Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF801XT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench
most people here got their truggy on closeout from tamiya from a few years ago, at least thats when i got mine, its old, heavy, has weak front arms, some think the entire kit is fragile, i have no other truggy experience, mainly buggy but was a cheap way to get into a second class, to see if i like it, and i loooove truggy, i cant compare what it drives like, i started from scratch and just played with it until i felt it was neutral for my driving...i like how smooth the drivetrain is, and i like how it drives... im not serious enough to justify buying new kits every year something new comes out, but it was worth the cost to upgrade the arms and experiment with c-hubs, knuckles, shocks and driveshafts, was still cheaper than a new kit, and at the rate new kits are being introduced, its crazy to run a kit for 6months and sell it here to get the next... im not hardcore competitive, just a "club" level hobbyist, having fun

if you find one cheap, i personally think there fantastic, plenty new kits that are better, but for what it is, i like mine, and ill keep running it until i run out of drivetrain parts
The Wrench definitely has the right outlook on this truck. I am currently working through getting my XT running how I want it to. I am running it just as a basher and bmx pump track rc truck. No racing, just me and myself dicking around cuz I like building RC anything. So far I have experience some broken parts but I expected that since I was buying a used rig and bashing it.

I am running 3.8 rock rage wheels on mine with a Proline Yeti svt body. Running 6s with a Castle Mamba Monster esc and 1900kv brushless can. 45t spur and 15t pinion. Absolutely rips and probably would be better off on 4s, but 6s is what I got. First time out I stripped the metal pinion and spur within the first 15ft. Went to a plastic spur from either a Kyosho or Losi buggy/truggy.

Also building an 801x as an SCT rig since its the same wheelbase as a slash or sc10 or the like. At the moment just figuring out how to mount the body posts and bumpers. running it on just 2s with a HobbyWing Xerun Pro SCT esc and 4700kv 3536 motor. Considering dropping down to a 3800kv so I can run 3s and have the same rpm values as the 801XT. That said its not exactly underpowered on 2s... just needs nice quality batteries. Think 100c discharge rates.

I know this thread is a LONG read but its well worth it. Take notes on what is compatible in terms of replacement parts and you will be much better off down the road for it.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

That's awesome man, I just got done running my Tamiya 801xt on a local track. Running 4s with monster mamba 2200kv. Love the truck, just bought a t bone basher front. Only issue I'm having with this truggy is the a arms, I've boiled them, but seems to still break. I'm sure you know it's a pain to find parts, I actually built a second kit last month to have parts. Is there any replacement arms you can recommend? I've looked it up and found a few ideas but what to see how your a arms are doing.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone have any thoughts on changing the front a arms?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

The drivetrain on this truck is good, but the rest is mostly very poor quality. The arms are of course the main weak point. But the shock towers and shocks are also quite bad.

It was definitely worth a 100 bucks though..

If there were a good solid easy arm solution I'd be a lot happier about having mine plus one spare kit as a backup.... The overall experience of having the truck would be much, much better.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeyMike801xt
Anyone have any thoughts on changing the front a arms?
if you go far back in the thread somewhere, i posted pictures on what i did, i used xray xt8 arms front and rear, and kyosho mp9 readyset front hubs and knuckles

i was able to use the stock "long arm" driveshafts with this setup and minimal fitting with the dremel here and there, mainly to ensure free movement around the c hub and arm, than drilled pilot holes for new droop screw locations.. the kyosho parts came complete with bearings, screws, post bushings... i havent broken an arm since i put it together, even though i bought like 3 sets of replacement xray parts

i also have a set of d8t tessmann edition cvds, i was gonna see if they were long enough to swap back to the tamiya front knuckles and hubs with the xray arms, if i could find aluminum kyosho front hubs for cheap, id use them... the readyset hubs and xray arms are really flexy at the hub end, and the tamiya hubs have options for link locations the kyosho stuff doesnt...

hope that helps
22kahn likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by the wrench
if you go far back in the thread somewhere, i posted pictures on what i did, i used xray xt8 arms front and rear, and kyosho mp9 readyset front hubs and knuckles

i was able to use the stock "long arm" driveshafts with this setup and minimal fitting with the dremel here and there, mainly to ensure free movement around the c hub and arm, than drilled pilot holes for new droop screw locations.. the kyosho parts came complete with bearings, screws, post bushings... i havent broken an arm since i put it together, even though i bought like 3 sets of replacement xray parts

i also have a set of d8t tessmann edition cvds, i was gonna see if they were long enough to swap back to the tamiya front knuckles and hubs with the xray arms, if i could find aluminum kyosho front hubs for cheap, id use them... the readyset hubs and xray arms are really flexy at the hub end, and the tamiya hubs have options for link locations the kyosho stuff doesnt...

hope that helps
I appreciate it man, I'll look into it. I really love this thing but I've been taking it easy from racing due to the high price in front a arms, I have like 12 pairs( I mean pairs, set of two) of rear a arms lol.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeyMike801xt
I appreciate it man, I'll look into it. I really love this thing but I've been taking it easy from racing due to the high price in front a arms, I have like 12 pairs( I mean pairs, set of two) of rear a arms lol.
this thread is filled with tons of useful info, you just gotta take the time to read that far back, i think from page 90 on.. the xray arms are night and day more durable, but like i said, they flex, if your just having fun and just wanna beat on it, its a great cheap fix, someone did rc8t arms too... just read a bit and use your judgement

the platform is 9 years old, so its really up to you to break out a ruler and caliper, measure stuff, go to the hobby shop and cross reference random parts, im really into the home brew side of r/c, mis matching and tinkering in general, but also taking cost effectiveness into account, do you really wanna drop loot on retrofits or sell it all and just get a current kit... i didnt want to spend 6 bills on a truggy+tires, just to see if i "liked" driving one... and i wasnt too into trucks to buy someone elses roller, but man, a 100 dollar shipped kit was a deal

i have so many mismatched parts on my truck i couldnt begin to point you in the right direction, but its still in one piece, too bad truggy racing is kinda dead around me, all about the ebuggy for now!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

for you lazy fools still trying to keep this junk together ... hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF801XT-img_20170321_115025.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

just picked up one of these as a roller with the rcmonster e conversion kit and the thing is awesome, I picked up the xray arms and kyosho mp9 knuckles and hubs like suggested by The Wrench just as backups. I think between this thread and the similar one at Ultimate rc I'm not too worried about figuring out replacement parts ...

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
The drivetrain on this truck is good, but the rest is mostly very poor quality. The arms are of course the main weak point. But the shock towers and shocks are also quite bad.

It was definitely worth a 100 bucks though..

If there were a good solid easy arm solution I'd be a lot happier about having mine plus one spare kit as a backup.... The overall experience of having the truck would be much, much better.
when I built mine a couple of years ago, some guys were boiling the stock arms to make them a little more flexible and it helped a lot with breakage according to their experience. Me personally, I bought the short arms/shafts as soon as I could because they would go out of stock in a heartbeat. And now they don't seem to be available at all.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Blew my rear ring and pinion and was able to replace with the kyosho st-rr evo ring and pinion mounted to stock diff works perfectly
Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

I boiled my first set of arms and it made no difference.

I still run mine though for messing around. I wouldn't use it for big air or anything. But again, for the money it's been great. I have a whole spare kit and a few arms left over. So it does the job…
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Does anyone has an extra motor mount conversion for sale?
or any suggestion where to get it.
Thank you.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

For brushless? I got the cheap one from Kershaw. I think it's basically just an Integy conversion for an AE RC8... I don't race or do anything too extreme, but it has held up really well.. No issues in a couple years and dozens of packs through it.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

So, I don't even know anymore when I got them, but back when they were being sold off for $99, I got two. The first I built and converted to brushless(see above I guess..), and the second has been sitting in the garage for..... what, five years? Anyway, after taking my Associated fleet (RC8T, SC8, RC8B)* and LST2 a couple weeks ago, I got the bug to build the second kit. I have tons of tires, couple spare engines, etc etc... still. What I don't have is servos. I may just throw some cheap RTR Losi servos in there. All I plan to to is race around on a parking lot.. Very happy with the simple red paint job though..

Gonna' drop my RB Fire 11 with 2058 in it... BEASTY...

* Here's my recent outing with the AE fleet. The cars are like 10 years old, and the fuel must be at least five.. I've been taking them out basically once a year to just see if they still run. And amazingly, they do... I love nitro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.