Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stock" TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Change stock to 21.5. It will slow it down enough that the fast 17.5 guys will move to super stock and actually make it a class. Stock should also exclude sponsored drivers.

21.5 stock
13.5 super stock
Open mod
Old 04-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBLove
Change stock to 21.5. It will slow it down enough that the fast 17.5 guys will move to super stock and actually make it a class. Stock should also exclude sponsored drivers.

21.5 stock
13.5 super stock
Open mod
As has been mentioned a couple of times, that is the exact class structure we have over here on Australia. And fundamentally (although most of our tracks are probably a bit larger than the USA norm) they work very well.
Speed differential between the classes it about right for the average track, with generally a second or two split between classes on a per lap basis.
21.5 blinky is also a good beginner class. At the local track we have a novice heat, and the two guys who have only been running a short while are clearly making good improvements each week, and that's the motor they run. Works well, IMO.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

21.5 stock
13.5 super stock
Open mod
Makes sense to me.... in the brushed-era the main classes were 27t, 19t, & Mod. TC these days is mostly concentrated on 17.5 . 13.5? In most situations a boosted 13.5 would be more than good enough for mod, at least on the club level.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There have been several attempts at an intermediate class, and almost all have failed. In the brushed days a local track had a 19 turn class. I personally witnessed a heat where every car didn't finish due to motors failing (overheating). The gearing and timing were pushed beyond the limit, and losing a motor for most racers was a weekly occurrence.

On the national scene it should be 17.5 and open, nothing else. Local tracks should come up with their own slower class (USGT, VTA, heck I know of a track that runs Tamiya TT01's!)

Another comment, I think the recent downturn in racers has more to do with factors outside of RC (economy, etc) than the classes we're running. Racing RC cars will always be fun, but there are many other distractions out there.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

21.5 stock
13.5 super stock
Open mod
Why must stock be slowed down? Everyone in this thread makes it seem like you should be able to jump out into stock your very first time touching a rc car and expect to keep up. Here's the sad truth to that, it has never and will never happen! Stock too fast? Get a vta car, because at some point or another, we all raced a slow class, most of us got our start that way. When I first learned what this hobby was all about back in 2000, I knew buying a touring car and trying to run with the stock tc guys wouldn't have worked out in my favor. I'd crash, get in their way, crash again, get in their way some more, and so on and so forth. So you know what I did? I bought a tamiya TL01 and ran novice for 6 months. After I learned what driving lines were and how to tune the suspension (I had a super decked out TL01 after a few months), I decided to buy an entry level tc and the slowest 27.5 I could. And progressed up the ladder from there.

This hobby is about progression. Not a single pro or club champ picked up the radio one day and was as fast as they are now. If the 17.5 is too fast for you, you can do one of three things; 1. Complain like you are now, and get nowhere with it. 2. Turn down the epa on the radio and gradually inch your way up to full speed. 3. Run a slower class.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Personally I'll be trying to switch to mod as fast as I comfortably can. For a few reasons.

• Difference in 17.5 motors is crazy (certified, 1% of the certified, etc)
• Open check books in stock (Mod motors eliminate some of this)
• Even chassis to some extent can be older (again horsepower helps)
• The median driver is more experience (no more getting taken out by the slow guys - I'll be the slower guy. However I am more courteous than others)

Sure there is some reasons I'm not remembering.

Disadvantage is tires. Be going through probably more of them than I do in stock. And losing. I'm not going to be leading any mod race anytime soon not to mention barely anyone runs mod at our local club races.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by homerthefourth
Personally I'll be trying to switch to mod as fast as I comfortably can. For a few reasons.

• Difference in 17.5 motors is crazy (certified, 1% of the certified, etc)
• Open check books in stock (Mod motors eliminate some of this)
• Even chassis to some extent can be older (again horsepower helps)
• The median driver is more experience (no more getting taken out by the slow guys - I'll be the slower guy. However I am more courteous than others)

Sure there is some reasons I'm not remembering.

Disadvantage is tires. Be going through probably more of them than I do in stock. And losing. I'm not going to be leading any mod race anytime soon not to mention barely anyone runs mod at our local club races.
Im happy to see this. Many of your points hold true. It takes a while to get the hang of mod but once you do, it becomes super rewarding.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Suspended

21.5 stock
13.5 super stock
Open mod
I am starting to agree with this more and more.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
Im happy to see this. Many of your points hold true. It takes a while to get the hang of mod but once you do, it becomes super rewarding.
It's a challenge and something to work towards.

Especially since most drivers I know while they are fast in mod, comparatively to the overall field they are not as fast as they are in stock. It's almost anyone's race.

The motors are crazy in stock. I picked up some motors lightly used from a gentleman that, while they are not the top 1%, they are (I believe) hand picked and set aside for specific individuals. I pull everyone down the straight. They are fast. Noticeably fast. BUT still not as fast as the factory guys. It's racing and part of the game. But knowing that there is an overwhelming chance they no matter what race you show up at (even being able to drive at the highest level) you will never make the A with the guys that get the top 1% of 17.5 motors kinda chaps the rear end. And even if you spend the cash to get the top 10% motors.. there's still the top 1% of that 10% you will never see unless you have a hookup. It's racing but you know.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

I am starting to agree with this more and more.
I'm also starting to come around to this if we didn't use a points system and certification to force drivers to move up like many other competitive racing sports.

Stock will be too slow for most to be interesting and that in itself will push the fast guys up. Also not being sponsored is a good point. While subjective could work. Most of the guys at our track run 13.5 and mod. Then when a big race comes drop and run stock. Which this should fix. *edit - while fix means it's a problem what I really mean is it should foster a more competitive environment rather than having the pro or the open checkbook guy that can wheel the ability to roll in and dominate just because.

I'm still all for a driver license type points system that pushes people up and gives the new comers something to work towards. Wouldn't that be sweet? Add legitimacy by having a license to race cars. A huge database with ranking of everyone. You can see how you compare on paper. Could be awesome.

Last edited by homerthefourth; 04-08-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Suspended

The motors are crazy in stock. I picked up some motors lightly used from a gentleman that, while they are not the top 1%, they are (I believe) hand picked and set aside for specific individuals. I pull everyone down the straight. They are fast. Noticeably fast. BUT still not as fast as the factory guys. It's racing and part of the game. But knowing that there is an overwhelming chance they no matter what race you show up at (even being able to drive at the highest level) you will never make the A with the guys that get the top 1% of 17.5 motors kinda chaps the rear end. And even if you spend the cash to get the top 10% motors.. there's still the top 1% of that 10% you will never see unless you have a hookup. It's racing but you know.
I dont agree with this. I won the carpet nats in 12 with a motor I bought out of the hobby shop. Same as the 13 birds. Motor was borrowed, but the guy i borrowed it from got it in the hobby shop. If your car is dialed in and you are driving well, you can make the A-main without a 1% motor. Dont let the "team" or "factory team" labels scare you from thinking you cant make an A main. They all eat, breath, and shit just like you.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

I dont agree with this. I won the carpet nats in 12 with a motor I bought out of the hobby shop. Same as the 13 birds. Motor was borrowed, but the guy i borrowed it from got it in the hobby shop. If your car is dialed in and you are driving well, you can make the A-main without a 1% motor. Dont let the "team" or "factory team" labels scare you from thinking you cant make an A main. They all eat, breath, and shit just like you.
Very true. And a possibility.

Suppose it depends on the race who attends etc.. I've seen guys have the certified motors and I am faster. I've see guys that have slower motors and are faster than I am.

Just one of those things that with all other variables being the same it could be a big thing.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Very true. And a possibility.

Suppose it depends on the race who attends etc.. I've seen guys have the certified motors and I am faster. I've see guys that have slower motors and are faster than I am.

Just one of those things that with all other variables being the same it could be a big thing.
I've never lost at a BIG race due to Factory motors
In most cases they are even speed at best in terms of power
Do the homework with off-the-shelf-stuff, and you will be fine

Faster drivers are just better at their whole program

Obviously club racing where everything goes un-checked is a different story
Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nwagner
So instead of 3 diluted ROAR TC classes you want to bump it up to 5?

Splitting the largest class doesn't sound productive to me.
NO... I'm just saying that this is what works in our little part of the RC world.

21.5 stock
13.5 super stock
Open mod
+1

Our 13.5 Class is usually 2 full heats strong for our Club Race

Last edited by Maxxican; 04-08-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

It looks like the new ROAR rule on stators make sure that not one motor has an advantage with torque.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.