving.

Overall the R40 is very good, but HPI missed the mark a little in 2 main areas.

1. Plastic quality falls short of Mugen, Kyosho and Serpent. Too soft.
2. Tranmission is far too heavy. In fact I believe the overly beefy transmission contributes greatly to the overall car weight.

Even with these quibbles (and I might note EVERY other car also has some deficiencies) the car is damn tight. Best part is I have a whole wad of change in my pocket over buying a Mugen or 710 which I can spend on the tranny and then the car will be how I like it.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

amg:

this is why i'm glad you're on board to set us monkeys straight .

would the mugen clutch set be lighter or just upgrade the clutchbell?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi Rookie....

Boy,I tell you...........You guys are tough on rookie...

I don't know if any of you remember me from my HPI forum days.but a few of you sound like I used to.. ...Hey!..you love your HPI cars......Nothing wrong with that,I feel the same..But we have to go a little easier on newcomers to the camp...esp. those who haven't bought the car yet.....

Rookie was asking some legitimate questions.....What everyone has to remember is that that this is HPI's first pro car....and that any product can sit on a bench forever,but you eventually have to get the product to market...

There will be changes to the car as HPI refines the car......but even with the heavy parts(and as AMG said,they ARE bulletproof,and though heavy,work very well)....This car runs damn well......

Tranced,I want you to come to Nanuet NY on a tues nite when it gets warmer.....I would love to race with you.....Man,You are enthusiastic,for sure...

Hey rookie......Just buy the car.......A car that can raise this much passion in people can't be that bad,right?...and regardless of hop ups,its a very smooth car.....and takes some seroius abuse without tweaking......VERY easy to work on......

And everyone hops up their cars anyway.. ....Whats the worst that can happen?....You build it,run it...if you like it, spend a few bucks tailoring the car to your racing needs....If not,stick it on ebay........For 250 bucks,you will be impressed how the car behaves on a race track....

AMG,hows it going bud?...

The plastic may be a tad soft,but the car has NO twist on the arms and crucial area's.....And the material may contribute to the cars taking hits so well......PLUS,what I like(ESP. after having a Tc3 nitro)...you can take the car apart a few times without the damn screw holes stripping after 2 turns......
Old 01-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

While I do realize rookie solara had *SOME* legitimate questions, he was being so imposing that I couldn't sit back and let him ruin the name.

You can bet i will make the best effort to get out there @ Nanuet. Is there a site for the locale ? I race just as hard as I yell
Old 01-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by tranced
While I do realize rookie solara had *SOME* legitimate questions, he was being so imposing that I couldn't sit back and let him ruin the name.

You can bet i will make the best effort to get out there @ Nanuet. Is there a site for the locale ? I race just as hard as I yell

Yep...County Gas Service in Nanuet,NY.......You can PM mail for directions...we have lights,a blown off parking lot,road rail system..we all chip in 5 bucks apiece for the owner(who runs a tc3)......nitro touring only.....We are probably going to set up monthly races this year..with lap counters.....But for the most part its a group of guys(about 30 ona given night) just getting together to have some fun..(though we do race real hard..its a REAL tough crowd when it comes to the racing BS )...

Rookie is a good guy......we could use him on the forums....beside's,look at the Ball Busting I do on teh serpent forum(and others).....I'm no better than him(in fact,probably worse)..

Also,heres my bottom line.....ALL cars have some issues...and some issues bother some people..amd some people never have problems with a car.....(Ask anyone with a nitro tc3,probably the most loved/hated car made)........

But heres what I look at....Hows the car run and drive?..thats teh bottom line.......evrything else is secondary(but also a deciding factor).....

the r40,out of the box,drives VERY WELL.......NO PUSH,great handling....no need to fiddle.......

Last edited by fastharry™; 01-25-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While I understand that screaming at people isn't the best response, you also have to look at the way the other person ask the question or made the comment.

I don't think the response rookie got was "lame" in the least bit. And its the same response he would get on any thread on this board if he went there like he came here. PERIOD!

The question I have is why would anyone want to buy a car that they so obviously think so little of?

Of course its his money and he can do whatever he wants with it, but jezzzz.....he wasn't exactly just asking questions. He was asking questions while throwing in put downs....what kind of response is he supposed to get???

Try this:

Your sister is fat and ugly, but what do you think about me dating her?

Thats the same way that rookie presented his questions:

The car is an "underdog", it needs hop ups, and isn't in the same league as the other cars........but I'm thinking of getting one anyway. Ummmmm.....o k a y....

I don't think anyone here means to jump on any newcomers. But most of the newcomers are coming in with preconceived notions about the car based on what they've heard or experienced with previous HPI kits.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Default What is it???

Can somebody explain to me what it is that draws so many people, who apparently don't care for HPI or the R40, to the R40? Now before you jump to conclusions, NO this isn't some kind of fanboy post in a useless attempt to defend the car or the company. Check my signature...I don't keep cars long enough to become a fanboy!

What I mean is, they come here like...

"the plastic sucks, the car is too heavy, the drivetrain isn't as good as this car, the craftsmanship isn't as good as that car, it doesn't come with the right 'stuff', it should have alum. shocks and a one-way, it just isn't in the same league as Serpent and Mugen, etc......., the car only won because of Hara, yadayadayada"

one week later............"well, ummm, I got my R40 now".........

I'm not trying to attack anyone.....I just don't get it. If I don't think a car is up to the standards of another, or as race worthy as another car......I just ignore it and pay attention to the car I think the most of. I don't go to the thread, say it sucks, ask how I can I make it not suck, then.....in the end.....buy one.

Its great to have as many people own the car as possible. It makes for more setups and info to share and means that the company and aftermarket companies will support it more. So its always good to have more people. So welcome aboard to anyone who wants to buy one!

I just don't get what it is about the car that makes people who apparently think so little about it, take interest in it, and then buy it....it certainly isn't the people one this thread convincing them....cause we haven't been very nice to the type of people I'm refering to in this post. Infact, we've responded, pretty much how those people should have expected us to.

yet, in the end, most if not all of them, end up getting the car that they appearently (a few weeks before) didn't care for in the least. I guess it must be the cars winning personality...
Old 01-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think anyone here means to jump on any newcomers. But most of the newcomers are coming in with preconceived notions about the car based on what they've heard or experienced with previous HPI kits.
that much is certain......

You don't have to tell me how much you guys like HPI stuff,...I've been racing their cars since my first rs4 in 1997..(with a 1 year haitus for the nitro tc3 ,and even then I was still foolin' around with my racer2's..)...

Its our job to educate people how great the car is without pissing them off.....(I mean,look at me..I was all set to get the 710 because of all the things I read about the car before it came out....Of course,I didn't get it because of all the things I read after the car came out)..

Let them read what a great group we have here....(which we do)...and read positive stuff about teh car.....Look how great the 710 guys are....thats a great thread......(untill I stick my nose in

)....
Old 01-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by fastharry
You don't have to tell me how much you guys like HPI stuff,...
Actually, the R40 is only my second HPI kit...

But, I was quite happy with my first HPI kit. The Mircro RS4.

So does two kits mean I'm a devoted HPI guy? If so, then I have some explaining to do about all the Kyosho, Yokomo, Tamiya, Schumacher, Academy, Associated and other kits I currently own or have owned!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by icon
amg:

this is why i'm glad you're on board to set us monkeys straight .

would the mugen clutch set be lighter or just upgrade the clutchbell?
Mugen clutch is lighter no doubt. My Mugen clutch has a lightened flywheel, no pressure plate and lightened clutchbell so it is super light.

The Mugen clutch will for sure be lighter.

I will run the HPI clutch in stock format for a really good test.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
The plastic may be a tad soft,but the car has NO twist on the arms and crucial area's.....And the material may contribute to the cars taking hits so well......PLUS,what I like(ESP. after having a Tc3 nitro)...you can take the car apart a few times without the damn screw holes stripping after 2 turns......
Yep I totally agree here. The car is soft in the plastic, but very rigid.

You could be right about the impact thing. I am used to Kyosho plastic, and frankly I think it is the best on the market. I have brutalised by car and never bent or broke an arm or hub in 2 1/2 years.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

yep..I'll tell you another thing I'll think you'll like...

The car responds very well to even small changes....it has a wide sweet spot for handling........And another thing I noticed(and I remember,esp since its been winter in New Jersey for 3 months already, and I haven't driven the car since the HPI world finals in sept)...that it feels like my tc3 in that the faster you drive the car,the better it feels..........The COMPLETE opposite of the HPI racer 2''s.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.