Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

These are the GTB size compared to others like GTX, Sphere and Original SS5800 ESC......it is a little smaller then my current LRP V7.1, that is a PLUS for me already.........
Attached Thumbnails New Novak Brusless System-esc-size.jpg  
Old 06-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

In 4 cell oval, a Novak SS with 5800kv motor is almost identical in speed to a 19 turn brushed motor. With 6 cells it may very well be faster then that, but in 4 cell it isn't. The lower resistance of the GTB may indeed help this matter, but I'll beleive a 5800 is as fast as a 12 turn with 4.8 volts to it, when i see it and not a moment before that.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks Rookie-thats sweet.

So no capacitor and no external schottky I hope? Footprint I can deal with if you dont need to put a cap on it.

Most powerful brushed esc sounds good too. Too bad abut having to put three wires on one motor tab, but-heck-if the esc is faster on the clock-I'll deal with it.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Howard, wanna do some brushless now?...
I guess you will love brushless because the driving feeling is very much close to GP, free throttle and it will free roll, no drag brake (unless you setup in purpose). And most important, it's even easier than engine, no maintenance what so ever
Old 06-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

The GTB will have a Power Cap. A big one too. Its the same size as the GTX Cap. Power caps help performance even if they aren't needed.

We didn't run the 5.5 and the 6.5 at the Reedy Race. Our motors were a bit quicker. We estimate the 5.5 and the 6.5 to be around 9-10 turn power respectively.

The 6.5 and the 5.5 are available because some people will think the 5.5 is Too Fast for their applications. We've had people ask us for motors that are Slower then the 5800. The same is true for the HV system. I'm sure this sounds crazy to a Racer, Less Power, But it's true. Limiting the Radio is fine and dandy, but some don't want to do it that way. You'll get more runtime out of the 6.5 as well. They are the same price because they are the same motor, just different Turns. Just like regular motors. An 8 turn cost the same as a 12 turn.

Back to the SS5800. I guess I should clarify a bit. From most poeple that have told us about the SS5800 in High Traction On Road, it's probably more rated to a 15-19 turn. In and Offroad Car they say 11-12 turn. This is with the SS ESC that is currently available.

Thanks Guys
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by highwayman
can i just quantify... 7turn x 1 Revolution motor? or 7turn 7x1 Kr motor or 7single cobalt motor?

thanks - jason
Thanks Charlie for answering our most wanted to know question....9-10T that is.

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 06-03-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Is Velociti5.5/6.5 share the same basic hardware with SS5800 motor? Or the internal structure is completely different with SS5800 motor?

Back to my 5800 problem, my track is very high traction and mostly design for GP, fast layout. I don't know if that cause the problem, but it seems to me the SS5800 system's main problem is the power band just doesn't work at my track. With 7.x gear my 415 accelerate very well but because the track is large with many straight it got beaten at end-speed badly. With 6.7x gear I can do the higher top but acceleration beaten badly. So I really don't know how to correct my problem.

My friend's 5800 share about the same problem, he also playing at a large, GP oriented track.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

From my experience with the 5800 it performs like an 11t on-road. I am able to keep up with 10t cobalts and Krs. They do have a little bi more top end but in the turns it seems I have a little bit more acceleration. Right now i am very competitive with the 5800 and can't wait for the new 5.5
Old 06-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
You are asking too much.....it is close to 7-8T motor that you can buy from the LHS......not a 7-8T TEAM DRIVER's motor.........or V2 or whatever....but I am sure that is FAST enough for everyone.
Speed never enough (tm)
same as
Money never enough (tm)
Old 06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Charlie,

Could you help me to understand why Novak doesn't seem to be ready or willing to offer some user control of the effective 'timing' of a brushless controler like the GTB? Other brushless controlers such as the Schluze U-Force 75, and even the Mamba-25 have the ablity to allow the user to play with the timing of the system... It would seem to me as a racer, it would really be nice to have some control over this type of thing, and I wonder why Novak isn't offering it.

Also... Does Novak have any willingness to offer firmware updates that can be done by the user? Again others like Schluze and even the Castle Creations stuff allow for this. I personaly think this would be a very nice if Novak would offer this option as well. What is Novak's thinking along these lines?

In anohter thread (the one about the LRP Sphere) I gave the on-resistance figures that Novak has published. (.00040/phase brushless and .00013 brushed). A user here known as AI2 speculated that Novak's meaning of .00040/phase, might actualy mean that is half of the total resistance across the controler when used in brushless... Can you address this and/or clarify exactly what .00040/phase means?

(sorry for all the questions, but I'd really like to get the answers to these right from somone like who is associated with Novak directly) Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ttso
Hey Howard, wanna do some brushless now?...
I guess you will love brushless because the driving feeling is very much close to GP, free throttle and it will free roll, no drag brake (unless you setup in purpose). And most important, it's even easier than engine, no maintenance what so ever
Titus....yes, I have been using the Novak SS5800 for some little racing, unfortunitely, the 5800 is no match with my V2 8T, and when the whole track are using 7T and 8T, BL 5800 is like watching paint dry.....
I do love the idea of the brushless....but just waiting to see something like this GTB before I sending my hard earning $250..............just love GP car, no need to worry about needle setting, no need to worry about tires (using foams, almost any foams will get hook ups), just need to spend some money to replace my 2 years old 3300 batteries....LOL

P.S....for those who think GP is faster then EP....think again.......

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 06-03-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

On some tracks and some conditions the 5800 is faster then others. Just kind of depends on what you are using it for. Most High Traction Onroad Users tell us its like a 15-19 turn. (Again).

The Timing Chaning Issues, bring up many other problems for usage. Just like it does with regular motors. People have enough to mess with just in gearing and the mechanical timing in the motor. Variable Timing and "auto timing" are all on the horizon for brushless. It'll be like Electric V-Tec one day. Pick a profile for when you want the kick. At this time, what can be done is fairly limited with the technology available. When the technology gets to the point that we can offer these features in an Easy to use streamlined type of package, we'll be all over it. But right now, we're just not there yet.

We have discussed offering some software "update-ability" but usally there is no way for us to add it to the ESC with out it getting bigger, or the ESC needing to be Taken nearly completely apart. This is not something we want customers doing themselves just yet.

As for the phaze ratings, Don't Quote me on this, but basically, a Brushless ESC is like 3 regular ESCs. Each Phaze has a coil to fire. So each phaze has an on resistance rating. When the Novak Brushless ESC goes to Brushed mode, all 3 phazes work together, essentially turning 3 ESCs into 1. So the onresistance is lowered further. This is why all 3 of the wires get soldered to the Negative of the Motor. It just uses them all at the same time like it's one big ESC.

On resistance is the calculation of the ratings of the fets. The more fets in parallel, the more division is done, so the rating is lower and lower. I'll go double check, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

The Velociti Motors are Slightly different then the SS motors, but basically the same for the most part.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 06-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

hi charlie

would you please answer the questions I asked some posts back...

....if you canīt limit those motor through esc programs,so is it possible to limit them on the transmitter?

in the description you wrote that the esc has a factory installed heatsink and fan, since Iīll probably never run the gtb on itīs limit, I surely need no fan, is it removable?

hope to see some better pics soon- keep up the good work....

thank you
Old 06-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Charlie
We have discussed offering some software "update-ability" but usally there is no way for us to add it to the ESC with out it getting bigger, or the ESC needing to be Taken nearly completely apart. This is not something we want customers doing themselves just yet.
I am sure the technology is a little different since the Novak is sensored but Castle Creations accomplished this without increasing the size of the esc and all the data is transferred through the rx plug on the esc. Just FYI.

esc

programmer via usb
Old 06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Personally, I buy Novak because it is a LOCAL USA service, if something wrong, at least I can talk to someone and the turn around is within weeks...I am not sure LRP will be the same, I heard those who has QC2 has to send those thing to EUROPE LRP (AE does not do service for LRP, just sales) and turnaround was 4-6 months.
I don't mean to go off-topic, but this isn't true. I got my Quantum Comp serviced by sending it to AE and it they did a perfectly fine job servicing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.