Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF801XT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Can somebody recommend a decent servo? Back in the day I was able to buy used Savox 1256s for about €40 apiece. Want to pay about the same for a couple halfway decent servos for this.. But don't need to be new or high end or HV or whatever.. Just something cheap and solid.. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

Anybody know what other bodies could fit?

My RC8T bodies are way off...
Old 05-05-2020, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to run a Mugen body on mine
Old 05-06-2020, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Can somebody recommend a decent servo? Back in the day I was able to buy used Savox 1256s for about €40 apiece. Want to pay about the same for a couple halfway decent servos for this.. But don't need to be new or high end or HV or whatever.. Just something cheap and solid.. Thanks.
Check out the Blue bird range - I have a pair of one of my GTs which are untouched for almost 3 years now, of weekly running
Old 05-06-2020, 02:12 AM
Tech Champion

Which one specifically?

I have an old Mugen MBX5T body I think I used to run on my LST2, and it doesn't fit. The Tamiya is very wide on the bottom... I guess I can just browse this thread...

Anybody still running one of these?

I just replaced my motor, and everything is fine and good again...
Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Pretty, but won't last long...

Old 05-07-2020, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Pretty, but won't last long...

that looks sick, oh man does an old part of me wanna pull out all my old trf801 8 scale stuff. Loved that truck cause back then I drove it and always messed about with stuff. It can be a great truck forsure!

Cool mod:

put the buggy rear tower upfront on the truggy! play with shocks that work, it can feel a little better then using super shorty tamiya front shocks, I even think the buggy rear shocks work better on the truggy front!

Last edited by Matt Piva; 05-07-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

My front shocks broke a long time ago. I have old skinny RC8 shocks on it, and they work great.. They don't have the "big bore" cool factor or whatever, but I don't care. They work...

I only use this truck for blasting around on pavement primarily. It will be the same with the new nitro I just built up.. (still waiting on this moronic shop on ebay to send my servos, nearly two weeks later... )

Quality is definitely not super high. I think I have some bending in the shock towers, and yeah, just some of the blue anodized stuff is not up to par. I have to give credit to the drivetrain though - the diffs have held up great. Definitely can't beat it for the $99 I paid for each of them.. The main worries I guess are breaking a wing mount from wheelying the brushless, and yeah, eventually maybe a new body would be nice. For my - admittedly simple - purposes, it's been great..
Old 05-09-2020, 03:45 AM
Tech Champion

Servos finally showed up. Brand new kit...

Totally old engine, not used in five years at least.. One Start, three Tanks, no need to touch any needle at all... I was amazed.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Servos finally showed up. Brand new kit...

Totally old engine, not used in five years at least.. One Start, three Tanks, no need to touch any needle at all... I was amazed.

https://youtu.be/g9Od0Nk9d6U
looks awesome man. Glad you got it running, what servos did you end up going with?
Old 05-09-2020, 04:52 AM
Tech Champion

Amewi brand something or other. Waterproof(not important), alu housing, 0.14 sec at 6V, and 21ish kg I think.. €25ish apiece. Good enough for blasting around a parking lot..

The Argus doesn't have the top end of my other engines - but man that was about the smoothest running quick nitro session ever. Just started and kept purring with not a blip.. I may try my #1 engine - an RB Fire 11 with 2058 - at some point.. Right now though, I don't want to yank that engine given that it runs so damn well.. Really crazy - been in a plastic bag for five years..(or more..)

Was really great to build up a brand new truggy kit. I want to do it again...

How's your Novarossi LST coming along? 'Bout time for a video of it screaming at WOT, or?

Last edited by Herrsavage; 05-09-2020 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Amewi brand something or other. Waterproof(not important), alu housing, 0.14 sec at 6V, and 21ish kg I think.. €25ish apiece. Good enough for blasting around a parking lot..

The Argus doesn't have the top end of my other engines - but man that was about the smoothest running quick nitro session ever. Just started and kept purring with not a blip.. I may try my #1 engine - an RB Fire 11 with 2058 - at some point.. Right now though, I don't want to yank that engine given that it runs so damn well.. Really crazy - been in a plastic bag for five years..(or more..)

Was really great to build up a brand new truggy kit. I want to do it again...

How's your Novarossi LST coming along? 'Bout time for a video of it screaming at WOT, or?
it literally sounded perfect in the video man, congrats. I’m gonna have to build a kit someday, probably a Mugen buggy or something. I’m always looking I just never pulled the trigger. Keep that RB forever, truly classic engines. I don’t know if you remember my last post on my thread, but I snapped the output shaft in the tranny straight up in half, which is why my tranny outdrives weren’t screwing on properly or even working. So far I’ve installed the forward only conversion, I’m still waiting for the new output shaft to come in the mail. My two speed shift hubs on the spurs, both bearings were shot on that assembly(still shifted though) so I’m waiting on those also. Once I get those parts installed I’ll continue break in. I scored a brand new lst fuel tank, already have that installed.and I replaced the washers on the high speed needle housing(per novarossi if you move the high speed needle fuel nipple, you must replace the washers) so I’m hoping that helps the engine run better. I also noticed the nova came installed with a cold on-road plug,,ripped that right out and installed a novarossi ct06 off-road medium plug.i have no doubts I’ll be able to get my engine running better with all these changes.cant wait to rebuild and rip again
Old 05-09-2020, 05:34 AM
Tech Champion

Nice. Looking forward to it..

I have way too much Associated stuff around, but if I were going to get a new kit I'd probably get a Mugen. I assume they have the same reputation for awesomness they did back when I was more into the scene 5+ years ago. X-ray and Serpent do too, but they are smaller scale so I'd be worried about availability. Mugen is pretty ubiquitous though. Man I'd love to build a Mugen kit. And get a nice Nova engine from novarossidirect. Probably an Elite but maybe a Bonito or whatever is fastest for under 200 bucks.. I want a buggy.. A massively overpowered buggy with a maniacal totally psychotic top end...

Maybe I should try to track down an old RC8.2, and then get a Bonito in it or something. I love seeing buggies which are ludicrously overpowered...
Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

From memory it was the PL Bulldog for the MBX6T I used on mine.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Well, it finally happened - the front diff blew.. Opened it up, and silver particles everywhere. Probably both the main gear and the pinion too.

Which begs the question.... What can I use for a replacement? The pinion is spiral cut.. I have a bunch of Associated and Thunder Tiger and even LST2 diffs. Not sure if any of them are similar or not. I am assuming not - but will check tomorrow.. Anybody know what diffs would work as direct replacements? Thanks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.