Wiki Posts
Search

"Stock" TC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
If you have different length races, and people are pushing the thermal limits as they are, then they are then even more likely to blow up during the mains as the gearing would have to be adjusted etc. (geared down) to prevent overheating.

How many motors would be killed before people actually found what works (and lasts).

We run 8 minute mains and 4 minute quals on our weekday races. I run generally the same gearing as I ran at Birds, and Nats ( some layouts may need slight variations) with no more heat generated, no more fall off, and yes easy runtime is not a problem..
Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
I have an idea, and I want to see what you guys think about this.

Has anyone noticed that the capacity (mAh) of the batteries we use keeps going up? Up to the point where racers are beginning to use smaller batteries to save weight?

What if we made races longer? And, someone tell me why in electric racing qualifiers are the same length as mains? Qualifiers should be 4 minutes long and mains should be 8-10 minutes long. This will make things more interesting, and longer racers make skill more important than motor.

When 1/12 scale first started oh so long ago, the race length was made 8 minutes because everyone knew your batteries would never last that long if you drove flat out. You had to plan your race strategy accordingly. We should go back to something like.

And before anyone says anything about overheating motors, there's an answer to that gear down!!!
Some of these principles seem to make sense. Longer mains - good idea (wouldn't mind seeing 10 minute mains in all classes)... Shorter qualifiers could shorten the time needed to run a program from beginning to end. While gearing down would slow things down a bit, I'm still in favor of a 21.5/13.5/Open class structure.

Last edited by oeoeo327; 04-09-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
If you have different length races, and people are pushing the thermal limits as they are, then they are then even more likely to blow up during the mains as the gearing would have to be adjusted etc. (geared down) to prevent overheating.

How many motors would be killed before people actually found what works (and lasts).
What's stopping people now from burning up motors looking to push that thermal limit?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
With this in mind why are people so dead set against a slower beginner TC class.
It's not so much that we're against it. It's more that this has been tried over and over again and it never works. Look through the annals of RC Tech and you can find threads just like this one started every year since Al Gore invented the internet!

Most people don't remember when the real "stock" began, and stock meant you couldn't do anything to the motor. At all. Can I changeNO!!! And this class was specifically designed to bring new people into the hobby. The big class was modified. But as the mod class got faster and faster, and the top drivers got better, some of the guys in stock started finding tricks to make their stock motor faster. They also found that they couldn't quite keep up in mod, but in stock they were top of the A every week. That's when the lie of "stock has nothing to do with skill level" started, and we've been in this boat ever since.

VTA and USGT are not beginner classes, but they can serve as such for some tracks, and since both classes have nationally recognized rules, racers can go to different tracks and run the same car. Not a perfect solution, but one that can work.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

In order to find a solution you first need to know what the problem is. I see no issue with the current stock tc rule. If stock tc is too fast you move to USGT or VTA. If stock tc is too slow you go to mod. There is nothing wrong with factory drivers racing in stock tc. It will only make all of us faster. Remember we get our setup and tips from them.

The real question is what caused the mass exodus from on road, especially in the midwest here? I remember a certain year at Trackside in Milwaukee when all of the tc racers just disappeared into thin air. So those racers that quit on road can you guys tell us why you are no longer racing touring cars? Was it cost, time or something else?

What do we do now to get more participation in on road racing? The options are there and the cost has never been cheaper but I still don't understand why on road racing is not picking up? I have a few ideas but I want to hear why others have to say first.

Last edited by v_squared; 04-09-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Midwest has strong on road showing. It always ebbs and flows and a lot of racing can be based around tracks, So with the change of trackside to off road you probably did see a decline locally. Though Harbor hobbies probably had a pickup in attendance at the same time. We are having great racing as our regular crowds continue to grow and on road remains strong just a couple hundred miles away in MN.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

It's nice to hear that on road is stills going strong in your area. There was a big drop in on road at Trakside that was why Scotty had not choice but to convert the track to off road.

Originally Posted by ammdrew
Midwest has strong on road showing. It always ebbs and flows and a lot of racing can be based around tracks, So with the change of trackside to off road you probably did see a decline locally. Though Harbor hobbies probably had a pickup in attendance at the same time. We are having great racing as our regular crowds continue to grow and on road remains strong just a couple hundred miles away in MN.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v_squared
In order to find a solution you first need to know what the problem is. I see no issue with the current stock tc rule. If stock tc is too fast you move to USGT or VTA. If stock tc is too slow you go to mod. There is nothing wrong with factory drivers racing in stock tc. It will only make all of us faster. Remember we get our setup and tips from them.

The real question is what caused the mass exodus from on road, especially in the midwest here? I remember a certain year at Trackside in Milwaukee when all of the tc racers just disappeared into thin air. So those racers that quit on road can you guys tell us why you are no longer racing touring cars? Was it cost, time or something else?

What do we do now to get more participation in on road racing? The options are there and the cost has never been cheaper but I still don't understand why on road racing is not picking up? I have a few ideas but I want to hear why others have to say first.
A lot of people left on-road when one run foams started showing up. Think it was double pink cut down to 54mm-55mm. You ran them once and then threw them away.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
What's stopping people now from burning up motors looking to push that thermal limit?
Nothing
But if you have different length races, you'll make a possible bad situation worse.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Read posts up to page 14 till I decided to comment and it might have been addressed already.

Leave USGT alone as it is a great close class just a tick slower than 17.5TC and its fairly cheap except for all the tungsten I had to buy to make weight.

Make Stock TC 13.5 and lower the weight 30 grams. It would spread the speed gap from USGT and I would struggle less to find a place to put weight on the Evo. LOL

Then you have full blown Mod and open esc timing min weight 1300g. As stated before you don't need the best batt or motor. I use 2 season old SMC 6500's and they work fine. I messed up last week and put in used pack from the previous round, made 4.5 minutes in that next mod heat before it hit the lvc. 10.5 min with a 4 turn using 2 year old batteries is pretty good/cheap if you ask me.

Jeremiah Ward #177
Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This ^. 10 - 12 min is about the max I think a race should be. USVTA mains are 8 and it's great. If your not that far behind, you have an opportunity to catch up. 8 minutes has been very beneficial to me in the past. Car was switched off in a collision in lap 2, turmashal fixed it and put it back on the track just as the leaders were coming around. It took all 8 minutes of an otherwise (unusually flawless) race, but I was able to catch back up to 3'rd and has a door to door for the last minute or so. The top two had checked out and were a couple laps up on the whole field.
In 2010 we were running 8 minute finals in 10.5T boosted (no motor cooling fan) no issues with overheating the motor or battery capacity. Most lipos at the time were 5000MAhr.

I ran 8 minutes in MOD with a 4.5T last year no issues with battery capacity or motor overheating.

My favorite aspect of nitro was the longer racers and there is no reason why we couldn't race longer today.

I would like to see the full use of our batteries. I remember the good ol' days of 4 minute mains and 1500 NiCd's being over $100, and you still worried about dumping on the last lap. How many people on here remember that?
1500's I started with 1200's but electric was super slow batteries were cheap until matched cells came along.

I am willing to guess that at least 1/2 the people on this thread started in RC after brushless and lipo were the norm. Say 2007 - 2008 time frame?
Most likely, locally electric was not overly popular locally as it was too expensive to run mod (round cell battery war) and stock + super stock was too slow. Nitro was very popular at the time, but noise restrictions and the introduction of Lipo and brushless moved a lot more racers to electric.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm still trying to decide if the "cooling fans war" is a real thing or an amusing troll attempt.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I'm still trying to decide if the "cooling fans war" is a real thing or an amusing troll attempt.
It is real, son !
Old 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Can confirm. Post-race inspection at a ROAR or other big event with big 17.5 and 13.5 turnout sounds like a Dyson convention.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Can confirm. Post-race inspection at a ROAR or other big event with big 17.5 and 13.5 turnout sounds like a Dyson convention.
That is funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.