Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
I am not a club racer, but I do know a little bit about tuning:

Try some toe out in the front, and get rid of any toe in you might have. I would imagine that the softer springs are in the front, the more mechanical grip you'd get, so try lessening the spring rates slightly in the front. Do you have the TRF dampers?

Hey guys I just got a TA-05 used. However the lower arms have A LOT (1cm) of movement front and back along the hingepin... is this normal?
Normally there are spacers between the arms and the hinge blocks to allow you to adjust the wheelbase. If all of these were missing I still don't think there'd be 1cm of space -- maybe 5mm. Mine did loosen up over time until there was about 2mm of slop and I shimmed it back out, leaving just enough so nothing would bind.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try some toe out in the front, and get rid of any toe in you might have. I would imagine that the softer springs are in the front, the more mechanical grip you'd get, so try lessening the spring rates slightly in the front. Do you have the TRF dampers?

Hey guys I just got a TA-05 used. However the lower arms have A LOT (1cm) of movement front and back along the hingepin... is this normal?
1cm? Some of the spacers maybe missing there. See your manual.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry, I meant around 5mm (my eye told me 1cm)

I bought this used.

Dang, I figured the guy would've built this a little better. It's set up for drifting, but a lot of the screws are half stripped, and these shims missing.

Can I order this part? I think I'll have to buy a few parts to tune this up anyways.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

5mm still seems an awful lot, considering the shims come in 0.1/0.2/0.3mm. I think you are probably missing some spacers.

The standard TA05 uses the plastic ones, which are on the A part tree.

If you are using the LW ones on the TA05R, that uses this: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53539

I think they are interchangable anyway.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are absolutely NO spacers on these hingepins. I'll have to find those spacers.

Also, are there any particularly good screw sets for the TA05? I see there are quite a few to choose from.

Thanks for any and all responses!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For screws, your quickest and possibly the least expensive route would be to check out your local hardware store. A good hardware has a metric section. All the screws are 3mm. Get a handful of stainless steel button head and flat hex socket screws of lengths 5 8 10 12 14 and 23 mm. This will take care of all the screws except the ones that hold the lay shaft and the servo.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestion, I also heard about Tony's screws, but I will check out my local stores first. Lowes and Home Depot are the only places which are really "hardware" stores around here. Maybe I've always walked by the screws...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yes, I have the TRF dampers. But I thought that it should be softer in the rear not front. I have yellow springs all around. Maybe i can go with a softer stabalizer up front and that will help it some. THanks

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

If your car is too stiff on one end, the weight will more likely shift to the side where the springs are softer. The more weight, the more grip on that side.

If you put softer springs in the rear, on any throttle, you will have more weight shift to the rear, and you will have more understeer. If you put softer springs in the front, then the weight will more likely be in the front, and you will have better turning. There's a point where the front is too soft though, and you spin out.

I am not sure exactly how stabilizers affect performance since I've never played with them, and only have read and thought about their effects, but it seems that stabilizers will also act similar to a spring, but are mainly used to control body roll.

There is something about stabilizers that affect the car's weight shift side to side that shocks cannot do...I really don't know what the difference it is to put in stiffer shocks compared to shocks with a stabilizer. Maybe someone here could answer that.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the help. Gotta do more tuning before the big race in 2 weeks.

Can someone here shed light on stabalizer bars please and there effects.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loriding69

The Hudy guide is kind of the bible of R/C car setup. Read this and you will know everything:

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...252739b1ad8c24
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by loriding69

Stabilizer bars are also called anti-roll bars. I've read somewhere that it is best described as a spring which acts on side to side weight shift (not front to back). When installed, stabilizers link the car's suspension together so that the left and right sides of the end with the stabilizer share the load when compressed. The effect of this is that the car rolls side to side less when stabilizers are installed. Up front, anti-roll bars make the car understeer; in the rear, it makes the car oversteer.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
The Hudy guide is kind of the bible of R/C car setup. Read this and you will know everything:

Man, that guide is pretty sweet.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine

Dude...........Why did you show me this, I was up half the night looking at it.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

That is an amazing guide...

My TRF dampers seem to be leaking at the bottom. Does the shaft normally get black residue from the oil? I had an HPI with oil filled dampers, and there was never any residue on the damper shaft.

Also where do you guys get your parts from? I am going to need to get a rear brace, servo mounts and hopefully find a center one way. Has anyone tried the 3 racing center one way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.