Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF801XT

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have too much drive to the front wheels then normally going up in centre diff oil evens out the distribution and makes it more 4WD.

If the front are ballooning and it is raising too much, then increase the centre oil. I normally run 10k for nitro. But I have read that with electric conversion it should be higher due to the instant acceleration. Maybe try 15k or 20k?

Just a thought, hope it helps
Scott
Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Talking Father & Daughter TRF801xt Project

Hi Guys. Just bought from Tam USA a 801xt (scratch & dent) kit and ordered the update parts (new arms, drive shafts and shock mounts) seperately. Started the build yesterday with my youngest daughther. We only finished the the rear section of the Xt and the build is looking awesome. I did most of the wrenching so she could observe how to do it. Next build session she will be in charge of the assembly since we're done with the F/R diffs. I just hope this kit level does not overwhelm her. If it does, I'll get her Tamiya's entry level kit this year......and for the Xt.....well.....I guess I'll keep it........lol.... My daughter also want's to try electric if she finds nitro too much to handle so I said we can convert my Kyosho IGT2 to BL later this year so she and I can play during the cold months.

"I love it when a plan comes together"........I'm back to playing with by BIG toys again but now I have a co-pilot...my daughter...and it's AWESOME.

Later.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Let's revive this thread. I wonder if anyone else is going to race their 801xT this upcoming season. I have a feeling I'll be the lone ranger waiving the blue flag in my neck of the woods. I plan on racing it in the Roar's Region 2 Point Series.

Here are some pictures of my 801xT. I installed the buggy parts to tilt the engine, servo, and center diff/linkages and the light weight chassis to reduce the weight. I also have the buggy steering knuckles and c-hubs and will switch out to those if more steering is needed. I'm heading down to Awesome RC this weekend for for an event that they are hosting with Alan Burton @ 'The Speed Shop'.

Tamiya TRF801XT-angled.jpg
Tamiya TRF801XT-side.jpg
Tamiya TRF801XT-top.jpg
Tamiya TRF801XT-starter.jpg
Tamiya TRF801XT-body.jpg
Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Looks good Double Green! I know the feeling of being the only "REFINED" cars on the track! I run the same Werks power its insane but the 801xT can handle every bit of it! I have not raced it just put 5-6 tanks thru in practice. This weekend I will run it tho and let you all know how it goes.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

I'm really looking forward to getting this truggy out on the race track. I'll do my best to provide a run down on how the truggy worked after this weekend. It's good to know there will be someone else that I can bounce setup ideas with. I'm almost done with breaking in my B5 now. I'm still running tad rich and it still screams.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Once again I was the only Tamiya running at the track this weekend (pretty sure there is maybe one or two others in the UK), and it was dialed!!
I haven't changed my setup majorly since about july last year, and it is amazing everywhere. It out turns pretty much anything (I have narrowed it a lot thought), but is still stable enough to be pushed hard when needed.
I was instantly fast from the first qualifier, never dropping lower than 2nd all through the day (qualifying or final). I TQ'd the event, definately turning some heads on the way.
In the final, I started well, and managed win by one and a half laps, only making 4 mistakes in the 30 minute final. The car was super composed, and I loved every minute of driving it.
Very impressed after a year of abuse, I don't think I have broken anything except a few diff rings (and hence gears). Very glad I chose this, and now onto the first round of the nationals this weekend. Replacing all parts I have new one of, so hopefully I can bring home another great result for Tamiya!!

Scott
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Great job!! I'm new to offroad so I'll be happy with getting it around the track and tackling the jumps without breaking anything. Would you mind elaborating further about your issues with the ring gear? Do you suspect anything at this point (i.e. improper use of shims, bad mesh with pinion gear, etc)? Replacing the ring gear in the middle of the race event would be a major PITA.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I haven't heard about any problems with the diffs in the truck. The buggy you have to shim the sun gear or it will cause issues. Let us know so we can check ours out!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

All I found was the standard metal ring that holds the diff clams together could snap under stress/flex and then the clams would open and the mesh would be ruined.
Although this is not a problem with the new blue metal rings.
If you are to use the standard rings, I would suggest wedging an M4 nut in between the ring and the bulkhead in the rear. After I did this I did not break any more.

As long as the skimming is good the diffs are bulletproof after doing this. However I would suggest the new blue rings.

Sorry for scaring you all :P

Scott
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lazyboy12300
All I found was the standard metal ring that holds the diff clams together could snap under stress/flex and then the clams would open and the mesh would be ruined.
Although this is not a problem with the new blue metal rings.
If you are to use the standard rings, I would suggest wedging an M4 nut in between the ring and the bulkhead in the rear. After I did this I did not break any more.

As long as the skimming is good the diffs are bulletproof after doing this. However I would suggest the new blue rings.

Sorry for scaring you all :P

Scott
They Tamiya p/n 1025 is a must have. This part was designed due to my input. Im kinda rough on stuff. When the stock cast aluminum ring cracks, it takes the ring and pinion out. As a bonus, the replacement looks sweet.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Tech Regular

Do you mean this part?:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1025

If so, do you know where it's available (in Europe?)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

never had ring gear problems
the new ring does add more color tho +1

only problem i had was with the arms
but the shortened arms should fix that
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan
Do you mean this part?:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...roduct-id=1025

If so, do you know where it's available (in Europe?)
Yes, thats the part. Not sure if or where in Europe. www.speedtechrc.com is where to get them in the US, they ship internationally.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

I ordered mine from Speedtech, very good delivery, within 1 week.

The standard rings were good once I wedged an M4 nut in. Before I did this, I was breaking one most weekends
Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Here we go!

New to RC racing all together and the 801xt is my first ever rc car other than the goofy ones i had as a kid. Spent the last few hours reading all yalls posts and have already bought the shorter arms and drives. Will be converting to brushless tho ...not to upset the nitro heads -=). Thank you all for all the great info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.