Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
By the way, James(rcfoolz) it was nice meeting you at the Wnats. Great job on making the A, and great job on finishing with a broken knuckle. Cant wait till next year
Thank you... nice meeting you too. Can't wait till next year....or the Nats?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
its not just cause it looks cool. For the longest time i ran airtronics m8 with gen 1 spektrum. point is even I can tell the difference on track, when small imputs would be lost with the m8, the helios responds to the same input. and my servos magicly recenter correctly lol. THAT is why I like it. and why so angry? lol
Not angry
Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Thank you... nice meeting you too. Can't wait till next year....or the Nats?
I cant wait for the sedan nats, or the 2010 winternats. The Fort keeps makes you wanna be there, speciallt after the first time.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

I wanted to give some input on this, as I do have a lot of experience on using carbon fiber chassis on nitro based cars. Over 7 years... I do not run one on my car only because I have been told it was not "ROAR" legal when I was doing testing at Kissimmee back in 2006 and I have not taken a serious approach to this, but I do have a current NT1 with a CF chassis in my garage.

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Carbon Graphite Main Chassis 3.1mm
68g
I have been making these for 3 1/2 years now, going back to the MTX4 MTX3 (more...read)

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
is a carbon fiber chassis that great of an idea on a nitro?
Actualy it is a good idea. I took and built a carbon fiber chassis 4 years ago and ran it at Kissimmee. To test it, I drove the car head on into the wall at the back straight, FULL THROTTLE.... the car didn't break. I also tagged many areas on the track during my test....the chassis will "flex" and return, but it will retain a memory after prolonged accidents, much more than an aluminum chassis will take)

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
The CG will get higher if you use a carbon chassis.
Furthermore you need the aluminium as a heatsink for the engine, with the carbon i think the temperatures will rise with a 10-15C.
Correct, the CG will get higher
Yes/No.....Carbon fiber is an excellent heat sink/disipitator.....that is why they use it in motor cycle exhausts, run for hours and yet cools down quickly.
You can argue this in two ways...the engine ran warmer.....maybe it was turning more RPM's? It didn't have to pull as much wieght>car will accelerate much faster...

Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
What about durability..?
The carbon fiber chassis does not allow much side flex, like the aluminum chassis. It will take all the abuse the the aluminum chassis will take, and if you his something hard enough to bend the aluminum chassis, the carbon chassis will "spring" back, but it will retain a "memory" We found this out in Oval racing Nitro Pan cars in GASCAR. (3 years experience with this)

Originally Posted by Nitro-Racer*
Durability??? no way that chassi will not break after a pretty serious accident(i believe it will break even easier). carbon fiber is britle meaning that it will not bent but just break....
How hard does a pan car hit? With no bumper!
NO, but YES.... Again, this has been tested by me and some other racers around the country that I have sent chassis to over the years. Industrial grade carbon fiber is very brittle and does not like "shock", but thier is a better grade of carbon fiber that is cross weaved, called "Quasi-Isotropic Carbon Fiber" and is used in many automotive structural applications. It has a life span of 15+years in such applications. The chassis I made were made from the Quasi type and took a tremendous impact at 50+mph at Kissimmee....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/1954138-post2265.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...assis-nt1.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...4-chassis.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...r-chassis.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...ml#post1960710

just some light reading posts above
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)

I actually forgot when I ran oval back in the 90s the pan car chassis were made out of carbon fiber and the durability was good can't believe I forgot thanks for refreshing my memory..
Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Not angry
And I am trying to work more practice into things, Ran more last year than I have in YEARS and have gotten better. but as always i still have a long ways to go. i tried your setup, GREAT initial steering but maybe I wasn't driving it hard enough into the corner.. tried high rear roll center and seemed to work better for me. Will work more with your setup in spring (moving to colorado in a month)
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

hhmm, very impresive experiences thanks for correcting me. good to hear from first hand experience. So why arent they manufactured by the companies and are illegal??
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitro-Racer*
hhmm, very impresive experiences thanks for correcting me. good to hear from first hand experience. So why arent they manufactured by the companies and are illegal??
I don't know the answer to that. Looking at my notes, I was told by Rafael Angulo when doing testing at Kissimmee in January of 2006 that a carbon fiber chassis was illegal in competition, but I don't know why it would be. Maybe some more research should be done to find out.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

I don't know the answer to that. Looking at my notes, I was told by Rafael Angulo when doing testing at Kissimmee in January of 2006 that a carbon fiber chassis was illegal in competition, but I don't know why it would be. Maybe some more research should be done to find out.

James the only thing illegal a carbon chassis is that it will kill your engine!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MBlackketter
James the only thing illegal a carbon chassis is that it will kill your engine!
I would have to agree, weather the engine is cooled too fast or gains heat and the mixture is adjusted to compensate, the harmonics would be off. Engines are built today to be ran in the cars that are manufactured today. When running Nitro Pan oval, we used os CV-12, a throw away engine.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would have to agree, weather the engine is cooled too fast or gains heat and the mixture is adjusted to compensate, the harmonics would be off. Engines are built today to be ran in the cars that are manufactured today. When running Nitro Pan oval, we used os CV-12, a throw away engine.
Hmmm interesting, i always thought that carbon was a lot worse in absorbing heat than aluminium. Don't know why i thought this.

But now i want to test a carbon chassis, see what it does. Under Efra rules it's allowed i think, never read something about the chassis material.

Btw nice new part from Xray: Brass Battery tray, perfect timing because i was already planning to have one made.
http://www.redrc.net/2009/02/xray-nt...battery-plate/
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Hello France,
just receive my 09' NT1 with the new RB T9RC.

I will detailled the 20 upgrades...

Au revoir.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by romuald31
Hello France,
just receive my 09' NT1 with the new RB T9RC.

I will detailled the 20 upgrades...

Au revoir.
New Fuel tang have new part no. ?
& all sus. arm ?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

just from the picture, it looks like 2nd gear is wider and their is more shock adjustment holes in the rear shock tower. Also, the rear belt looks wider.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

The upgrades:

It's all the same part numbers, anly V2 added.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.