Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stocker
Any recommendations for a BL esc for 10.5-13.5 on the 05? I know the Tekin RS will fit, but I don't see them anywhere near my location anytime soon. The Novak seems a little bit too big. thanks!
The RS is a beast of a speedo, I been running one all summer in the buggy and it barely gets warm.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any recommendations for a BL esc for 10.5-13.5 on the 05? I know the Tekin RS will fit, but I don't see them anywhere near my location anytime soon. The Novak seems a little bit too big. thanks!
The Novak will fit in the TA05, I know a couple people who use it in theirs. Which by default also means that the new Losi Xcelerin will also fit. I personally use the LRP Sphere(the original without the power cap) in my TA05 and now my TA05 IFS. Not only does it fit better than the Novak, but its also blue...which is always something to consider when running a Tamiya.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
The Novak will fit in the TA05, I know a couple people who use it in theirs. Which by default also means that the new Losi Xcelerin will also fit. I personally use the LRP Sphere(the original without the power cap) in my TA05 and now my TA05 IFS. Not only does it fit better than the Novak, but its also blue...which is always something to consider when running a Tamiya.
x2 on the Sphere. Fits great
Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well, I am leaving on road... And going off road. Well, off the ground completely...

TA05 for sale

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...91#post4682191
Old 08-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loriding69
x2 on the Sphere. Fits great
Thanks all! Am I right to say the Sphere TC Spec and Competition have no reverse, and only the SPX series have reverse? I've read some horror stories about the sensor wire not well connected resulting in smoked motors, so actually would prefer a manually selectable brushed/BL modes. Since I am only running 10.5/13.5, which should I get?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks all! Am I right to say the Sphere TC Spec and Competition have no reverse, and only the SPX series have reverse? I've read some horror stories about the sensor wire not well connected resulting in smoked motors, so actually would prefer a manually selectable brushed/BL modes. Since I am only running 10.5/13.5, which should I get?
SPX !
Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Regional Moderator

I wont lie to you, I don't trust the Sphere Competition or Sphere TC spec. A lot of TEAM GUYS use them, and a lot of TEAM GUYS don't seem to have problems with them, but A LOT of regular weekend racers seem to have problems with them.

That is why I have stuck with my standard Sphere. Its the one with manual brushed/BL selection, optional reverse, and no power cap. I never plan on going anything lower than 10.5, and this speedcontrol can handle that with ease.

If your only option is between the Sphere Competition/Sphere TC spec and another brand speedcontrol, then I would say get something else. BUT, if you can get a new or used standard Sphere cheap, I would say go with that without a doubt.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Yes, they have no reverse. As for the smoked motors, yes....... If you do not have the sensor wire plugged in either all the way or at all and you continue to try and hit the throttle then you will smoke the motor. But just hitting the throttle a few times (2-3) and realizing that you forgot to put the wire on is ok.

And to the Darkseid - I'm not sure of what problems you or others have had with the Sphere Comp but I have had 2 for the last year and haven't had a single issue with them and i'm not a team driver.......atleast not yet
Old 08-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

HI GUYS
just wondering..... how do you compensate for the batteries weight on the 05ifs-r so the chassis will be proper balanced??thanx
Old 08-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by guinnes.s
HI GUYS
just wondering..... how do you compensate for the batteries weight on the 05ifs-r so the chassis will be proper balanced??thanx
You can stick some weights distributed on the batt clamp or the space just in front of the batteries.

BTW, what esc do you have in your car? SP?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

well is leaning more on the batteries side,how do you check if the car is balanced ok?
and yes is a SP GT,i did need to cut off some plastic from the chassis to be able to fit it,is a great speedo btw
Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by loriding69
And to the Darkseid - I'm not sure of what problems you or others have had with the Sphere Comp but I have had 2 for the last year and haven't had a single issue with them and i'm not a team driver.......atleast not yet
I haven't had any problems, because I use the standard Sphere.

Just do a search around the boards, you'll find plenty of problems with the Sphere Comp. and Sphere TC Spec. Mostly centering around the automated Brushed/BL selection causing problems. That, combined with LRP's not so great rep for customer service, and that makes for a bad combo.

If you've had great luck with them, knock on wood for you that they keep working well. But lots of other people haven't been as lucky.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Regional Moderator

well is leaning more on the batteries side,how do you check if the car is balanced ok?
Well this is tough, most people are running LiPo now, so we're all looking to balance the other way. Normally, what we do is just add weights, but there isn't much room on your car on the electronics side. I do know that there is space between the chassis and the servo (under the servo) on the car. Perhaps you can fit some thin weights under there. But thats about all can see room for.

As for how to balance...I've found that the easiest/cheapest way to check the balace of a car is to get yourself some balancing pegs. Then, since the TA05/IFS doesn't have balancing holes built in, just use the front bumper screw as the front balancing hole, then make a balancing hole at the back of the chassis by measuring from side to side on the chassis and finding the middle. Then just make a nice little indent using a small drill bit, and you set. Put the car on the pegs and add weights to the proper side till the car is balanced.

The more expensive, but more precise way is to do it is to get/make a 4 digital scale set up. That allows you to measure weight at all four corners, and do some pretty precise balancing not only left to right, but corner to corner.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

and yes is a SP GT,i did need to cut off some plastic from the chassis to be able to fit it,is a great speedo btw
Oh, I thought it was the other way around, as Darkseid mentioned, most are using LiPos. Weights on the left is a little tougher to find space on the chassis. Perhaps on the side of the chassis?

Can you share how much you had to cut off? or a close up on the area you had to cut off?

thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can add lead weights...
- Under your ESC
- on top of your servo
- in the space between the servo and motor (then mount your receiver on top of it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.