Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stock" TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
So in essence a lot of vague statements with nothing actionable to go with.

Here is my contribution: We need world peace. We need to end hunger.
+1, even though this will unfortunately never happen
Old 04-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

+1 spec tire also.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The box stock nitro comment made me think of another perspective.

We too had the same class and newbies had no issues with a 40+mph nitro car but newbies struggle with a much slower (top speed) electric car on the same track.

Why, power delivery and the instant acceleration down low of the electric car.

The suggestion I made earlier in this thread, softening the initial power making throttle control easier with a smaller rotor would be the best way to achieve this.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by erik_cortes
+1 spec tire also.
Control tyres are great for events but in particularly using crap "spec" tyres for club days is a mistake.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys, this is racing, for each winner there are a lot of losers and no new rule will ever change that!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for spec tire, club racers should vote on what tire everyone are willing to compromise to go thru the whole race series or entire race season.

It doesn’t matter which class you run, racing has never been cheap. This is what drives the beginner away and regular joe that has small budet for racing.

Making a class faster or slower will not help on this issue.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aoizip
+1 for spec tire, club racers should vote on what tire everyone are willing to compromise to go thru the whole race series or entire race season.

It doesn’t matter which class you run, racing has never been cheap. This is what drives the beginner away and regular joe that has small budet for racing.

Making a class faster or slower will not help on this issue.
Some regs can effect the cost, in the passed slower was cheaper but today with blinky stock costs more than MOD.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

A separate class for every driver so everyone wins~!

final answer
Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Guys, this is racing, for each winner there are a lot of losers and no new rule will ever change that!
+1

And I'll add to it. There's no budget in racing, someone will always outspent other, will always have the latest and greatest.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
A separate class for every driver so everyone wins~!

final answer
One class, open. Use whatever motor you are personally comfortable with.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Manufacturers most definitely drive the trends in RC. Not the RC masses. I will cut a few examples.

Mid motor b2wd buggy. When I got back into RC in summer of 2012, only a couple mid motor buggies existed. Of those even fewer were run in mid motor configuration. I bought a 22 and 22sct, set the, both up mm, was laughed at, had some difficultis with set up, but eventually found a good one. On my own with lost of trial and error. 2 years later it's almost impossible to find a rm set-up, even on slick tracks. Why... For one reason or another ALL the manufacturers decided around the same time to have their best drivers use mm at big events and poof, now it seems like where has this been all my life.

Now let's take our precious TC. WhenI got out of racing in 2005, TC was just on the backside of its peak. But it was still riding high because almost all major manufacturers were having their top tier drivers run it. As more drivers focused back on off road, so did the masses. Yes there were other factors, but many of those like tire wars plague 2wd buggy and even 1/8 buggy now and they show no signs of letting up. Why... Because theists what the big dogs run.

Finally there is SCT. UGH, I like the way my 22sct drove, but honestly hate it as a class.it is great for novice, but nothing else. It turns into a bash fest with balloon tires under expensive parachutes of bodies. But let me get to it. Traaxxas' the Bain of RC started off with these as a great, inexpensive way to have fun in the front yard ( I would say losi was about 8 years ahead of the game with the conversion for the xx4, but it was out of most price range and fragile, but this size is what 1/10 SCT should have been). Other manufacturers wanted to get in on the action so they produced some hastily made conversions. Some weren't all that bad. But what started as a "box stock" entry level class quickly turned into yet another money fueled high no class once the pros started driving it at high level events. Because what wins on Sunday sells on monday.

And that lat line sums up what is wrong with most forms of American racing. It's the individual , not the equipment that really won. But don't tell joe blow fanboy that. It's the car that won so he has to go get it so he can win with no practice and even less natural talent.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DamianW
Control tyres are great for events but in particularly using crap "spec" tyres for club days is a mistake.
Well, don't get crap spec tires.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by erik_cortes
Well, don't get crap spec tires.
Sure use Sorex then but it seems as though as soon as you add the word spec to tyres they are all crap and don't last.
Not just the rubber but the rims and often the inserts as well.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxican
At my local track we have run the following format for many years and seems to be working. These are only the TC classes we also have Mini GT VTA and Pan car.

But i do agree that 17.5 is way too fast now... if it was up to me i would change all the 17.5 classes to 21.5. That way there is more of a gap in lap times.

Novice TC [17.5 Blinky]

Sportsman TC [17.5 Blinky No Sponsored Drivers.]

Intermediate TC [17.5 Blinky Open Drivers]

Expert Super Stock [13.5 Blinky Expert Drivers Only]

MOD [Expert Drivers Only]

Not to open another can of worms but i think we should have spec tires and tire rules for ALL TC Racing. The manufacturer does not matter as long as its a pre-mount and anyone can get it. One new set per race day. i see the fast guys spending $$$$$$ and running a new set of tires every run.
So instead of 3 diluted ROAR TC classes you want to bump it up to 5?

Splitting the largest class doesn't sound productive to me.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

It shouldnt even have to be this way in roar. Novice shouldn't even be allowed to run at roar events, but since they do do compete at roar events, it should be split into 5 classes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.