Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CoreyW.
Well, yet another successful weekend for the T4! We were able to TQ and finish 2nd at the Halloween classic against a small but stout field -Keven Hebert, Josh Cyrul, Ray Darroch, Andrew Knapp to name a few. The car only needed a few tweaks from the setup we have been playing with since IIC. During the weekend, we had a tenth quicker hot lap(consistently I might add) than Keven and Andrew qualified almost 4 seconds ahead of him. This was especially exciting given the fact that Kevin was the only person really giving Ronald Volker a hard time at the IIC. The final was a fantastic race, both almost bumper to bumper for the entire 6 minute up until the final set of corners where Andrew made a last ditched effort to get by after an earlier bobble. Kevin is incredibly good out front and probably the hardest person to pass in RC As they came around the sweeper onto the straight they were side by side and they touched, as a result both needed to be marshalled. Andrew was marshalled a little quicker and therefore could have driven away for the win but he decided to stay put and let Kevin go across the line first. Andrew knew he forced the issue and decided it was not the way he wanted to win - a great move in the eyes of most. Despite losing the main, it was a great weekend and we learned even more about the new car and what it needs to be a legitimate contender.

One thing that I found very interesting was during the prep for the main. I noticed that I had not installed any screws to hold the spool cups securely to the spool itself(we all make mistakes right? )so like a good mechanic, I corrected my "mistake" and installed the screws. Up until the main, every round we had been clear of Keven by a tenth allowing Andrew to control the pace, but for some strange reason we lost that tenth in the main. We went from 9.2 to 9.3 and this small difference allowed Keven(he was also doing 9.3's) to pressure Andrew right from the start. After a debrief with Andrew, he informed me that the car was a little more "edgy" but other than that the car was almost identical to the runs previous. So now I have a suspicion that maybe the screws vs. no screws in the spool had something to do with it. Have I stumbled across something here? Unfortunately, I will have to wait till the weekend to test this but I thought I would throw it out there for people to discuss.
What does he find the difference to be between the outer camber link position and the middle position?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Or perhaps trying a couple of thick rubber O-rings behind the outdrives and screwed in?
I do not think that would work like well as it would bind up the shafts especially since we run 52mm. I have been thinking about this allot and I feel it has something to do with the cups moving freely along with the shafts causing less bind when turning or when weight tranfers front to rear. The movement is little but it could be just enough to make a difference.

We will know after the test I guess.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skiddins
What does he find the difference to be between the outer camber link position and the middle position?
Front or rear? And are you referring to the inside camber link positions?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Front or rear? And are you referring to the inside camber link positions?
Yes, sorry, the inner upper link positions and their effect at either end.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Not sure why you would erase this, but I agree, plastic spool cups aren't great. I run the side piece racing cups with blades and they are great.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

After a few race days I'm sure the plastic spool cups get a small grove inside them where the bone rides . And I would figure it would torque the drive and try to pull the bone into the grove . With my old top car we would put a new set on every race day ... they were cheap and soft tho have no clue about the X-ray cups
Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
After a few race days I'm sure the plastic spool cups get a small grove inside them where the bone rides . And I would figure it would torque the drive and try to pull the bone into the grove . With my old top car we would put a new set on every race day ... they were cheap and soft tho have no clue about the X-ray cups
I don't like dnf's! That's why I run Nikita's!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Spool cups

How about using 2 mm longer screws that will bottom out against each other inside the spool and allow 2mm of movement by the spool cups . Could be risky since the flat spots that are on the spool cups are about 3mm .
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

What's wrong with the xray steel out drives? Well other than price I'm sure...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
What's wrong with the xray steel out drives? Well other than price I'm sure...
Nothing, but in modified the blades wear out very quickly. The Nikita's are the same diameter as the blades so they are excellent.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I do not think that would work like well as it would bind up the shafts especially since we run 52mm. I have been thinking about this allot and I feel it has something to do with the cups moving freely along with the shafts causing less bind when turning or when weight tranfers front to rear. The movement is little but it could be just enough to make a difference.

We will know after the test I guess.
Were you running DCJ's?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
Nothing, but in modified the blades wear out very quickly. The Nikita's are the same diameter as the blades so they are excellent.
Not sure what u mean . Do they not use blades ?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Lightbulb

The Nikita's use blades but contact point with the
blades have a bigger surface area. The blades and
outdrives last longer.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Got ya..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.