Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richey Modified Motors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Corse-R
By the fact that the 310 is pretty similar to RS12T5, but what I've 'so called' 315R is in fact the 315 and changes the sleeve and the crank (My fault). What I have is the 315 with the 5 port sleeve custom ported and the 'BiTurbo crank' of rody (the most similar to a .21 on-road crank you can fit on a .12).
From what I understand from the above is that RB has 2 different cranks i.e. stock one in the 315 and the optional biturbo crank?

I thought that the crank in the 315 is the ultimate one that RB has...
Old 02-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Tronky
The RB in question is the 310. Here in S'pore US$1 = S$1.70, so the RB's ard 35 bux more expensive than the Nova S5. The RB's here are ard S$370. We hardly ever buy through the web coz S'pore's juz so small, most LHS are easily accessible.

I'm asking this question coz currently me and a couple of frens are running the RS12s but I got a pal here running a pretty old beat up RB 3 port X12 (still lotsa compression after 2 yrs of abuse) that came stock wif his Serpent which is putting out so much more power than ours. So all along, I thot RBS are slightly modded Novas coz they came at a premium over the Novas.
I have both engines in question. The RB12 3-port and the RS12 T5. The RB12 your friend has must be seriously modified to be putting out more power than your RS12 T5. Maybe he is just gearing higher to get more speed on the straight than you?????
Old 02-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by modellor
I have both engines in question. The RB12 3-port and the RS12 T5. The RB12 your friend has must be seriously modified to be putting out more power than your RS12 T5. Maybe he is just gearing higher to get more speed on the straight than you?????
Tronky,

When you mentioned "putting out so much more power than ours", do you mean more pickup or simply more top speed?

Most likely gearing (or clutch setup) as the Serpent has an internal ratio of 2 and among the highest in most cars. I think the Yokomo has the highest (modellor??). It's easy to get top speed.

Last edited by InitialD; 02-10-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Congrats to two of my team drivers Tenessee Brown and Brad Toffelmire for finishing 1 and 2 at CP this weekend in 200 MM. Both ran Richey RTU engines. Both drove MTX3's
Old 02-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Interesting: of the A main field this past weekend at CP, there were several GT4's, some TC3's, 2 OFNA LD3's and some other unknown cars. Of the finishing 4, 3 were Mugens.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally posted by ChrisF
Interesting: of the A main field this past weekend at CP, there were several GT4's, some TC3's, 2 OFNA LD3's and some other unknown cars. Of the finishing 4, 3 were Mugens.
What are the average laptimes these fast guys pulling in the current track config.?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Congrats Dennis!!!!!! Any word on the other project??

Tommy
Old 02-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Brad and Pepe were turning low 16's with Brad turning a bunch of 16.0's. I think the current TC record there is 15.9 set by Mr. Fabulous.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Me and my frens are running RS12s 3 ports, not the 5 ports. The RBX12 has pretty decent pickup, slightly slower than our Novas, but it seems to pick up it's revs real fast, by the time he hits 2nd spd, it's like race lost already. The RB cld hit the higher reaches of the rpm and stay there for as long as he wot without dropping any revs.

On the contrary our RS12s wld hit the top speed for a while before the revs starts dropping. Initially I attribute that to the RB X15 turbo pipe the RB guy's using, so I got myself a 7mm outlaw pipe but result's still the same (I got more high end but lose out lots in my pickup), so in conclusion, I think the RBs cld juz pull more revs constantly.

Other than the Serpent, all of us are running V1Rs, so I suppose like InitialD mentioned, it cld be due to the gearing too. None of our engines are modded, we are juz a bunch of recreational players, play prob 2-3 times a week max.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Me and my frens are running RS12s 3 ports, not the 5 ports. The RBX12 has pretty decent pickup, slightly slower than our Novas, but it seems to pick up it's revs real fast, by the time he hits 2nd spd, it's like race lost already. The RB cld hit the higher reaches of the rpm and stay there for as long as he wot without dropping any revs.

On the contrary our RS12s wld hit the top speed for a while before the revs starts dropping. Initially I attribute that to the RB X15 turbo pipe the RB guy's using, so I got myself a 7mm outlaw pipe but result's still the same (I got more high end but lose out lots in my pickup), so in conclusion, I think the RBs cld juz pull more revs constantly.

Other than the Serpent, all of us are running V1Rs, so I suppose like InitialD mentioned, it cld be due to the gearing too. None of our engines are modded, we are juz a bunch of recreational players, play prob 2-3 times a week max.
Is that the Team Magic inline pipe you're using? I thought I measured the pipe length to be somewhere in the late 80 ++ mm. Very short pipe. So definitely you'll loose some bottom end. But why worry? With the V1R, you have an internal ratio of 2.526 versus Serpent's internal ratio of 2. Use smaller pinions and gain back your accelleration. The engine will be able to rev high to be able to make up for the loss in top speed due to smaller pinions.

This would be in line with your observations. The Serpent with the RB engine would be less punchy but nice once the 2 speed engages.

What you could do is to find out what gearing (spurs and pinion) combination and the type of clutch (Centax??) the guy is using on his Serpent. You could list yours too for the V1R.

Else, the other explanation would be different carb settings...
Old 02-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Conrods

I have a rb x-12 3 port which I plan to use this year as my back up. I bot a p/s for it. Can I use any other novarossi based conrods, or do I need to use an RB. Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 03-08-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks motorman
Old 02-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

The RBX12 has pretty decent pickup, slightly slower than our Novas, but it seems to pick up it's revs real fast, by the time he hits 2nd spd, it's like race lost already. The RB cld hit the higher reaches of the rpm and stay there for as long as he wot without dropping any revs.

Definitely it's the pipe, last weekend I was playing with pipes and manifold lenghts and got to the same points with different gearings and different shifting points on the same RB 215 model, one interesting setup was:

- RB 'short' manifold
- RB X12 pipe
- 46/42 spurs with 16/20 pinions on MTX.

Isn't a buy and bolt combo, first of all you need to cut the manifold up to the point where pipe and the manifold measures 102 milimeters this should be about 16 milimeters less of manifold and get a 5mm drill and enlarge the stinger.

This combination gave me a lot of mid rpms acceleration and quite torque out of turns.

Another good combo is made with the 2 pieces 'Rpm' novarrosi pipe (51603 if not remember bad) drilled at 5.2mm and a slightly longer manifold (sorry don't have the lenght here, posting after). This get more high end with the loss of the low end so gearing was needed to change according to powerband.

Many times we overlook the potential of a good pipe and manifold combo and with a little of research we may find very interesting combinations.

Have an unanswered question by here: How is the Mugen pipe (the one that came with MTX2 and MTX3) Good, bad, resemble a little to the RPM pipe of Novarrosi... Motorman?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

motoman

can you post the bit on pipes and what suits what agian please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.