Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dissecting buggies and their performance. >

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree43Likes

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mlax
Since when is HB Pillow Ball? Pretty sure Ronnefalk won a thing or two last year....
Like I said almost all important events were won by a PBS let’s review
Montepellie GP: PBS,mugen
DNC: C-hub, HB and not by much
Neo: PBS, mugen
Roar nats: PBS, Xray
E-roar nats: PBS , mugen
PHM: PBS, AE
E-Euros: PBS, Xray
Euros: PBS, Xray
SS: PBS
WC: PBS, AE
I don’t have bias towards any platform just stating facts

Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Kyosho is now not one of the "biggest brands" I guess.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricardo_d99

So the DNC was the only close race out of all of these?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Big Will
Kyosho is now not one of the "biggest brands" I guess.
Like I specify on there I’m just taking about the brands with PBS cars because that specific suspension had the most success in 2018, and i stated that if people were Interested , I could do a analysis of the brands with C-hub suspension.
It had the closes finish of them all for sure it was something like .300 or .400’s of second .
Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Let’s recap 2018…
If you guys are interested on reading about the other cars and companies let me know.
Ricardo, please do !
That was interesting to me :-)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Very much enjoying the info on different buggies.i have had different buggies since the Hot Bodies Lightning and it seems other than geometry changes and different size shock changes there are so many changes just to sell product. It seems like track surface type and improved tires have been the biggest changes.I know that all the details make the biggest difference.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I have a question as well on this... How do you call this C Hub thing on real cars 1:1 scale ?
Not being sarcastic at all but honestly I literally browsed the web for quite some time and absolutely couldn't find a real car with that type of suspension.
They all have ball joints on the arms (one bottom on top arm) whether racing cars, F1, or sedans... a PBS.
The only type that comes "closer" are some trucks which have solid axles...
Either I'm not searching the right terms or there's no such things as C hubs on real cars ?!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by shannow
Well I have a question as well on this... How do you call this C Hub thing on real cars 1:1 scale ?
Not being sarcastic at all but honestly I literally browsed the web for quite some time and absolutely couldn't find a real car with that type of suspension.
They all have ball joints on the arms (one bottom on top arm) whether racing cars, F1, or sedans... a PBS.The only type that comes "closer" are some trucks which have solid axles...
Either I'm not searching the right terms or there's no such things as C hubs on real cars ?!
Ive built c hub style sand rail buggy(offroad 1:1 buggys) front hubs a couple of times... usually its because the buggy wont be doing jumps(chub has limits on down travel) and people request it.. its expensive.. more parts and there has to be something to support the knuckle.

we stopped making them because they used to wear very fast with bushing top and bottom to support the pivot pins. They cannot handle the big offroad stuff long.

it works "ok" in rc because you can get away with plastic hub and a metal bushing wearing the plastic. An example of all of this is kyoshos alloy front hubs. The metal wears the alloy really quick and then knuckle hits it often aswell then theres the hinge pin issue which MR JQ fixed with the grub screws(sorry but he can design a good car)

Rc buggys dont use parts for very long or whole cars are not kept more than a couple of years so its basically a non issue

The two styles handle differently. Mugen has it very refined for PBS and kyosho has the CHUB design really well for performance(wears silly quick though)

pivot balls should almost always handle bumps better due to the all in one design.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shannow
They all have ball joints on the arms (one bottom on top arm) whether racing cars, F1, or sedans... a PBS.The only type that comes "closer" are some trucks which have solid axles...
Ford Revoknuckle is a bit like C hub, albeit mounted on a macpherson strut. Balance between unsprung mass , packaging brakes etc and minimising hub level and ground level offset.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Now lets cover the brands with c-hub geometry… lets start

Kyosho: this next year for kyosho is going be an interesting one, because tebo is gone to tekno… wait tekno…tebo..tekno..tebo… it was mean to be lol.. back to it this is something I think tebo needed to bring back that fire in him that was gone.

And to replace him is CJ jelin a young talent that can be taken very far if he was the right team behind, because the ability is there.

Now lets talk about the mp10 but first lets go back to the mp9, in 2018 it was clear the mp9 could no longer hang with the others at least with the team setup and it was clear the team guys were no longer driving the car but rather battling it around a track and now with this mp10 there will be two sides of the spectrum some will love it and some will hate , first of all the mp10 is evolution rather than a revolution, but something that was needed nonetheless and will be interested to see how the top guys will perform.

HB racing: apparently this year there wont be any major changes team wise, David keeps going strong with them and the team keeps growing.

About the d817 v2, this year on WC’s the team were using some prototype shorter rear arms with wider C & D blocks which in theory would help the car rotate better and drift/ break rear traction easier so this might mean a 819 is coming.

TLR: team wise they’re going unchanged with tanner, Dakota and reno.

About the car, now this were TLR decide to scrap the original 8ight platform and came out with the X which marketing wise is great because they can build up hype and they will probably have more sales than if they just updated the older car. What is yet to be seen is whether this new platform actually performance better than the older one and our first impression of the car was at the roar nats and they weren’t very good but the more recent ones have been better also the car has undergone some modifications which look like they help the car handle properly.

Agama: this year could be a good for them with ryan lutz on the USA this for sure will help them build a customer base and put their car on the more Amain finals. on the European side its quite blurry for me because at the beginning there was bloomfield but he retire or something like that and now they have the bullik brothers which are slowly but surely climing the ladder on charts, also they have lee martin running their chassis under infinity but still they don’t have a top European guy but regardless this year for sure will be good for them.

About the A215sv , supposedly there’s a new car coming soon so lets see what that brings to the table, the previous cars seem quite good with a lot of potential but then again there was no top guy to explode that potential it had.

Tekno: well this year they got tebo and a new car so those two together might be a good thing apart from that, I don’t see any major changes that could affect the brand.

Now about their new car , the last car had a lot of issues to start with and by the looks of it the new has the same problems , the most substantial being where the shocks mount on the arms make the car not roll naturally and at times making the car too stiff through rough terrain but then again lets seen what they bring to the table maybe they’ll figure what to do to make it right.

if anyone is interested on a more technical analysis of each car I could do that and maybe my good friend @30tooth can pop in and clarify any questions anyone has.
AntH3000, jersey and BenPetz like this.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:54 PM
JQ
Tech Master

Yes, but you also have to look at the fact that Ongaro, Battle, Maifield, Rivkin, Cavalieri, Canas, Tessmann, Coelho all run PBS. That makes a difference too. There are more top drivers running pbs than chub.
mtbkym01 and AntH3000 like this.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JQ
Yes, but you also have to look at the fact that Ongaro, Battle, Maifield, Rivkin, Cavalieri, Canas, Tessmann, Coelho all run PBS. That makes a difference too. There are more top drivers running pbs than chub.
thats right and this is becoming something like formula 1 where everyone runs the same base with slight differences to suit their design philosophy, btw I forgot JQ so I will leave here....

JQ: by the looks of it they have a great team atmosphere and JQ is the only brand that their designer is actually reachable for their customer base unlike other brands, also where they shine is on setup development they're always updating their team setups and looking for every millisecond they can get, sometimes all of this gets over shadow by his personal believes but hey!! everyone is entitle to their own opinion and no body is perfect.

now about THE CAR, like I said before they're always coming up with team setups and this good for the averages Joe that doesn't know
how to setup but wants to go fast, theoretically speaking the BE is the most correct car of all and thats why its soo good this doesn't mean is perfect, still has some issue but JQ knows them.
AntH3000 likes this.

Last edited by Ricardo_d99; 01-08-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wish others would follow suit of JQ and provide setup sheets more often! Some may not be able to use the exact same setup, but its nice to see what is being done so we can try it!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
I wish others would follow suit of JQ and provide setup sheets more often! Some may not be able to use the exact same setup, but its nice to see what is being done so we can try it!
As Kanai recently said for the MP10: please use the manual as the base setup and work from there. There’s a perception if you run a pro drivers setup then it’s better. Maybe but maybe not. For WRC guys they focus on tires, dampers and diffs. All boring stuff but big potential gains. Caster? Meh. Camber? Doesn’t really change. RC tend to focus on the minutiae because it’s there but the gains are % on %.. Attempting to create multiple setups that will suit drivers (the most important performance ingredient) and the tracks is virtually impossible.

This link is pretty cool..... but JQ also has done a huge amount to progress RC and his brand.

https://rcgarage.info/SetupWizard

Old 01-10-2019, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matty A

As Kanai recently said for the MP10: please use the manual as the base setup and work from there. There’s a perception if you run a pro drivers setup then it’s better. Maybe but maybe not. For WRC guys they focus on tires, dampers and diffs. All boring stuff but big potential gains. Caster? Meh. Camber? Doesn’t really change. RC tend to focus on the minutiae because it’s there but the gains are % on %.. Attempting to create multiple setups that will suit drivers (the most important performance ingredient) and the tracks is virtually impossible.

This link is pretty cool..... but JQ also has done a huge amount to progress RC and his brand.

https://rcgarage.info/SetupWizard

yeah there is that perception that pro setups are good for averages joe and honestly that depends on your driving style mostly and what handling characteristics the pro is setting up the car to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.