Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

GREGORY!
The washers on the steering tie rods is the perfect fix. I never really realized how much bump steer affects the handling so much. Tonite I was on fire. Tore up all the rc8's and losi's on the track. I love this forum for info.

Chuck
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

how are the bce chassis?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

mugenlife,
I have the R model, there is a extended chassis that is out now to. I like it. Made the car a little more rigid for less flex. Fit is perfect. It handles alot better on rough track and is more predicable.

Chuck
Old 05-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cbaranski
GREGORY!
The washers on the steering tie rods is the perfect fix. I never really realized how much bump steer affects the handling so much. Tonite I was on fire. Tore up all the rc8's and losi's on the track. I love this forum for info.

Chuck
Glad it hear it worked out for you.

Last edited by ezveedub; 05-18-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Starter Box Pad

Hey guys whats the name of that company or can somebody give me a link to where I can buy that starter box pad for the 5R? I thought it was TKO but it doesnt come up when i do search for it. Help a brotha out
Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well...it doesnt "look" pretty from the picture, but I've recently seen this on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mugen-Prospec-MB...2em118Q2el1247

...but you didnt hear it from me
Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ran my 5r for the second time. i felt more comfortable wheeling it but not as comfortable as i was with my jammin. i think 1 or 2 more weekend and ill be better then i was with my jammin. i love the way i can throw this buggy into a corner and peg the throttle and it turns or i can lay into it and hit the brakes and it still turns. im liking this buggy more and more... next hop up for it is the bce extended chassis
Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Tech Addict

the plates are available from carolinasrc well at least they were not sure if they still are but my m8 got one from there a while ago, they work ok but he was a little unimpressed with the slop between the chassis and the plate there was some sideways movement which kinda defeats the object of it really.

anyone got a link for bce chassis ? sorted found it eventually

just in case http://www.rcracingparts.com/index.htm

Last edited by slow coach; 05-20-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hi all,
can someone more experienced with setup of the MBX5R then myself please answer a couple questions please as i am trying to set my buggy to the stock settings..

the first question..

In the MBX5R instructions it says to use one 2mm spacer on the front of the pin on the Front suspension upper arm and two 1mm spacers at the back end of the pin. Though the setup sheet says to use 1mm spacer for the Upper arm spacer only.

If I just use 1mm spacer it leaves 2mm of un-used or un-spaced pin which will allow the upper arm to slide back and forth.

What is the correct position and number of spacers to be used here?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

adjusting the spacer in front and behind the upper arm are adjust your caster but dont leve any gap to allower the arm to slop back and forth having the arm more forward gives more positive caster which is good for slow speed corners and less space is better on high speed corners there is no set recommended amout just play around to find what best suits your driving style and track layout just dont let the arm slap back and forth
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 AM
Tech Adept

thankyou for the explanation cheers. though i am still confused by what they want in the setup sheet.

Do they want 1mm spacer at the back of the pin and 2mm at the front which is opposite to what the book shows...?

also the rear arm spacer on the setup sheet says 0mm. does that mean no spacers in the rear?

i will exeriment this weekend but for now i want it exactly like the setup sheet as this buggy is new and it will be a good starting point..

here is the settings sheet

http://www.mugenseiki.com/mbx5r-setu...0601kitstd.pdf

referring to upper arm spacer= 1mm (front)
and
Lower arm spacer= 0mm (rear)
Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

If u want the bone stock set uphave 1mm spacer infront and fill the gap behind with left over spacers should be a 2/3mm gap dont worry bout the book is just for show refer to the setup sheet (one provided with link)
now for the rear arm i had the same issue when i first built my buggy but all i did is do the hidge pin up reel tight so there is min slop as u can, the plastic arm infront of the diff kinda bends a little i still run no spacer back there now but have slight play it didnt worry me to much the play in nothing just be able to wiggle it a little bit like half a mm back and forth just dont do it up to tight the arm will bind
Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

thanks again for your reply.

i followed the setup sheet. i guess it just confused me because they stated one side of the pin 1mm without telling me about the other side.

I now have 1mm on the back side of the upper arm and 2mm at the front as shown on the sheet... (you said the other way around so i just went off the sheet. just a different way of say front/back?) I said back side meaning the side closer to the rear of the buggy where the nut it screwed on the pin.

I also have 0mm on the front side of the rear lower arm and tried using no spacer at the back which would have been fine but there is no difference in putting the 1mm spacer at the back side of the pin so i did. saves stressing the plastic i guess...

I also had the wheel hub uprights using the wrong pin hole (i was using the top hole now using the bottom so no hub is left hanging low)
also again i had all the spacers at the hub upright pin on the front side. I now have 1.5mm each side which centers the hub which i think has been shown on the setup sheet.

I completed the buggy at about 2am so i can forgive myself for stuffing these things up
Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Hey Guys
what are some tricks you guys are doing to lighten the car up??
any hop ups??? option parts??? I do fairly well with the car as it is but
think it could be a little lighter.
thanks
MO
Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.