Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richey Modified Motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mr. Richey?

Mr. Richey, I just bought a new Collari .12 TR5 and was wondering if your mods are done in regards to what the engine will be used for or do you do only do one type of mod tailord for all .12 engines? If that doesn't make sense, what I mean is does your mod for a .12 that will be used for off road differ from the mods you do to engines for on road? One mod fits all or is there a smorgasboard of mods in your repitore' used for specific applications? Also another question concerning Picco engines..... I also have a brand new in box Ron Paris Modified Picco .21G1Pro with the turbo button. I was going to use this in my 1/8th scale onroad car but instead sold the car becasue I was running low on funds for other cars I have. What is the difference between this .21G1Pro and the same engine but for buggy offroad use? Is it just that the buggy offroad type does not have a turbo button and uses a regular glow plug? I wanted to convert mine for offroad use in my GS Storm PRO but was not sure if this was wise. Can I just change out the button head and expect it to be torque like the offroad version or should I just sell it and buy the buggy offroad version of the same engine?? Any help is appreciated. Also, I would like to send the Collari .12 out to you for mod work. do you have an address I can send it to and prices for your work?

Thanks

Andre'
Old 03-24-2002, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Motorman
Yes your statment is generally true,
What crank duration does is this. (however keep in mind that there is a point of diminishing returns)

I am going to throw out some arbitrary numbers to make a piont, these are not measured but only stated to put it in an understandable perspective. If I threw out all the details I would be out of business in a real hurry.

We are limited to 5.5 MM bore carbs to be roar legal. so Picture this

One full crank rotation is 360 degrees ( a full circle)
If the window is open 160 degrees of that and draws air for that period of time lets say it draws 10 cubic feet of air per minute or CFM.(not measured just a good number to work with so it makes sense)

Now lets say that the crank duration is increased to 210 degrees so it has increased by 50 degrees. or 7.2 percent. This in turn makes the engine think the carb is 6.26 MM bore. at least it flows the equivilent amount of air per 360 degrees of rotation of the engine.

do you see how this could add top end and still keep the carb bore legal 5.5 MM

This is also why you can see a small loss in low end torque because the low speed velocity can fall off when you start adding duration. (there is a point where reversion begins to take place and a significant loss of low speed torque will develop requiring a new crank)

Ports. Ports in number mean nothing. It is more important that they be sized properly to maintain peak velocity into the cylinder. Bigger and more is not always better as to big slows velocity hurting low end torque. More ports are only usefull if they actually add to REAL crankcase flow and induce tumble and swirl into the cylinder. The same can be accompolished with 3 holes or 12 holes it is how those holes are shaped, arranged and sized that matters. They must work in harmony and not be flow dominate independantly of each other.

Exhaust ports. Increased exhaust timing will add top end but at the expense of low speed torque and fuel mileage. (there is also a point of diminishing returns here.)

all in all all of this is irrelevant if you cant get it out the exhaust pipe. (ie 5 mm stinger) Also remember I am not saying that you cannot get more performance even with a 5 MM stinger limit as it becomes a top end control and even if the engine had a 6.2 MM carb it still may be only 80% effecient so really only flow like 5.5. 5.5 MM carbs with stock timing on most 12 engines may only folw like a 4 MM carb due to effeciency drops.

I've said alot so I guess I'll stop now.
thank you very much dennis i understand.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Dennis: As im an very soon getting mye engine, i would like som break in tips from you. What do you reccomend.

Also, what would be a good rollout for this engine. 1.st and 2.nd gear...
running on medium sized track(205 meters)
Old 03-26-2002, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Dennis,
Have you gotten any of the new Collari's in yet? And if so give me the skinny on them. I still have not used my pull start Collari, but it is already money spend so I am planning on using it. Any recomendations on tuning.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tunning COLLARI

just a quick tip for u when you set up the initial carb settings... BE sure thet when you set the low end needle to do it wilth the carb at full OPEN... I didnt and wound up chasing the thing until I did that...

For breaking in (Eric V - castle hobbies.) suggested that on the first fuel bottle to add some additional castor (about 1/2 oz or less), and as the fuel bottle gets used up to keep diluting that fuel. Until you run approximately one or two fuel bottles through it. The first 2 tanks are Idled through the engine, then progressivly lean the carb to it's final settings. As per the direction sheet, that came with the motor.

Rich

Originally posted by BallPy
Dennis,
Have you gotten any of the new Collari's in yet? And if so give me the skinny on them. I still have not used my pull start Collari, but it is already money spend so I am planning on using it. Any recomendations on tuning.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Dennis, do you have RTO sleeve/piston sets ready to go, or must I send in a stock set to be modified by you? I already bought one MT-12 p/s for my stock engine, and would like to know if I need to purchase another.

Oh, BTW, I figured out why some of my engines haven't really reached optimum performance. I broke them in too cold (below 200F)! Durrr...
Old 03-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Old 03-29-2002, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Dennis.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Old 03-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default Motorman

I want to get one of your motors... needs to be ROAR legal. I've emailed you a couple times but no response. Can you get back to me as to how to obtain one of your motors. I'd like to get an RB concepts or MT12.

Thanks

Rich

[email protected]
Old 03-29-2002, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Motorman
at the beginning of this post it indicates that RC Rage Racing handles my engines. This is incorrect as they have not had any since last year. RC Rage was distributing my reworks but that is no longer happening. They are selling a modified of some type with letter designations similar to mine now but they are not my designs.
Thanks
Dennis
Yeah I thought as much. Rage started faxxing me stuff @ the store, I never gave them the #. And on the HPi forum someone from Rage asked my how many modded motors I wanted. When I asked for none and have never approached them for any reason whatsoever.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mr. Ritchey?

Is Dennis still working and taking orders for mods? I got a Collari TR5 that I need work done to.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

hey, motorman, i got my engine today, now i possibly have the fastest .12 in Norway???
hope so....
roll out recomandation for reflex nt?? medium size track.
1.st and 2.nd gear please...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.